University of Liverpool Reviews in Liverpool, England

Updated July 17, 2014

4.2

David McDonnell

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very postive, multiple opportunities to upskill, supportive management, great benefits

Current Employee - Post Doc  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Post Doc in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Liverpool as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Training opportunities, work-life balance, collaborative workforce.

Cons

Career Progression, Promotion opportunities etc.

its fine, but there is space for improvement

Current Employee - Lecturer  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Liverpool full-time for more than a year

Pros

its a good place to work

Cons

enormus presure for REF and grands

give more oportunities to younger staff

All through my PhD I dreamt of getting a job at the University of Liverpool. When I did, I was not disappointed!

Current Employee - Senior Lecturer  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Liverpool full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The University has great facilities and staff. It is large enough to have regional influence and international standing, but small enought that you actually know your colleagues and never feel that you are just a cog in some corporate machine.

Cons

There can sometimes be a disconnect between the administration and the academics. Things can sometimes be rolled out (like Programme Plnner) without sufficient training arrangments being in place or other procedures (like finances) that do not reflect what we actually do in the line of our teaching and research.

Better grassroots level communication within the newly formed Schools would be helpful. I really like our admin team and they do a great job, but I have to admit I cannot put names to faces when I see them in the corridor or get an email from one of them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Residential Advisor

Current Employee - Residential Advisor  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Residential Advisor in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Liverpool as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The clear structure of management means it is easier to refer problems or to ask questions as per the situation.

Cons

Weekend shifts are often long as one is on duty for 24 hours. However, they are often quite due during the day; only Saturday nights are truly trying.

An outstanding organisation with warm, open-minded people

Former Employee - Ambassador  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Ambassador in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at University of Liverpool part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are extremely friendly and will attend to your needs wholeheartedly. It's a diverse place which makes you feel at home with your co-workers and friends

Cons

Could have better promotion opportunities. It is fairly competetive with being a big, busy and diverse city

Could be better organised in terms of events and management

Pleasant

Former Employee - Laboratory Apprentice  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Laboratory Apprentice in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at University of Liverpool full-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff are helpful and informative
    A great atmosphere to work in with so much going on.
    The chance to meet people from all over the world in all different specialist areas.

Cons

The layout was hard to adjust to.
    The wage was barely above the minimum wage in comparison to other places.

A lot of the time I was left to find things out for myself in regards to requirements of the job, It would have been easier for me if when I was asked to do something I was advised on how to do it. As in my first week I was asked to do many things in the university which I had no idea where the rooms where i was supposed to be going to and where equipment was stored, I was simply asked to get it without any more information on the matter i had to ask around a lot.

Wonderful working environment let down by shoddy admin

Former Employee - Student Advocate  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Student Advocate in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at University of Liverpool part-time for more than a year

Pros

The ability and commitment of the people on the job is nothing short of exemplar. They have a passion and a friendliness that welcomes even the most inexperienced of new employees. The demands are flexible and the support provided from within the department is excellent.

Cons

The real issue with working for this company was thoroughly underwhelming administrative support. there were frequent issues with payroll, including missing wages and lacklustre responses to complaints. This continued after leaving the company, when my release forms and tax information took months to be processed.

Pay-roll needs a complete reassessment - too many errors made with too many people's pay.

Challenging

Current Employee - University Teacher  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - University Teacher in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Liverpool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a friendly working atmosphere

Cons

Too many tiers of management

Even up the wages disparity

Great career development opportunity's

Current Employee - Finance and Research Administrator  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance and Research Administrator in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Liverpool full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many pro's for working in the University of Liverpool, the main being the learning and development opportunity's for staff. Training and taking on new things is highly encouraged in all areas and available to everyone no matter the grade. This is rare in a lot of businesses.

The support and resources for staff is also great for staff and students, including counselling, free services, travel schemes, health schemes and many discounts and offers.

The pension scheme at the university is also very good in comparison to other organisations. This is great motivation for staff.

Cons

A con for working here would be the size, because it is large you can sometimes just feel like a number etc, but the pro's overpower the small issues which would be the same in any large organisation.

Advice to management would be to take on staff feedback more often, I believe this is key to keeping staff motivation and job interest alive.

Unique opportunities for cutting edge research

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Liverpool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People working in the UoL
    Working enviroment
    International collaborations and
    City of Liverpool

Cons

Demanding enviroment
    Working with the best in the field
    More internal funding opportunities (even small ones)

What about additional internal funding opportunities for the young researchers and research stuff in order to promote and develop future leading researchers of UoL?

Worked for University of Liverpool? Contribute to the Community!