University of Louisville

Updated December 19, 2014
3.6

University of Louisville President James R. Ramsey
James R. Ramsey

Pros
  • They are a very diverse company and have great benefits (in 9 reviews)

• If you want a career in Higher Education, then UofL is a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Wasn't really sure how to approach anyone about staying with the university after I graduated and finding a full time job (in 3 reviews)

• Workload variations in departments makes it hard to choke down when you look at salaries and workload (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

77 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Flexible hours for students

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Louisville, KY

I worked at University of Louisville part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible working with my schedule, great atmosphere, experience working in an office

Cons

The pay was really bad

Graduate assistantship was okay

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Louisville, KY

I worked at University of Louisville part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Varied work, could stick with people you like, could work with interesting departments or programs. I was able to work with my strengths and do work that I'm proud to have on my resume. There's formal training for teaching assistants, a very good program, though you might already be teaching once you're able to do it, which is difficult.

Cons

Could get stuck in a terrible spot, assignments could be too political and not very helpful to the grad. You need to be savvy and ask around about different opportunities, even outside of your department. I had good jobs but saw a few others run like somebody's personal assistant.

Make sure work is meaningful even if it doesn't directly benefit the grad

A great place to work with growth potential

Current Employee - Support in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Support in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting career with growth potential and reasonable benefits. The stable environment and standard work hours allow a great work-balance.

Cons

The salary provided is slightly less than offered in the private sector and parking can be an issue during busy hours

Research Associate

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cost of living is relative low

Cons

Low research activity and lack of network opportunity

A great place to work, especially for those who have a strong passion for the school and its success.

Current Employee - Associate Director in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong athletic programs, great benefits, and wonderful like-minded colleagues with a heart for the community, its students, and tradition.

Cons

Not much room for professional growth, and little consideration for work/life balance. Creative opportunities within specific roles are sometimes limited due to budgetary concerns.

UofL

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at University of Louisville full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are flexible and understanding of schedule conflicts - particular with employees who have children. The work-life balance is great. The people in my office are great to work with, very personable, and they make work fun. The University is a huge part of the community, and are making efforts to expand interactions with outside companies.

Cons

There is definite distinction between different departments, many of which have morale issues. There is also a lack of communication from the top down, so restructuring becomes stressful for all employees because they don't know what to expect.

This is an amazing school

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professors are willing to be flexible and work with you. They will try everything to help student employees.

Cons

The university is taking steps towards trying to be a better research institution. However, the infrastructure for research is only in certain areas of the campus. The older buildings are not fully equipped, even with basic elements such as gas or compressed air lines.

Improve research infrastructure

Great atmosphere with many opportunities to branch out.

Current Employee - Research Assistant and PhD Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Research Assistant and PhD Candidate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

State of the art clean room, attentive advisers, knowledgeable staff. The ME department even has a HOSS CNC machine and 3D printer now. UofLs rocket team is top notch too.

Cons

The mechanical department is just now starting to poor more money into the facilities (2014) which is nice. Just wish they would have done it when I was an undergrad.

It's alright!

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's easy! the people here are very nice and they try to help in any way possible.

Cons

They are losing many of their good faculties, due to retirement or accepting administrative positions.

Despite its importance, money or scholarship is not the only reason students choose an institute for their higher education. The faculties, the environment, and the future opportunities are all important as well, if not more. By losing the educational equipments in the departments (like computer labs) or experienced faculties, the university will be degraded in the university ranking system. If the institutes are not high in ranking, the students (current or future) will lose interest in applying or continuing their studies in that university. Because, securing a (better) job is the reason people continue their education and if they see their future is at risk, they might ignore considering that place.

It is a good college. Administration could be made a lot better

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary, Benefits and freedom of research

Cons

Support employees could be trained a lot better.

Please train your support employees to be more efficient.

University of Louisville Photos