University of Lethbridge

3.5

University of Lethbridge President & Vice-Chancellor Dr. Michael Mahon
Dr. Michael Mahon
1 Rating

The University of Lethbridge was an awesome organization to work for!

I worked at University of Lethbridge as an intern

Pros

They were very flexible with my schedule, provided me with a lot of freedom with tasks and encouraged others/everyone to contribute and share ideas. The managers are absolutely awesome and were so easy to talk to if you had any questions. They also provided great guidance and advice. Felt like a close family/community environment in the Bookstore department. The pay was also good!

Cons

No cons. I felt like they provided a fantastic learning environment for co-op students.

Management was absolutely wonderful! Keep up the amazing work!!

It was a good student job.

Former Employee - Call Centre Agent  in  Lethbridge, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Call Centre Agent in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)

I worked at University of Lethbridge part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours while working at the call centre for the advancement program, helping the university to raise funds through calling the alumni. We enjoyed very flexible schedule and in my opinion it was perfect for me as a student. It was a fun and friendly working environment and it was easy to meet new people that way.

Cons

Minimum job pay with very little incentive. Even though we kicked it off as a test project everything could've been more organized. Adequate training should've been provided as well but the supervisor has just as little experience as us so couldn't really help in anyway.

Good small University

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Lethbridge, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)

I have been working at University of Lethbridge full-time for more than a year

Pros

My supervisor is a very well known professor.

Cons

the campus is very bad

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Didn't really have a review process, fell into the job

I have been working at University of Lethbridge as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Really good working environment. I enjoy the tasks I'm given, and the professors are good to work with. Extremely accommodating, easy to get time off if needed as long as I haven't made any important prior commitments.

Cons

Hard to get things done at times due to red tape. Sometimes students can have unrealistic expectations and frustration levels rise quickly, but we've all been there and people increasingly expect things to just work all of the time.

Keep on doing what you're doing. Solid management, just don't be afraid of a little change or stepping on some toes. It doesn't matter what the decision is, nothing will ever make everyone happy.

Great experience with the University of Lethbridge.

Current Employee - MSC Student  in  Lethbridge, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - MSC Student in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)

I have been working at University of Lethbridge for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance

Cons

Small community and not many opportunities

Change politics

University of Lethbridge - the way the scientific world should work

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Lethbridge, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)

I have been working at University of Lethbridge full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with friendly, smart, outstanding people with fresh, creative minds who left well known Universities to be able to make a new better quality of science and life. It is close to Rocky Mountains, always sunny, how and dry in summer. Sport activities all year around.

Cons

Not to many attractions, beside nature activities. But I do not find it as a Cons. There are no Cons really.

Compensation was satisfactory, but difficult place to work if you’re not academic

Former Employee - Asset Manager  in  Lethbridge, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Asset Manager in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)

I worked at University of Lethbridge

Pros

Good compensation package, union ensures good benefits and job security. Good relationships. Variety of opportunities. Good amenities and decent technology.

Cons

Stifles creativity. Academics think they know everything, so they try to micromanage your work, even if you have over a dozen years experience and a degree in your field. Too many silos, and few challenging opportunities once siloed. Very little meaningful job recognition. Lots of managers and few leaders.

Start respecting support staff more. Firing them first during a budget crises makes no fiscal sense since three support staff cost as much a full professor, losing productivity of three employees for the price of one. When someone complains they have nothing to do, don’t try to solve the issue by giving them superficial tasks. They want meaningful, challenging work to do that stretches their skills and uses their talents. Please also remember that money isn’t the whole way to show appreciation for work well done.

good place to live, challenging place to work

I have been working at University of Lethbridge

Pros

good pay, good place to live, good students to work with

Cons

big organization, very slow and reluctant to change and adapt to changing times. Administration way too big for such a small institution and therefore slow moving. Difficult to find leaders who take responsibility for actions.

Slim down decision making process to allow faster improvements to the organization. Delegate decisions and give employees more responsibility. Assume your employees have the best interest of the institution at heart. Judge them by results. Just don't hire employees you don't trust with responsibilities.

Worked for University of Lethbridge? Contribute to the Community!