University of Leeds
www.leeds.ac.uk Leeds, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

University of Leeds Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
University of Leeds – Leeds – “University of Leeds”

University of Leeds Vice Chancellor Michael Arthur

Michael Arthur

PhD researcher at the University.

PhD Researcher (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsThe University of Leeds offers an enjoyable environment and easy access to its staff in a great variety of department and competencies.

ConsLack of communication and information within staff. It can be difficult to get in touch with the person that one needs to talk to for a particular problem due to the lack of information given to researchers on the current staff, and who to contact.

Decent working environment

(Former Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsFor many people the university is typical of many stable academic institutions and will offer its non-academic staff a pleasant working environment, ample holidays and plenty of interesting activities when off-the-clock. All in all, the university treats its staff reasonably and most people seem happy.

ConsRemuneration is definitely on the low side compared to working in the private sector, but this is typical of most universities. Only found out I had been 'opted out' of the pension a good while after the fact, without ever having been consulted. I was furious about this. Sometimes it can be tricky to get things to happen, especially with IT. Persistence and knowing where someone's office is can help when it gets too much!

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into why some people have been 'opted out' of the pension system involuntarily. It would seem to be a serious breach of the rules.

Subwarden

ProsGreat team that supports you if you make an effort.

ConsSometimes you have to constantly rework your schedule.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding experience

ProsIt helps to get work experience at an early stage and trains you for conditions once you're outside the University.

ConsIt does not give a work atmosphere and provide you with a strict work environment. interaction with colleagues is less.

I have gained a huge amount of experience in catering.

Prosgood salary, good management, the chance to upgrade your position,

Consusually late shifts and no free place for parking

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job! Well done!

Freedom to investigate within projects

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsGreat company pension contribution and work is limited to EU time constraints (although, personally I favour project management which gets the job done and not partially done within the time constraints).

ConsBosses are pushed towards publications meaning work can be highly pressured (but that is how I work best) and performance is rated on attainment and not attempts, so to be successful one has to not only work hard but work accurately.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more pro-active on training the people who can be leaders in their current field but also in other opportunities that may come their way. Better training in different applied skills would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty good place to do your PhD

PhD Student (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsGood facilities, good location, large body of experience to draw from, good social life, good range of professional development courses

ConsLong hours, limited opportunities to advance, lots of cut backs at the moment resulting in poor job security, poor car parking

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscuss changes with people on the ground rather than making changes that make no sense to the everyday running of the company

enjoyable but definitely room for improvement

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsLove the campus, other staff are friendly and helpful and the University promotes a happy and outgoing atmosphere. The University Union is great and everything you need is easily available. University grounds are well kept and simply beautiful in Spring/ Summer

ConsUnfortunately, Temp employees/ contractors/ agency workers are not entitled to the same perks as full time staff. Salary/ earnings are comparatively low compared to other organisations.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if temps/agency workers were entitled to some of the benefits of full time staff employed by the University.

Flexible place to work

Careers (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsFlexibility and able to work automonously.

ConsThere are little to no financial or promotional incentives once you get to the top of the scale in a post. You simply have to leave to move on. With the current cuts personal growth is compromised.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou could get so much more out of people through incentives (both financial and other). Also a willingness to look at how you enable to progress if they are not in an academic career.

My experience at leeds University was unique and life changing. I was given a lot of opportunities

PhD Researcher (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsThe entire atmosphere and environment.

ConsThe organisation and the lengthy time for project leading.

Worked for University of Leeds? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Leeds reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Leeds CEO Michael Arthur. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by University of Leeds employees.