University of Maine System

www.maine.edu

University of Maine System Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
University of Maine System – Orono – “Rec Center”

James H. Page

ASAP Media Services

Student Employee (Former Employee) Orono, ME

ProsDynamic workplace that caterers to collaborative exploration. Half of the work done is research and development toward producing a product for a paying customer, and the other half is researching an area of interest.

ConsThe lack of structure is different than other jobs. Weekly presentations on what you are currently working on. Low starting pay for a student employee.

Lack of work ethic and responsibility in facilities management

Laborer (Current Employee) Orono, ME

ProsThe benefits are decent, work can be very interesting.

ConsPoor workmanship, administrative red tape, unorganized and wastefulness

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood environment; can work on a team project and/or individual one. Work with new gadgets.

ConsThere are no cons for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing very well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Resident Assistant: a great learning and resume builing experience

Resident Assistant (Former Employee) Orono, ME

ProsMy community coordinator was really approachable and genuinely cared for me. All of the other RA's were excellent to collaborate with. This experience was a great opportunity to bulk up my CV, and I think it was one of the deciding factors that helped me get into pharmacy school.

ConsCalling the police for marijuana smells at 1am, but it happens on all campuses. Oh, and urine in the stairwells. Freshman dorms are unique.

Quality undergraduate education and research experience

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Orono, ME

ProsOpen, friendly environment with easy access to on-site and locally-available facilities. Faculty promote a collaborative environment.

ConsGeographically isolated from other major institutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more heavily in basic research support and services (especially subsidized reagent and analysis cost)

Student Admin Aide

ProsVery convenient and flexible for current students. Always willing to work around student's class schedule and more than okay with few hour shifts. Great experience, as long as your not looking for a high pay job!

ConsLow pay. More just for the experience and knowledge that you gain while working here. Definitely learned a lot but my bank account doesn't have much to show for it.

My time teaching Upward Bound at UMaine was an important part of my professional development.

Part-time Instructor (Former Employee) Orono, ME

ProsExcellent people - positive work environment.

ConsNot a lot of training.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate some boilerplate training for incoming Upward Bound teachers.

Great organization with hands off governance style.

Resident Assistant (Former Employee) Farmington, ME

ProsLoved the people, beautiful setting, great opportunities for recent grads to stay on as employees. Employees are competent and seek to build true connections with the student body. Never felt like a number or a lesser, was welcomed as a member of the team from the start.

ConsStrong disconnect between the college and the local town. Easy to forget that the beautiful campus is surrounded by area that is economically impoverished.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't grow, allow people to continue to find opportunities to excel and then stay out of their way.

The system doesn't work as a real system

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Farmington, ME

ProsThe students I get to work with are incredible and are what motivate me to come to work everyday!

ConsThe system does not work as a "system" and actually seems to encourage competition between already struggling campuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink strategically about the niches each of your campuses can fill. They all have their strengths and challenges. Don't pit campuses against one another for competitive funding! It only hurts the whole system.

Ok for Graduate School

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Orono, ME

ProsSmall classes, a lot of individual attention from professors/advisors. There are decent research opportunities available. Grad stipends are typically enough to get by on, and depending on the program, you might get paid more, especially for PhDs. The location is great if you like the outdoors.

ConsThe health insurance is terrible for graduate students and is far too expensive. Grad students are expected to work very hard and work much more than the required 20 hours. There are fewer courses offered than at bigger universities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive grad students better health insurance!

Worked for University of Maine System? Contribute to the Community!