University of Leeds
www.leeds.ac.uk Leeds, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

University of Leeds Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014
University of Leeds – Leeds – “University of Leeds”

University of Leeds Vice Chancellor Michael Arthur

Michael Arthur

Fantastic!

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsI was given excellent guidance, and was given task outlines perfectly. There was no shortage of work to do, though it was open ended, so I was given the freedom to expand on the projects as I wanted.

Very good 1 on 1 contact with supervisors of project.
    Worked alongside many great PhD students who were friendly.

ConsSometimes it was too much of a quiet environment, but this was easily remedied, as I was free to move to any workspace that was on offer.

great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proseveryone is really friendly and happy to answer any questions

Consnone - positive experience with no draw backs

Advice to Senior Managementall runs well

The best career move I ever made

Post Doc (Current Employee)

ProsLearning, training, experience, good people, relaxed environment, flexibility, reasonable salary.

ConsShort term contracts and uncertainty. Institutes in mech eng are top heavy and ts easy to be ignored. However, you need to look after number one, and get the best possible experience you can before moving on. Bureaucracy is unbelievably bad here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is advice to research councils. Stop/go money and mega competitive tendering for research money is not conducive to steady and collaborative research. It encourages bitter politics and paranoia.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An employer that gives its staff a lot of consideration.

IT Manager (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsFlexibility of working hours, terms and conditions. Friendly people. So much is given to staff that you are happy to give more back when it is needed without grumbling, like putting in extra hours.

ConsRed tape, bureacracy and paperwork (real or virtual) can sometimes be a barrier to completing tasks or in most cases draws out the time it takes. The academic/management 'hierarchy' can make it confusing who you need to get to make a decision on something. Too many and too frequent reviews and restructures of schools and institutes which result in extended periods of no progress due to financial freezing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDisseminate the management structure with the names of the individuals.

a great place to be depending on your department

Lab Assistant (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

Prosvibrant city and campus vibrant city and campus vibrant city and campus vibrant city and campus vibrant city and campus vibrant city and campus

Conssome old habits need to be replaced with new ideas some old habits need to be replaced with new ideas some old habits need to be replaced with new ideas some old habits need to be replaced with new ideas

My experience of working at the University of Leeds has been generally good with opportunity for progression

PhD Researcher (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsFantastic working environment with a focus on promoting interdisciplinary collaboration. There is good support from staff at higher levels and opportunities for development through workshops. Flexible hours and holiday are also a bonus

ConsSome of the support from information technology and purchasing finance is not up to scratch. These departments can actually be obstructive at times. Leadership positions need to be more carefully considered

Advice to Senior ManagementTry improve support to young researchers financially and in terms of future careers outside academia. supporting departments need to be refined in order to fascilitate productivity.

Generally, a lovely environment in which to work, if a bit a bureaucratic behemoth!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsSome of the campus is very attractive, although spoiled somewhat by hideous 1970's concrete buildings. The pay is good, and the work varied. As an employee you cross paths with lots of interesting people, and opportunities for networking are good, if you take them!

ConsMany curriculum approval processes are very bureaucratic and lengthy, and so the institution struggles to keep up with the speed of change in the modern age, particularly when compared to smaller competitors. Changes of policy are not always fully consulted on, or well-communicated.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out some bureaucracy, improve communications with staff and potential students.

Pleasant and rewarding

Student Ambassador (Former Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsA friendly community and pays well

ConsNo cons come to mind

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job, keep it up and don't become complacent

university of Leeds PhD researcher

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosexcellent location, laid back environment, ability to direct your own research, big push on research publication / conference travel / work in progress decimation. stipend is not too shoddy either.

Consthere are very few cons to speak of, campus life can be a little expensive, as can property rental in the city. Parking is non existent

Great place to work

Cleaner (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

Pros- Sense of community is good

Cons- Low pay
    - Can be long hours

Advice to Senior Management- Less levels

Worked for University of Leeds? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Leeds reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Leeds CEO Michael Arthur. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by University of Leeds employees.