University of Iowa Reviews

Reset

1. University of Iowa - International Programs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I worked at University of Iowa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great faculty to work with, exposure to different cultures and languages

Cons

Toxic and unwelcoming environment created by International Programs leadership & some employees which hindered the work that needed to be done. No team environment.

2. Short term good - long term question

Current Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great benefits - good health insurance, fantastic quality of doctors and providers at the University Hospitals and Clinics. Pay is ok. Grad students are unionized, which really helps protect rights, and the union fights for its members.

Cons

Battles at leadership and governmental levels make the long term forcast concerning - the University, like so many others across the country, is heading in a clearly business-focused path, which means that professors and instructors are devalued and administrators are over valued.

Advice to Management

Decrease or reign in the number of administrators and sometimes outrageous salaries for administrators (particularly compared with what professors get paid).

3. All depends on where you work

Current Employee - Iowa in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Iowa in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits package If you work in the right area, you get to do cool things and help people. Many good people work here.

Cons

Lots of turnover in management right now. Board of Regents is not positive towards us right now. Moving toward a business model that is not as employee or student friendly. If you work in the wrong area you can be totally hosed.

Advice to Management

Put education and people first. Who ends up in the open positions can have a huge impact on the University and people who work there.

5. Good compensation and cause, awkward culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation packages tend to be generous for permanent hires. Environment is intellectually and socially stimulating.

Cons

Organization is bureaucratic and slow to move. Wide range of performance is tolerated, from full engagement to phoning it it. Leadership is always on the defensive.

Advice to Management

Resist the impulse to stay in the bunker. Make and articulate bold choices rooted in institutional values.

6. Great workplace. Tough to get funding.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The University of Iowa has a very friendly and collaborative research environment. People are almost always willing to share and help.

Cons

If you do not have a grant then job security is very poor. It is difficult to get funding from the department of defense and from the American Cancer Society if you don't live on one the coasts.

Advice to Management

Nurture the collaborative environment. Help the young investigators get funding. I don't really know what else to say here so I'm just filling up space.

7. Great Benefits

Current Employee - Customer Service in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, UIHC really takes care of their employees. Paid vacation and sick days, amazing insurance, discounted gym memberships, retirement...

Cons

From what I've heard, there is a 3 year waitlist for parking.

Advice to Management

I only work in a small sector of the hospital, so I don't think I can speak for everyone. I have not had the best experience with my upper management, they're great people, but I think they need to listen more carefully to employee's thoughts and concerns.

8. Teaching Assistant

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Iowa City, IA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to develop teaching and art skills while in graduate school. The graduate student union was strong and advocated for TAs aggressively. My experience was positive, though I was already in a solid position when I applied.

Cons

I didn't have any cons while I worked at the campus. Student workers were treated well, and the university maintained a focus on learning, creativity, and excellence.

Advice to Management

Don't accept the ridiculous proposal for students to "vote out" faculty. As a TA I relied on student feedback to provide me information to improve, and the "shark tank" culture being proposed for university implementation will only lead to terminations based in bias and discrimination rather than quantifiable contributions to excellence at the University.

9. great place to work if you like teaching or research

Current Employee - Associate Research Scientist in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Associate Research Scientist in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Academic environment provides challenging scientific projects to work on and intelligent people to interact with. Great benefits.

Cons

Somewhat isolated and less career options compared to metro areas. Salaries not very competitive due to the same reason.

Advice to Management

I have not much advice to the management as I have been pretty much self managed the whole time of my employment. There is an annual employee self evaluation, which is one of the rare opportunities of interaction between me and my supervisor. The management of research staff and activities is different from managing an enterprise I guess.

10. revenue Cycle

Former Employee - Revenue Cycle Representative in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Revenue Cycle Representative in Iowa City, IA

Pros

good benefits, Alot of nice people

Cons

Management sucks at least in the coding department

Advice to Management

can't do the jobs without doctors

11. Diverse, more programs, offer more courses, very good for hydraulics, hydrology, water resources students

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA

Pros

Renowned hydraulics lab is a part of Civil department

Cons

I do not have any cons

RSS Feed </> Embed