University of Manchester

University of Manchester Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

University of Manchester Vice-Chancellor & President Nancy Rothwell

Nancy Rothwell

It is a nice place to live

ProsIt is a top 30 university in the world and it provide top class labs. People are all very nice.

ConsThe process of the working in this school is a little bit of slow

Low quality of teaching!

Research Fellow (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsNice labs and libraries. The university has beautiful buildings and a has a great history, both of which are quite attaractive youngsters.

ConsI have had friends, who went on to take second master's degree from other universities after having one from here. I have had atleast 2 batches of master's students, who came from other universities, asking me of how the university was so highly ranked, even after having such poor quality of teaching and training. I have been to a first year class of engineering( a year back), where a senior lecturer made mistakes in solving a simple problem, while having the answer key in her hands. A bunch of emails sent by the senior lecturer about basic engineering, contained wrong and misleading information about research which I still retain, and which baffles me, despite having such high credentials. This has led to question even the autheticity of the research performed by some people at the university.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the generation of youtube and email, its quite easy for the reputation of the university to go down. Please make sure you conduct a through review of teaching staff, for maintaining basic quality standards in teaching.

Not a great place for an international PhD student

PhD Researcher (Former Employee)

ProsGood library and is located in a beautiful city. Easy to get a PhD admission if you are willing to pay for it.

ConsConsiders PhD students as source of income and are not well funded except in rare cases.

PhD's are supposed to be independent work with minimal supervision, however, many supervisors dictate what his/her student should do. Supervisors mis-directs the students and in the case of a mistake, blames it on the PhD student, the colleagues of senior academics ensure it made to look like it is the PhD students mistake. This takes a toll on his/her metal health and academic career. Occasionally, the senior academics, strangely, even makes gives out wrong information of basic sciences to students, even during viva, though the all the standard textbooks says the opposite.

There are PhD candidates who frequently change their supervisors, some of them are failed and again passed, so as show of power of a few academics.

It is also very difficult to get teaching hours as a teaching assistant, in most cases the annual amount you get is only equivalent to you 1 month of your expense in Manchester. The University is maintaining a very bad reputation among international students, as the curriculum and quality is not upto the mark of the their undergraduate education in their home countries.

Because of these factors,

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't value and listen to your own students and young staff members, you loose out on valuable feedback which can improve the current state of affairs. Senior academics can be wrong,but when they defend, blame and threaten a student when a complaint is made, it ruins the life your own students. Please place a camera in lecture theaters, and even provide a downloadable copy of the lecture video through the Blackboard system, similar to the process done by world's top universities in Singapore. This can help student revise and at he same time, show the management, the level of quality of the education. A significant improvement of academic standards and evaluation knowledge base of current academics including senior academics, by an independent body is mandatory for the future of the University. Covering up facts only work for a few years, with a student strength of over 50,000, a lower quality education delivery is fatal for the University. A good, congenial atmosphere, with freedom to do research work in the way they want with minimal supervision is required for attracting good researchers. Go back to the history of the University and it will be evident that such a free environment led to major discoveries by people such as Alan Turing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good overall employers

ProsGood pay and conditions, good leave and pension provision

ConsVery hard to get a permanent contract. Job insecurity.

lecturer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslow teaching hours with students

Conslow research budget allows 1-2 research trips

The best working experience of my life.

Examinations Administrator (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsGreat place to work - good staff benefits; you feel as though you are listened to and respected. Fantastic location close to the city centre. Congeniality amongst staff members.

ConsLack of opportunities for promotion could be a concern.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing. Try to break new ground, and expand the number of courses you are given. Don't sell off the north end of campus. Utilise the former UMIST campus.

Nothing to complain about

PhD Student (Current Employee)

ProsA lot of job satisfaction as you get to manage your own work

ConsA lot of stress as you have to manage your own work

Overall good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe co-workers are pretty awesome.

ConsThe bad weather condition really bothers me.

Advice to Senior Managementnil

Fantastic

Telephone Fundraiser (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsReliable to work for as a student or graduate.

ConsI have nothing to present as a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake my department appear again

High in ranking but really bad in reality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe largest university in the u.k., good learning facilities and beautiful buildings. Times/QS ranking at top 30 in the world, although guardian raking shows lower figures that tier 3 universities in the uk. Great city life and easy access to services and shops. A legacy and long tradition of innovation.

ConsBad quality research in engineering( with the exception of electrical engineering) including computer, mechanical, aerospace, civil and life sciences/ biotech. International students/ researchers from developing countries are treated badly with the exception of "promoted students" who are send to attend independent reviews to keep up university ranking. Students/ researchers are victimized if a complaint is made against senior lecturer/profs, either by reducing exam grades or by calling a researchers research work sub-standard by senior lecturers/ profs. The "zero tolerance for bullying" is not applicable for undergrads, grad students and post-docs. Partially racist attitude of faculty members and poor quality of teaching which is far below standards of tier 2 universities in developing countries. The career service, although voted to be one of the best as per independent reviews, is actually not that good.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do something about the cons. Please kindly remove low quality teaching/ research faculty from the computer, mech, aero, civil engineering department. And kindly say no to these racist attitudes and make the "zero tolerance for bullying" as advertised in brochures actually applicable to students and young researchers!

Worked for University of Manchester? Contribute to the Community!