University of Iowa Reviews

Reset
4.0
University of Iowa President Sally K. Mason
Sally K. Mason

Pros
  • great people, interesting projects, great benefits (in 13 reviews)

• very good benefits and working environments (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is low-pay, but only because the job is created as a learning experience for students (in 7 reviews)

• Not a lot of job search help for graduate students in the hard-sciences looking to get a job in industry (in 4 reviews)

1. Good University to work for

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a graduate research assistant, the benefit is pretty good, health & dental insurance are very good. Especially if you work for hospital, in addition to the tuition, the miscellaneous fees will also be paid. Consider the low living cost in the mid west, UI is pretty awesome to be considered to work for!

Cons

You don't have much choice to negotiate with employer about the salary

2. Student Kitchen Worker

Former Employee - Student Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Student Employee in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- friendly, helpful, patient coworkers and supervisors - learned a lot about food prep - responsibility and autonomy - free food

Cons

- made $7.95/hr - boss kept scheduling me for times I had class (accidentally) and left it to me to find someone to cover for me - workers (especially dishwashers) on the last shift of the day often had to work hours past the end time on the schedule - didn't get schedule for Tuesday until Sunday

Advice to Management

Work on scheduling.

3. Research Associate

Former Employee - Associate Research Scientist in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Associate Research Scientist in Iowa City, IA

Pros

Lots of vacation time Encouraging of staff to take up projects outside of work Entreprenurial resources available to all Some tuition assistance available Excellent health care Excellent retirement benefits Access to all University's educational resources Immigration help

Cons

If your supervisor does not want you to grow you are stuck Remuneration less than peers in private sector Complete lack of growth

Advice to Management

Try to encourage growth in a non-painful way, like useless performance reviews. Encourage thinking outside the box

5. Teaching Assistant

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and relatively easy class load.

Cons

It was incredibly hard to survive on the compensation.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting to get your TAs more money. They carry an important part of the teaching schedule and need to be respected by the University.

6. Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, pay and benefits

Cons

Uncertainty related to project and job funding.

Advice to Management

Plan better when hiring students and appreciate the research effort.

7. Student Instructional Technology Assistant

Former Employee - Student Instructional Technology Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Student Instructional Technology Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Really enjoyed working with high-performing faculty and staff -Was confronted with interesting problems and the necessary resources to solve them -Great people on my team -Management didn't waste my time

Cons

-The (ever-changing) bureaucracy of the ITS department was challenging to navigate at times -At times, the absence of direction was frustrating

Advice to Management

Figure out what ITS is supposed to be doing, create clear expectations for each team, and work hard to prevent mission creep.

8. Short term good - long term question

Current Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great benefits - good health insurance, fantastic quality of doctors and providers at the University Hospitals and Clinics. Pay is ok. Grad students are unionized, which really helps protect rights, and the union fights for its members.

Cons

Battles at leadership and governmental levels make the long term forcast concerning - the University, like so many others across the country, is heading in a clearly business-focused path, which means that professors and instructors are devalued and administrators are over valued.

Advice to Management

Decrease or reign in the number of administrators and sometimes outrageous salaries for administrators (particularly compared with what professors get paid).

9. Great workplace. Tough to get funding.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The University of Iowa has a very friendly and collaborative research environment. People are almost always willing to share and help.

Cons

If you do not have a grant then job security is very poor. It is difficult to get funding from the department of defense and from the American Cancer Society if you don't live on one the coasts.

Advice to Management

Nurture the collaborative environment. Help the young investigators get funding. I don't really know what else to say here so I'm just filling up space.

10. Great Benefits

Current Employee - Customer Service in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, UIHC really takes care of their employees. Paid vacation and sick days, amazing insurance, discounted gym memberships, retirement...

Cons

From what I've heard, there is a 3 year waitlist for parking.

Advice to Management

I only work in a small sector of the hospital, so I don't think I can speak for everyone. I have not had the best experience with my upper management, they're great people, but I think they need to listen more carefully to employee's thoughts and concerns.

11. Decent School to work at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a large school so there is a lot of opportunity and potential for growth. Lots of good resources and other teachers to interact with.

Cons

I would like if it was more cohesive, I worked in the business building so there was lots of different ideas.

RSS Feed </> Embed