University of Louisville

Updated September 18, 2014
3.4

University of Louisville President James R. Ramsey
James R. Ramsey

Pros
  • They are a very diverse company and have great benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work as a Research assistant (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Wasn't really sure how to approach anyone about staying with the university after I graduated and finding a full time job (in 3 reviews)

• Not a great place to be in the arts (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Benefits and Growth Potential

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you want a career in Higher Education, then UofL is a great place to work. Once you get your foot in the door, growth is natural and switching departments is fairly easy. You also get great benefits like a full week off for the Christmas-New Year holiday, and anytime the school has a snow day, you don't have to come to work!

Cons

If you want to make real changes to the way things are done, it's very very difficult. People are very much stuck in their ways, and there is a lot of bureaucracy.

I think that the VSIP was a great thing. Getting new people in, and a lot of the people who are not willing to change out, is allowing for more experimentation and progress.

Good place to work

I worked at University of Louisville

Pros

Friendly environment, people care about you

Cons

More parking space. A lot of crime email from the police going on campus every week

Top notch research (medical school) in a non-pretentious environment in the beautiful and affordable Louisville, KY.

Former Employee - Graduate Student  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Graduate Student in Louisville, KY

I worked at University of Louisville full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Health Sciences research complex at the University of Louisville's downtown medical campus offered many opportunities to interact with researchers, medical personnel, students, and the public. Additionally, as a graduate student, I felt that I had access to any type of research equipment that I could ever need, as well as very patient and knowledgeable mentors. I also loved the fact that the department included staff, faculty, and students from all over the world.

Cons

Not a lot of teaching opportunities because the main undergraduate campus is on the other side of the city. The immediate area around the medical campus definitely has some sketchy characters, and caution must be taken if you are going to work late and walk to your vehicle several blocks away. The shuttle service ran pretty often to the parking lots, so you could definitely feel safe during normal hours.

Provide more stability for the faculty and research staff, so that you can keep the best scientists around for longer. Offer more flexibility for the departments in hiring, so that potential employees do not get turned off by the med school bureaucracy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PhD Canidate

I worked at University of Louisville

Pros

Great location and city with new facilities

Cons

You'll spend most of your time chasing research money, than actually doing research.

A bit of a mess

Former Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Louisville, KY

I worked at University of Louisville full-time for more than a year

Pros

it is a big university with lots of resources. The campus is ok and well located.

Cons

Some departments are way set on the "it has always been this way" mentality, which makes it hard to get new ideas or projects going.

UofL has offered many highs as a professional and excessive lows in work environment and job demands

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They offer good and stable health and dental plans, retirement pension and support you as an employee to take a class a semester.

Cons

Pay raises are minimal due to the state budget constraints, employee turnover rate is excessively high due to a difficult work environment, lack of clarity in leadership and little if any direction for succeeding to reach goals and objectives set.

Management in our unit should understand the power of meaningful and directive positive praise. Develop with all staff the authentic reason to trust and be trusted.

Great company - great benefits

Former Employee - Director of Development  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Director of Development in Louisville, KY

I worked at University of Louisville full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits. Overall good culture. Lots of stuff to do with families. Upper level management good at listening to issues.

Cons

Budget cycles can be stressful. Middle management not always good at listening to issues. Goals can be unobtainable.

good university

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good environment, resources,and conditions.Health insurance is good for family and single also.

Cons

Sometime have difficulty to balance the work and family.Have pressure to finish experiments and projects.

Fantastic!

I worked at University of Louisville part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work. I loved being able to educate our worlds future leaders, and meet the current faculty.
    Plenty of places to grab a quick snack or enjoy a long lunch.

Cons

Parking is difficult. Traffic is always heavy. Crime is an issue walking to and from car. Eating at the same restaurants every day will get old quick.

If I was able to provide what they could do better, I would be working in management there.

Excellent, but of course demanding

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Louisville, KY

I have been working at University of Louisville full-time for less than a year

Pros

Helpful and friendly professors and staff. A great education incorporated with the medical school. Outstanding, well published, research professors, from all types of backgrounds. A modern and up to date scientific education program. All the perks of being a University of Louisville student, i.e. free bus pass with student ID, etc. Fellowship can be awarded to pay for tuition and living expenses. Finally, Louisville is a vibrant and progressive city with a multitude of restaurants, activities, and an ever-growing outdoor culture..

Cons

parking on the health sciences campus downtown is either expensive or a pain. Though updating the curriculum is necessary, the interim years can be difficult for students. A strong push for academic careers can be stifling, and the information and options of alternative careers is few and far between. (However, still accessible if one knows where to look or who to ask)

Stick with what you are doing now, its working. But as usual be prepared for changes in the ever changing and competitive game of academic research.

Worked for University of Louisville? Contribute to the Community!