University of Iowa

Updated December 8, 2014
4.1

University of Iowa President Sally K. Mason
Sally K. Mason

Pros
  • Great benefits, great community in which to live and raise a family (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, quiet place to live, no traffic, easy access to various facilities, low living cost (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is low-pay, but only because the job is created as a learning experience for students (in 7 reviews)

• Graduate students often just explained enough to get through the experiments, only given simple online training for safety hazards (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

ITS - Student System Analyst

Current Employee - Student Systems Analyst in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Student Systems Analyst in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great job for students, flexible hours, great co workers, and awesome experience. Got tons of hands on hardware experience as well as software configuration experience. Lastly gain some customer service skills while support university employees.

Cons

The pay is not great, but not horrible either. A little bit over minimum wage. For a job that requires a decent skill set, it would be nice if you received better compensation. In the end it is a student job so cant knock them too hard for this. Also wish the full time staff would work more with the students to show them more of the advanced software tools to help increase our experience.

You're doing very well; treat students with respect as equals compared to other employees.

Cambus

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time

Pros

student ran, opportunity for advancement, only open to current University of Iowa students, raises every 6 months. Great people and great place to work.

Cons

There are no cons to working at Cambus.

Resident Assistant Review

I worked at University of Iowa

Pros

Great Pay and good experience for future careers. Get the opportunity to meet new people and do not have to pay for housing.

Cons

Some of the tasks that you are required to do seem childish. The top of the department micromanages RA's and doesn't really interact with the RA's or listen to their opinion

Don't listen to people with PHD's that never inteact with Iowa students, listen to the people on the ground.

I've only worked as a TA in the Computer Science department, but overall I've had no major complaints.

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It completely depends on which professor you are teamed with, but my experiences have been generally positive so far. The amount of work is appropriate, and they are as accommodating as possible with schedules.

Cons

The only real problems I've had have been related to miscommunication between professors and students on assignments. I have nothing negative to say about the work environment besides the fact that many of us did not have real offices due to space constraints, which for me is more of a minor inconvenience since I prefer to work at a coffee house, anyway. Oh, and TA assignments are rarely settled more than a couple weeks ahead of the semester's start--at least I knew that I would have one, just not which class.

Loved working here, this is a great place to work during college

Current Employee - Assistant Service Technician in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Assistant Service Technician in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training process was easy, the city is great it has a great environment. They give you off for breaks too which is one of my favorite things because you get to visit family for thanksgiving and christmas.

Cons

It is horribly cold in the winter along with super icy every where you go because they use sand to get rid of it and not salt.

Great place to work, do research and study

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

peaceful work environment, very accessible, don't have to spend too much time traveling, good insurance and benefits, good salary for this geographic area given the standard of living.

Cons

Employment opportunities limited, work culture varies with labs.

Teaching assistant

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got a chance to help my student and upgrade my knowledge and there is good environment to all access that help you to teaching and helping students. There is good compensation and it is well ranked university too.

Cons

I did not see any bad approach from any leaderships administration. They are really helpful and try their best to equip you with all necessary materials.

It is good to have such good environment in work places and it is to the more profitable to work with your employee very closely. This helps not only to the growth of personal relationship but also to the development and prosperity of the company.

UIowa is a good place to work, and Iowa City is a nice town.

Former Employee - Research Scientist
    Former Employee - Research Scientist

I worked at University of Iowa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was surrounded by excellent colleagues and helpful support staff. The benefits are good, although they have been trimmed considerably in recent years. Iowa City is a nice place to live, like Madison, WI in many ways, but smaller.

Cons

The administration is overly focussed on money, instead of on teaching or research achievements. Professors are rewarded for how much grant money they bring in; it matters little if they are excellent teachers, fantastic committee members, or if they publish awesome papers in the best journals. Money matters here. Older employees are not valued (unless they are bringing in money), and it has been sad to see professors retire (before they wanted to, but funds dried up) with little recognition for their years of service.

Consider learning about leadership, motivation, and success. I recommend TED talks as a start. The focus on money is demoralizing to the faculty and staff here.

Steady but uninteresting

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on your boss it's low stress, easy work.

Pay is decent, benefits are very good.

Cons

Not a lot of room for regular employees to innovate, only the "chosen ones" by management can introduce changes

Subpar learning environment for a college

Raises are pretty small and bad employees get the same as the good

Need to reduce the red tape and cut down on waste from certain employees

Encourage low level employees to suggest and develop changes instead of fellow MBAs

University admin assistant

I worked at University of Iowa

Pros

Great work environment with lots of supportive staff. Challenging yet fair. Overall a good place to work. Pay is competitive and benefits and very good. Not much else to choose from in iowa.

Cons

Too much red tape in moving up. Felt pigeon holed and didn't see an further growth or incentives to stay. Found work in Minnesota and relocated. Happy to have worked there.