www.leeds.ac.uk

3.7

University of Leeds Vice Chancellor Michael Arthur
Michael Arthur

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The overall experience was satisfactory and pleasant.

Former Employee - Sub Warden in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sub Warden in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The experience gained here is invaluable. Every minute detail would be a great insight. The team work would inhibit quite a lot of new talents and there is much more that can be learnt .

Cons

The timings of the work might not be always according to ones requirement.

Opportunity to pursue own interests

Current Employee - Lecturer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

What I really love about working at the University of Leeds is that I am free to pursue my own interests within the framework of our strategy. So long as what I do fulfils the objectives, I am able to carve out my own route, which means I am always enthusiastic and motivated about what I am doing.
    I also like the opportunity to interact with people outside of my own Faculty across the whole organisation, and have the pleasure of working with some truly amazing and inspiring people.
    There are also great opportunities for personal development and a very positive and inclusive culture.

Cons

The only drawback is that I can be a victim of my own enthusiasm and that no-one will ever tell you not to do things. You need to be able to balance your own workload and priorities effectively here.

Continue to give people the opportunity to grow and pursue their interests. It makes them more engaged and passionate about their work.

Ambitious interdisciplinary research

Former Employee - Bioinformatics Research Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bioinformatics Research Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A great working environment with supportive management and lots of opportunities to be involved in interdisciplinary research of a really high standard. Work-life balance was very good, and managers allowed me a lot of freedom in working hours.

Cons

The future direction of the research faculty I was part of wasn't especially clear. There had been some cuts because of the recession which left some research areas looking a bit short staffed (although this wasn't true of my group which was well supported).

One of the worst and most stressful times of my life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you have nothing else to do in your life..

Cons

Professors with grants are like dinosaurs here, they do whatever they want to without giving any consideration to the careers of people working for them. They bully and harass the employees by putting all the blame on them even though the students and other staff are hired without their consent. At least my experience was such.

Take bold decisions against those PIs who have plenty of money but controversially try to grab and snatch everything. They bully, harass and enslave the employees by putting all the blame on them even though the students and other staff are hired without their consent. Any research student/staff who gets hired and is supposed to work with you, you should be asked about his/her credentials rather than just thumping on you. The post-docs end up working for these students rather than providing them with guidance.

Have people with some dignity and spine at key positions rather than the HoS of my department who was just running after my PI even though he knew everything about the PI's habits. People keep quite and bearing these atrocities because of their visas or some other scholarship bond at home and all such Professors exploit this to the best of their advantage. Nobody is there to make any situation better for them even though such PIs are destroying the careers of the employees working with them. To add insult to injury these PIs are offered special Lectureships and Fellowships so they can establish more slavery. Whoever will keep accepting their slavery will eventually be offered a fellowship or a lectureship depending upon the type of slavery. I have not seen more selfish people in my whole life than such professors. Ask the post-docs about how they feel and do something about it rather than just doing a routine survey. Please do something before people stop coming over here.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Clerical Grade III in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Clerical Grade III in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

An understanding employer, great holidays, pleasant working environment and a reasonable pay scale.

Cons

Hard work and commitment isn't always rewarded, some middle managers are weak and ignore laziness. Too many staff have too many sickness days. At times the culture can seem like a holiday camp.

Toughen up on the idle and those persistently off sick with minor complaints. One bad apple can potentially turn the whole team bad. Staff morale is lowered by witnessing managers turning a blind eye to the uncommitted.

Very good environment. great work ethic. room for improvement and career advancement slim.

Current Employee - Research Officer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Officer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good salary. Good experience. Very nice city to live in. Great work environment. challenging tasks and projects. Flexible hours which is always a plus.

Cons

Not a lot of benefits. Career would be fixed in the academia business. Research is challenging and exciting but it is mostly useful in such environments.

Professional and driven and a hubbub of multiple talents and backgrounds.

Former Employee - Alumni Fundraiser in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Alumni Fundraiser in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Forward-thinking culture and positive environment where every individual is acknowledged and cherished.

Cons

Not as many benefits as one would expect for such a high-ranking institution.

Spot and nurture aspiring and talented professionals.

Brilliant place to work, excellent facilities & staff benefits. Certainly one of the best employers in the country.

Current Employee - Computing Officer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Computing Officer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The working culture is very employee focused, with flexible working patterns being available. Great support available for staff and the facilities (such as the gym) are superb. Excellent holidays and the variety of work means no two days are the same. You meet a broad spectrum of people, from all walks of life and working on Campus is a breath of fresh air. Been at Leeds for five years and enjoyed every day.

Cons

Staff can become jaded or institutionalised if they've been working in the same job for too long so not everyone is as enthusiastic as myself. Neither are all the jobs as interesting as my own so I wouldn't say my views reflect everyone's.

The workload can be excessive on occasion, but there aren't many jobs where this isn't true.

Communication to staff could be better from a management level. Sometimes the focus to make ever structure "corporate" risks alienating the people who love their job and do it with passion. The focus should be on lifting up the people who are jaded, not penalising the people who love the institution.

Leeds by name but not by nature!

Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mostly very good people. It's a well known institution and is mid-ranking in the UK. The University has a lot of potential, but it needs to up its game.

Cons

The University does not know where it is going. Far too much concentration on strategy with no thought paid to delivery. Senior managers are very ego driven and do not think about consequences of their actions on the staff. Very difficult to get a decision made. Far too much paperwork making all internal processes very slow.

Take a moment to work out where the University is going. Stop the internal competition which encourages people to stay in their safe little silos. Do something rather than keep waiting to make a decision!

Lovely environment (worked at Weetwood sports facilities). Great work colleagues let down by senior management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent facilities, constantly being developed and improved.

Cons

If you like hockey, even better play or coach the sport you will be in demand and progress in work here. However don't expect a clear and transparent job pathway, Hockey players appear to be head hunted and given jobs. The facilities manager (although competent and efficient) seems to use his budget as a recruitment tool, to progress his own hobby.

Get to grips with the recruitment and personal opportunities at Weetwood. Scrutinise the accounts! Is this a University to support its current students or past students and weekend hockey? Surely BUCS on a wednesday is where money should be invested and financial support should not go to outside sports clubs.

University of Leeds Photos