University of Louisville

Updated August 22, 2014

3.4

University of Louisville President James R. Ramsey
James R. Ramsey

Pros
  • They are a very diverse company and have great benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work as a Research assistant (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Wasn't really sure how to approach anyone about staying with the university after I graduated and finding a full time job (in 3 reviews)

• Not a great place to be in the arts (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

70 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Top notch research (medical school) in a non-pretentious environment in the beautiful and affordable Louisville, KY.

Former Employee - Graduate Student  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Graduate Student in Louisville, KY

I worked at University of Louisville full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Health Sciences research complex at the University of Louisville's downtown medical campus offered many opportunities to interact with researchers, medical personnel, students, and the public. Additionally, as a graduate student, I felt that I had access to any type of research equipment that I could ever need, as well as very patient and knowledgeable mentors. I also loved the fact that the department included staff, faculty, and students from all over the world.

Cons

Not a lot of teaching opportunities because the main undergraduate campus is on the other side of the city. The immediate area around the medical campus definitely has some sketchy characters, and caution must be taken if you are going to work late and walk to your vehicle several blocks away. The shuttle service ran pretty often to the parking lots, so you could definitely feel safe during normal hours.

Provide more stability for the faculty and research staff, so that you can keep the best scientists around for longer. Offer more flexibility for the departments in hiring, so that potential employees do not get turned off by the med school bureaucracy.

Great company - great benefits

Former Employee - Director of Development  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Director of Development in Louisville, KY

I worked at University of Louisville full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits. Overall good culture. Lots of stuff to do with families. Upper level management good at listening to issues.

Cons

Budget cycles can be stressful. Middle management not always good at listening to issues. Goals can be unobtainable.

good university

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good environment, resources,and conditions.Health insurance is good for family and single also.

Cons

Sometime have difficulty to balance the work and family.Have pressure to finish experiments and projects.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent, but of course demanding

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time for less than a year

Pros

Helpful and friendly professors and staff. A great education incorporated with the medical school. Outstanding, well published, research professors, from all types of backgrounds. A modern and up to date scientific education program. All the perks of being a University of Louisville student, i.e. free bus pass with student ID, etc. Fellowship can be awarded to pay for tuition and living expenses. Finally, Louisville is a vibrant and progressive city with a multitude of restaurants, activities, and an ever-growing outdoor culture..

Cons

parking on the health sciences campus downtown is either expensive or a pain. Though updating the curriculum is necessary, the interim years can be difficult for students. A strong push for academic careers can be stifling, and the information and options of alternative careers is few and far between. (However, still accessible if one knows where to look or who to ask)

Stick with what you are doing now, its working. But as usual be prepared for changes in the ever changing and competitive game of academic research.

Its has been OK experience of working here

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

nice city, moderate weather, work-life balance, leadership

Cons

limited opportunity, limited benefits, lack of personal growth, politics

Needs transparency, provide more opportunity for growth of junior investigator

Everyone loves Louisville - what's not to love!

Former Employee - Event Consultant  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Event Consultant in Louisville, KY

I worked at University of Louisville as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Loved working for UL. Everyone was nice, helpful, kind and real. It's wonderful being involved with a great learning community nestled inside the wonderful of community of Louisville.

Cons

I am a UK fan. Soooo. Prefer UK in sports but support Louisville as well.

great place to work

Former Employee - Director Administration  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Director Administration in Louisville, KY

I worked at University of Louisville full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

people, campus, learning environment, leave

Cons

parking can be a challenge

none

University of Louisville

Former Employee - Research Technician  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Louisville, KY

I worked at University of Louisville full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They are a very diverse company and have great benefits. They truly understand the need to balance work and home life.

Cons

Working in research can be very slow with lots of down time. At times there was a language barrier with co-workers.

Get employees more involved with different activities relating to the job. Provide more opportunities for advancement.

Great people to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville part-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is very nice and friendly. It is a more relaxed atmosphere (I work in a smaller department) and I enjoy going into work every day.

Cons

None that I can currently think of.

Unprofessional in every conceivable way.

Current Employee - IT Department Wage Slave  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - IT Department Wage Slave in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

None. Unless you enjoy being under house arrest at your employer.

Cons

A corrupt and horrible institution run by corrupt and horrible people. Not a positive workplace at all.

Though it is out of your depth, try to learn from what real institutions such as Harvard, Yale and Stanford do to attract, nuture and retain a professional work force within a positive workplace environment..

Worked for University of Louisville? Contribute to the Community!