University of Leicester Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
18 reviews filtered by
  • Leicester, England (UK)
3.9
CEO

1. Teaching assistant

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leicester (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Teaching students is always great.

Cons

The selection criteria for student intake is weak

2. University of Leicester

Former Contractor - Domestic Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Domestic Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leicester as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing stands out
    Given flexibility

Cons

Favouritism
    Not enough hours because it's 0hr contract

Advice to Management

No favouritism

3. Amazing part-time experience at Leicester Uni David Wilson Library

Former Employee - Quiet Patrol Team Member in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Quiet Patrol Team Member in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leicester part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supporting co-workers, stress free work schedule and award winning library team. The only problem is that some students dont care or understand the values of what we offer them.

Cons

Some of the challenges is to follow the library rules and regulations when approaching the students. The training provided is excellent.Excellent payments.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and let the Quiet petrol team be one of the unique jobs that Leicester Uni do have.

5. Great to work for

Current Employee - Administrator in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrator in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great cpd, training and opportunities. Good flexibility of working hours. Great reduced gym membership for two gyms. And notifications of many many free lectures and events across campus.

Cons

Sometimes getting things done/approved can be problematic. Large open plan office can also be a problem re lighting, temperature and noise but that is no diffent to any other shared open plan space.

Advice to Management

Give a decent pay rise more often - top managers seem to have one!

6. Very supportive and friendly atmosphere. Well structured and fluid workload with scope.

Current Employee - Research Administrator in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Administrator in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours - I am often able to fit a 7 hour day between the hours of 7am and 9pm which is good for when I have other commitments. Self structured working allowing me to use variation when a particular area of work gets tedious or boring. If I need something all I have to do is ask (stationary, advice, contact info, training etc...). My particular field of work allows me to advance my knowledge through low level research posters and attendance at relevant conferences and meetings. Although not specified in the job description it certainly helps expand my knowledge and understanding!

Cons

Certain areas of work are tedious and boring but often need doing to meet deadlines and data submissions. Flexibility is based upon what workload is needed/not needed at the time. Career opportunities aren't often available and are often unclear. Pay is pretty low compared to others my age (26) and the pay scale increments only come around once a year AND you hit a 'ceiling' after 5 years.

7. Very conservative governed by the administration university.

Current Employee - Lecturer in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively reasonable pension scheme. Attempt to meet Athena Swan criteria.

Cons

Very little (compared to other university) paid leave - 25 days p/a. Unrealistically tough promotion policy (requirements are higher than those in Oxbridge); promotion is not based on skills but on political policies within the university. Faculty carry too many administrative responsibilities; very little time for research; teaching load is too high and actual interaction with students is very much time consuming without any significant benefit (for the students and for the results); unrealistic attention to individual students complaints (instead of looking at statistics).

Advice to Management

Cut on administration (which seems to be unrealistically in numbers) and generates useless tasks just to justify its existence; more departmental independence in finances; hire more teaching-prevalent staff at appropriate high level to relieve the research staff for doing research and achieve high REF. Increase paid leave at least to 30 days p/a (preferably 35). Cut on cosmetic campus investments (as recently installed useless statue in front of the library) and invest in more faculty positions.

8. Inspiring

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leicester provides a flexible balanced workload, anice friendly atmostphere and great research opportunities. There are increasing interdisciplinary projects both within the university and with other universities in the UK and abroad. Leicester has a good environmental standard showing others the way forward. I have been working here for 3 years now while completing my PhD but before that I was a student for 4 years. It is a great university and they cannot get rid of me!

Cons

There needs to be more opportunities for career progression of junoir staff members (such as myself) and a more rigourous mentoring system. It is easy, especially for graduate teaching assistants, to get lost and forgotten about.

Advice to Management

Career advice for junior staff who may consider becoming a lecturer should be provided as well as a better avenue to progress in your career without quitting and re applying.

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Dl Finance Administrator in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Dl Finance Administrator in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team, friendly colleagues, supportive organisation.

Cons

Building is a bit old and run down

Advice to Management

Listen to new ideas and innovation

10. Research assistant

Current Employee - Research Associate in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team spirit
    Flexible working
    Good progression of career and development offered
    Good collaborative spirit for researchers in field
    Very competitive with other universities
    Constantly making top 20 of Times higer education lists

Cons

In academia hours can be long
    Work life balance has to maintained by yourself
    You need to be self motivated to get the work done
    University sites are spread across city from hospital to main campus. - not always a problem or con but something to consider
    Parking permits are like gold dust at hospital sites, so if you live close public transport or hospital hopper may be the mode of transport

11. A fantastic job for students

Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can choose your own hours and how much you work in some positions so the work-life balance is perfect. Also, the range of people you get to work with is great and you get to try different tasks all the time

Cons

There are a lot of things that you have to know about the University of Leicester in order to be good at the position, and this can take time to achieve.

Advice to Management

Encourage more inter-work relationships by providing more training days etc together with other workers

University of Leicester Photos