University of Mary Hardin-Baylor

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
3.7

CEO

I love this University! Not just a job, but a family!

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer I in Belton, TX
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer I in Belton, TX

I have been working at University of Mary Hardin-Baylor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

School holidays off, benefits, people, environment

Cons

I really cannot think of any cons!

Underdog

Former Employee - Adjunct Music in Belton, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Music in Belton, TX

I worked at University of Mary Hardin-Baylor part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working with students. The campus was always well cared for. The staff at the student union were always super and helpful. Things were close by and it was nice to get out and walk when I had time.

Cons

The most frustrating thing about UMHB was they put my work under 3 hats, so while I worked 67 hours I was not a full time employee just 3 part time employees. It didn't even get me a parking sticker for the parking lot I had to put a piece of paper on the dash. I felt humiliated not being a real employee and spending so much of my life there.

I don't think it was all departments but the one I worked for sure had major lay offs of non professor type staff. I always wondered if you looked at whether a leader could keep employees. One or two might be the people but when you get up into the twenties - I think you should look at management not employees.

Best workplace so far

Pros

Not only is this a university with Christian standards, they also know how to care for their employees. They have excellent benefits that start on day one of employment, including tuition scholarships for you and your family, all on day one. There are lots of programs to enrich their employees as well as great work environments. The pay is also excellent.

Cons

Personally, I cannot find any downsides to working at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. The only downside may be the location if you do not live close to Belton, Texas.

I enjoyed my experience at UMHB primarily because of the quality of the people who work and go to school there.

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Belton, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Belton, TX

I worked at University of Mary Hardin-Baylor part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff are very supportive and the students are polite and respectful. The atmosphere is positive and encouraging. The online system for posting assignments and grades and communicating with students is user friendly. The campus is attractive and small enough to walk around easily. The class size is small enough to have lots of student interaction. The online library access is helpful.

Cons

The compensation is too low.

Conduct a focus group of the adjunct professors to understand and respond to their needs.

Ok but a lot of politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belton, TX

I worked at University of Mary Hardin-Baylor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

free healthcare for the employee, decent work hours and all holidays off as it is a school.

Cons

spousal healthcare is not free or reduced its full rate. Lots of politics between sections.

Difficult place to work unless you are firmly in the Baptist tradition.

I worked at University of Mary Hardin-Baylor

Pros

Excellent location, emphasis on campus, facility building and enrollment increases, decent benefits package except for health insurance. Many excellent facilities. Decent kids. Some students have significant academic ability.

Cons

Micromanaging environment, regular lack of honesty, poor health insurance. Some poor facilities, but they are scheduled for improvement. Some students have poor academic ability and the resources and programs are not in place to aid those students in retention, although retention is said to be a priority. Pretty "student centered"- students are thought to be always right by the administration.

University of Mary Hardin-Baylor Photos