University of Leeds Reviews

Reset
3.8
University of Leeds Chancellor Lord Melvyn Bragg
Lord Melvyn Bragg

Pros
  • A great working environment with supportive management and lots of opportunities to be involved in interdisciplinary research of a really high standard (in 5 reviews)

• Love the campus, other staff are friendly and helpful and the University promotes a happy and outgoing atmosphere (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Far too much paperwork making all internal processes very slow (in 5 reviews)

• Academic environment sometimes infringes upon a strong business minded approach - A flaw at most HE institutions however (in 4 reviews)

1. student

Current Employee - Postgraduate Student in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postgraduate Student in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great teaching, staff very approachable and can learn a lot to put you in good stead for various future career paths

Cons

big student population and large classes makes it quite difficult to feel like you're noticed. smaller classes and more one to one sessions/contact hours would make a big difference.

Advice to Management

creating more contact hours of teaching and more office hours for tutors to give more opportunities for constructive feedback would benefit everyone.

2. Research

Current Employee - Research in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds

Pros

Interesting and challenging work, supportive colleagues, encouraged to progress, great all round facilities and atmosphere, good salary scale.

Cons

Majority of people supportive and friendly but can be groups that are 'cliquey'

Advice to Management

More diversity of cultural backgrounds would be positive for the institution

3. Poor management=expense and suffering

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people trying to do a good job. Fabulous working with them and great students

Cons

Too many toxic teams, poor management ignoring poor behaviour.

Advice to Management

Recruit people with great management skills if you want to have a great university and retain great staff (and students)

5. Pay is good, very informal, casual environment, intelligent people

Former Intern - Intern in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Intern in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent, working environment is very informal. Since it's university based, chances are the people you'll work with are intelligent (former students, academics etc). Colleagues are very encouraging. Work life balance is supported.

Cons

Can take a long time to get on the payroll.

6. Postgraduate Office Assistant

Former Contractor - Postgraduate Office Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Postgraduate Office Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- The staff are all very friendly and eager to help you grow professionally. - Training is offer from day 1! - The salary is quite good for entry-level roles, considering it offers real opportunities for promotion.

Cons

- Some staff have very little to do while others have too much. There's not much balance between the staff. - Some days were boring, the job was not quite interesting. - There's no room for creativity AT ALL. Everything is planned out for you like a little script. You only follow rules and procedures, you cannot act accordingly to how situations arise. - Some offices were jammed while others had plenty of space.

Advice to Management

+ Be more flexible when it comes to resolving matters. Not everything has to fit into strictly written rules and procedures. + Provide more opportunities for creativity. + Provide more opportunities for young professionals to meet and connect. Most of the staff are rather old and the environment is unbalanced... + Provide better work space. You can't fit 3-4 people in one small office and then have two people have a big one!

7. Top research body in UK

Former Employee - Research Intern in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds

Pros

-Great experience in participating in a research project over the summer as an intern. From experimental design to conducting data collection, data analysis to writing up of a research report. -working very close to supervisors, great advice and support -self-motivational in completing the project

Cons

-limited in relevance to other career paths (perhaps this is specific to the area you focus in and what you want to do in future)

8. Great experience

Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible to fit around studies, well organised, good pay higher than minimum wage. The team leaders did a good job of allocating work based on demand and training sessions were useful.

Cons

At times it was very cold on the open days and doors had to be kept open in the halls for some reason. Some people were very lazy and should have been told to pick up the slack.

9. The overall experience was satisfactory and pleasant.

Former Employee - Sub Warden in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sub Warden in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The experience gained here is invaluable. Every minute detail would be a great insight. The team work would inhibit quite a lot of new talents and there is much more that can be learnt .

Cons

The timings of the work might not be always according to ones requirement.

10. This is a large institutions with many good innovations (but it does think a lot of itself)

Current Employee - Academic Skills Development Tutor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Academic Skills Development Tutor in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The campus is great - with some brilliant facilities and there are quite a lot of options for personal development. There are some good staff benefits, and, within the Lifelong Learning Centre, a great and lovely range of students.

Cons

The bureaucracy can be a bit unwieldy, and all the innovations mean there is always a struggle for space. Money is spent on buildings and promotional material - It would be good if there was more of a balance so it was also spent on staff to support the students (I really don't understand the cutbacks to library staff).

Advice to Management

Concentrate less on what an important and prestigious place Leeds University is, and more on making sure you have the facility to support all students - and why not encourage collaborations with all universities in the region? (why only focus on the other Russell Group institutions?).

11. Opportunity to pursue own interests

Current Employee - Lecturer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What I really love about working at the University of Leeds is that I am free to pursue my own interests within the framework of our strategy. So long as what I do fulfils the objectives, I am able to carve out my own route, which means I am always enthusiastic and motivated about what I am doing. I also like the opportunity to interact with people outside of my own Faculty across the whole organisation, and have the pleasure of working with some truly amazing and inspiring people. There are also great opportunities for personal development and a very positive and inclusive culture.

Cons

The only drawback is that I can be a victim of my own enthusiasm and that no-one will ever tell you not to do things. You need to be able to balance your own workload and priorities effectively here.

Advice to Management

Continue to give people the opportunity to grow and pursue their interests. It makes them more engaged and passionate about their work.

RSS Feed </> Embed