University of Kentucky

University of Kentucky Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

University of Kentucky President Dr. Eli Capilouto

Dr. Eli Capilouto

Pros
  • I had a great supervisor (VP) who promotes a good work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits, company values, can not say enough good about them(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay if you are simply "staff'(in 6 reviews)

• No raises for faculty and staff for the last two years, heading for three years now(in 3 reviews)

A place good to live

Manager (Current Employee) Lexington, KY

Prosgood working environment, nice people, good place to live. A middle size city which has everything, but not very crowded. I like Lexington, so U of Kentucky is a good place to work.

ConsU of Kentucky is a different employer now, especially after 2012. The new president cares more about making money and cut off a lot of research funding. I think UKY will eventually turns to a non-research school.

great place to work

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsBenefits are fantastic, especially retirement and healthcare.

Consnone, this is a great place to work as a RN

Great expericence as a graduate research assistant in the University of Kentucky

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsMost people are very friendly. Lexington is a mid-size college town. Lots of young people. Life is pretty convenient if you have a car. Good work-life balance. Living expense is relatively cheap compared with east and west coasts. The weather is usually nice, and has clear four seasons. Close to great smoky mountains and mammoth cave.

ConsDo not have too many R&D job opportunities in Kentucky. Sometime can feel boring since there are not too many entertainment in town besides cinemas, bars or restaurants.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very laid back atmosphere

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsSupervisors were helpful while giving you freedom to develop your own courses. No micromanaging!

ConsThere were not many connections made outside of Kentucky, or really even Lexington.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher stipend pay would be nice!

research assistant

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY

Prosrelaxing environment, culture, go big blue

Consbenefits, not any more, not much cons

Work

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsCo workers here offer the best in team atmosphere. No one here works alone or struggles to keep their head above water. Someone is always available to help

ConsThe challanges of working here include a manager that manages on the tattle tale principal. It often creates a working environment that is uncomfortable and has resulted in a mass exodus of staff in recent weeks

I expected more

ProsGreat 2x IRA match! Smart and engaging colleagues and some schedule flexibility.

ConsPassive aggressive bosses. Also the "good ole boy" network seems to be alive and well here and there is limited academic freedom.

Good Company

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsJob Security - As long as you do your work.
    One of the better retirement in Lexington.
    Now family members are able to take advantage of the educational benefits that previously were only for employees use.

ConsUpper Administration is very heavy. If more time and money was spent on the education of the students and support staff, it would be a much better place to work.

If you're willing to learn and have a positive attitude then you'll grow.

ProsIf you seek growth throughout the University then you will find your opportunity.

ConsMany lifetime workers have negative attitudes and are upset that new employees get paid more but it's because the older employees don't see to grow to other positions so their salary stays the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent.

The University of Kentucky Department of Otolaryngology is a great place to work.

Staff Support Associate II (Former Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsWorking with the Department of Otolaryngology was the best job I have ever had. Great staff, excellent physicians, overall an outstanding workplace. Everyone in the department went above and beyond the call of duty to help the department excel.

The university has a very good benefits package.The two times employee 403K deposit match is particularly generous.

ConsUK is a large organization and the bureaucracy is often cumbersome.

State budget cuts often prevent employee raises.It is not unusual to go two or more years without a raise.

Campus parking is a nightmare, particularly during football season when stadium lots are unavailable.

University management doesn't pay attention to feedback from staff. Many surveys are taken, few changes ever happen.

Worked for University of Kentucky? Contribute to the Community!