University of Leicester

Updated August 22, 2014
3.7

CEO

Great to work for

Current Employee - Administrator  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrator in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great cpd, training and opportunities. Good flexibility of working hours. Great reduced gym membership for two gyms. And notifications of many many free lectures and events across campus.

Cons

Sometimes getting things done/approved can be problematic. Large open plan office can also be a problem re lighting, temperature and noise but that is no diffent to any other shared open plan space.

Give a decent pay rise more often - top managers seem to have one!

Very conservative governed by the administration university.

Current Employee - Lecturer  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relatively reasonable pension scheme. Attempt to meet Athena Swan criteria.

Cons

Very little (compared to other university) paid leave - 25 days p/a. Unrealistically tough promotion policy (requirements are higher than those in Oxbridge); promotion is not based on skills but on political policies within the university. Faculty carry too many administrative responsibilities; very little time for research; teaching load is too high and actual interaction with students is very much time consuming without any significant benefit (for the students and for the results); unrealistic attention to individual students complaints (instead of looking at statistics).

Cut on administration (which seems to be unrealistically in numbers) and generates useless tasks just to justify its existence; more departmental independence in finances; hire more teaching-prevalent staff at appropriate high level to relieve the research staff for doing research and achieve high REF. Increase paid leave at least to 30 days p/a (preferably 35). Cut on cosmetic campus investments (as recently installed useless statue in front of the library) and invest in more faculty positions.

Very supportive and friendly atmosphere. Well structured and fluid workload with scope.

Current Employee - Research Administrator  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Administrator in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible working hours - I am often able to fit a 7 hour day between the hours of 7am and 9pm which is good for when I have other commitments. Self structured working allowing me to use variation when a particular area of work gets tedious or boring. If I need something all I have to do is ask (stationary, advice, contact info, training etc...). My particular field of work allows me to advance my knowledge through low level research posters and attendance at relevant conferences and meetings. Although not specified in the job description it certainly helps expand my knowledge and understanding!

Cons

Certain areas of work are tedious and boring but often need doing to meet deadlines and data submissions. Flexibility is based upon what workload is needed/not needed at the time. Career opportunities aren't often available and are often unclear. Pay is pretty low compared to others my age (26) and the pay scale increments only come around once a year AND you hit a 'ceiling' after 5 years.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inspiring

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leicester provides a flexible balanced workload, anice friendly atmostphere and great research opportunities. There are increasing interdisciplinary projects both within the university and with other universities in the UK and abroad. Leicester has a good environmental standard showing others the way forward. I have been working here for 3 years now while completing my PhD but before that I was a student for 4 years. It is a great university and they cannot get rid of me!

Cons

There needs to be more opportunities for career progression of junoir staff members (such as myself) and a more rigourous mentoring system. It is easy, especially for graduate teaching assistants, to get lost and forgotten about.

Career advice for junior staff who may consider becoming a lecturer should be provided as well as a better avenue to progress in your career without quitting and re applying.

Highly political - culture of blame and fear

I worked at University of Leicester full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most people are friendly enough. The University has some really lovely grounds and Victoria Park is right next to the main campus.

Cons

Zero support - awful management. A culture of blame and fear and the worst politics I've ever known. Some baseless investment decision have nearly financially ruined the place.

Talk to one another and treat the staff with more respect. It would be ideal if you could also pay the Living Wage to the lower earners. Why has the current financial situation come as such a shock?

Great place to work

Current Employee - Dl Finance Administrator  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Dl Finance Administrator in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great team, friendly colleagues, supportive organisation.

Cons

Building is a bit old and run down

Listen to new ideas and innovation

A Corrupt Horrible place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leicester full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Facilities and front line collages alot of training and a nice student environment

Cons

Over baring ,uneducated, unresponsive and corrupt management. No equality within staff, more who you know than what you know and lots and lots of hearsay and un answered questions. No career progression or prospects.

sack all of your Estates and security management and start again. Try not to be completely corrupt and treat staff as equals.

Research assistant

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team spirit
    Flexible working
    Good progression of career and development offered
    Good collaborative spirit for researchers in field
    Very competitive with other universities
    Constantly making top 20 of Times higer education lists

Cons

In academia hours can be long
    Work life balance has to maintained by yourself
    You need to be self motivated to get the work done
    University sites are spread across city from hospital to main campus. - not always a problem or con but something to consider
    Parking permits are like gold dust at hospital sites, so if you live close public transport or hospital hopper may be the mode of transport

A well organised experience, easy to navigate, and a very overall nice place.

Current Employee - Student Ambassador  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to navigate, friendly staff, nice modern buildings (most).

Cons

Can't think of anything bad

Recognise individuals after a shift perhaps… but I've never had a bad experience.

A fantastic job for students

Current Employee - Student Ambassador  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leicester part-time for more than a year

Pros

You can choose your own hours and how much you work in some positions so the work-life balance is perfect. Also, the range of people you get to work with is great and you get to try different tasks all the time

Cons

There are a lot of things that you have to know about the University of Leicester in order to be good at the position, and this can take time to achieve.

Encourage more inter-work relationships by providing more training days etc together with other workers

University of Leicester Photos

Uni of Leicester

+ Add Photo

Worked for University of Leicester? Contribute to the Community!