University of Maryland

University of Maryland Reviews in College Park, MD

Updated Jul 16, 2014

University of Maryland President Dr. Wallace D. Loh

Dr. Wallace D. Loh

Pros
  • Great work-life balance and above average leave compared to professional services industry(in 17 reviews)

• Tuition remission, friendly work atmosphere, and amazing resources such as the health center(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • a) The stipend is too low to cover the expenses of the college park/silver spring neighborhood(in 9 reviews)

• While entry level pay is very nice do not expect the pay at advanced positions to equal the private sector(in 6 reviews)

230 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) College Park, MD

Prosextremely flexible, helpful people to work with. always something new going on.

Consnot great pay, decent, but you wont get rich here

Advice to Senior Managementnot have employees pay for parking. its a bit ridiculous you employ me but i still pay $100's to park.

I worked at the University of Maryland Golf Course

Student Employee (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsGood Pay and work with all students, closes early and very flexible schedule

ConsNot a ton of money to be made there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Overall Good

GRA (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsFlexible timing. Good benefits and insurance

ConsLower pay. no others that I can think of.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Academic support staff experience

IT Coordinator (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsThe atmosphere is relaxed and flexible, a good place for someone with family or health problems. There are a fair amount of opportunities for advancement and very nice benefits - in part due to a no fee union membership. One of the best benefits I'd recommend taking advantage of is tuition remission: 8 hours a semester and in the summer for the employee at any USM institution and full time remission for spouses and children without bachelors degrees at the University of Maryland itself.

ConsWhile entry level pay is very nice do not expect the pay at advanced positions to equal the private sector. The benefits and flexibility may make up for that for some, but you will eventually end up making as little as half the private sector equivalent to a management level job.

Another potential downside is that if you end up in a unit or department with poor management there is very little hope in change. People very rarely get fired or removed so long as they don't break any laws or codes of conduct, regardless of their productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management really needs to track middle management better and ensure that people without the skills don't stay in their position for years. While the purpose of the University is not and should not be to turn a profit, it would be nice to work towards some level of proficiency and efficiency among the support staff by measuring performance and offering more job training.

Not bad, not great

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsGreat benefits, a ton of PTO, good work life balance, job security.

ConsVast majority of the administrative support staff paid well below market rates, there's no upward mobility, a lot of red tape to be expected, not challenging work (except learning to cut through the bureaucratic bs), boring place to work in terms of day to day operations but if you like consistency then you'd love it, overall most people there a very nice and friendly to work with.

Food Service Aide

Food Service Aide (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsThe best reason to work there is help the students feel more like home. Taking care of their needs as best you can.

ConsThe cons of working there is no one likes to work as a team. They have a lot of people that don't speak English and don't have the same view about the students

Program coordinator

Program Coordinator (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsGreat experience
    Flexible schedule
    Friendly co-workers

ConsOverworked at times
    You have to pay to Parking

Graduate assistant- flexible hours, good benefits

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsFlexible schedule, tuition remission, in-state tuition

ConsLack of representation for GAs, can cut your contract at any time

Graduate Experience in Engineering

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsA great school with lots of opportunities around. Lots of grants to keep many of the graduate students on for long periods of time. Graduate research is held at a very high standard.

ConsDepartments do not care for the graduate student's well-being. Focus will always be on the faculty and staff before the student, and most of the time policies that are in place hurt the student more than it helps.

UMD GA

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsGood location. Enough funding. Talented colleague.

ConsGood health care plan. Nice boss.

Worked for University of Maryland? Contribute to the Community!