University of Maryland

University of Maryland Reviews in College Park, MD

Updated Jul 23, 2014

University of Maryland President Dr. Wallace D. Loh

Dr. Wallace D. Loh

Pros
  • Great work-life balance and above average leave compared to professional services industry (in 17 reviews)

• Tuition remission, friendly work atmosphere, and amazing resources such as the health center (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • a) The stipend is too low to cover the expenses of the college park/silver spring neighborhood (in 9 reviews)

• While entry level pay is very nice do not expect the pay at advanced positions to equal the private sector (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights
233 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Graduate Experience in Engineering

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsA great school with lots of opportunities around. Lots of grants to keep many of the graduate students on for long periods of time. Graduate research is held at a very high standard.

ConsDepartments do not care for the graduate student's well-being. Focus will always be on the faculty and staff before the student, and most of the time policies that are in place hurt the student more than it helps.

UMD GA

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsGood location. Enough funding. Talented colleague.

ConsGood health care plan. Nice boss.

Good academic environment

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsFreedom to do research at your own pace (depends on advisor really), good courses and beautiful campus. Shuttle service for student transport is excellent. Proximity to DC is a plus.

ConsResearch can be frustrating at times, switching from RA to TA and the changes in pay happen without notice and changes have to be made accordingly in your lifestyle. Sketchy neighborhood and dull surroundings in College Park don't help. Super expensive housing anywhere surrounding the campus for something decent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Research Institution

Research Associate (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsLeading researchers, great facilities, ample exposure to research community at large

ConsArea is really expensive to live in.

Program coordinator

Program Coordinator (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsGreat experience
    Flexible schedule
    Friendly co-workers

ConsOverworked at times
    You have to pay to Parking

WorkStudy

Student Employee (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsIt's pretty chill. I'm only a workstudy student, so it depends on where you work. I'm in an office, where if its not that busy, i can basically take time to study a little bit. I really like it and for the most part, they are really flexible with the schedules because they know being a student comes first.

ConsIt also depends on who you work for and with. Some places are more strict than others. Obviously being a student, it will take your time away. Nothing really too bad though.

Graduate research assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsFreedom to work, independence in hours

ConsLess pay, No fixed time duration

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more pay

Nice place for robotics research.

Assistant Research Scientist (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsYou will find very good (i.e., skillful) collaborators for your research in engineering. The university has very good facilities to support your research, including the Neutral Buoyancy Research Facility (NBRF). The university also provides very good facilities to support your teaching. The staff people are usually very helpful. The campus is large and beautiful.

ConsThe structure of the building does not allow to have windows in a lot of labs. The high crime rate of the area around campus.

Teaching Assistant

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsVery nice professor! Nice students and good atmosphere

ConsI want to say some lab equipment is old, but OK

Advice to Senior ManagementI really enjoy be TA in physics department

Hired as a Faculty Research Assistant at UMD after completing Master of Science degree from UMD.

Faculty Research Assistant (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsFlexi timing and a great research experience with good office culture. Work/Life balance is respected.

ConsPersonal growth is limited. The job sometimes can turn out to be non research related ones.

Worked for University of Maryland? Contribute to the Community!