University of Maryland

Updated November 27, 2014
4.1

University of Maryland President Dr. Wallace D. Loh
Dr. Wallace D. Loh

Pros
  • Great work-life balance and above average leave compared to professional services industry (in 19 reviews)

• Tuition remission, friendly work atmosphere, and amazing resources such as the health center (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • a) The stipend is too low to cover the expenses of the college park/silver spring neighborhood (in 10 reviews)

• While entry level pay is very nice do not expect the pay at advanced positions to equal the private sector (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

281 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Relax working environment

Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working at UMD consider a state employee with a lot of benefits such as a 3 weeks pay vacation and regular 2% living cost increase. Depend where you work, flexible work hour and telecommute is available. Also, allow us to attend out-of-state conferences as a part of career development.

Cons

The salary is not comparable with private companies and there is no bonus. Working environment is not as good as private companies especially for IT employees.

Hoping to change the working environment more friendly and better facility. Also need to promote family like relationship between employees.

Good benefits not a lot of innovation

Former Employee - Academic Coordinator in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Academic Coordinator in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits including automatic contributions to your retirement account, flexible schedule if you are in the right department

Cons

Have to pay for parking. Little ability to advance. New ideas are met with "we tried that 10 years ago and it didn't work"

Good So Far

Current Employee - Food Server in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Food Server in College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Free Shuttle Bus if you don't have a car ( Staff or Student ID required ). Food ( All You Can Eat ) is only $2.00 if you work at one of the Diners. Lots of ( unpaid ) vacations: 1 week during the Christmas Holidays, 2 weeks during the Spring Break and of course, 3 whole months during the summer.

Cons

If you work at one of the food Diners, you are required to show up even when it's snowing, students have to eat so they need diner staff to prepare, cook and serve food.

I had mxed feelings with being a research assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice acdemic environment, lots of facilities for research, lots of good classes for you to choose, school is very international, close to D.C. area,

Cons

Crime rate is increasing, increased tuition and mandatory fee each year, parking lots are scarce, salary is low, living expense is very high, out of school people aren't friendly in the area

Great place for undergraduate student experience

Current Employee - Student Programmer in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Student Programmer in College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

-very accommodating of school/exam schedules
    -committed to helping students learn skills and get experience that will help them when they graduate
    -overall kind and welcoming staff

Cons

-no raises throughout the company due to budget cuts, and low salaries to begin with
    -sometimes there just isn't a lot of work to do, so you may end up doing something menial for a while or finding busywork

Pay your employees better as soon as possible and give them more challenging tasks

Communications Intern

Current Employee - Communications Intern in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Communications Intern in College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic opportunity. You're doing meaningful work and get great experience. They try to cater the internship to your interests, and even dedicate time to discussing your learning experience & career goals. Also, free coffee and tea always (and often, free lunch as well).

Cons

The work can get old fast-- but they're very willing to add new tasks, just ask! Also, START internship/career info caters more to intelligence-type jobs, so aspiring communications/public relations professionals often fall under the radar.

Department of Transportation Services (DOTS) is the Best Department for Student Designers

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in College Park, MD

Pros

Wide variety of projects, from web design to bus decal. Great pay for on-campus student jobs. Great environment. Lots of opportunities. Fun.

Cons

Hardware is the only shortcoming I can tell for now. According to IT, the DOTS' net work only supports PCs which are also out dated.

Laboratory Intern

Former Employee - Lab Intern in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Lab Intern in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

You get experience from working on projects, all of which you can put on your resume. You build good connections and have people you can ask for references. Graduate students were nice and approachable.

Cons

I didn't get paid. Most undergraduate student researchers don't.

University of Maryland is a cool environment to work at

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

very talented environment. I did my internship there in Summer 2013. My mentor and supervisor were very helpful to lead me get the essential for my project

Cons

I wish my contract is longer. It is hard for students or interns to work as a team. Everyone is doing his own stuff.

Great place to start

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Convenience, Easy going, Opportunities for motivated individuals, State health benefits

Cons

Big administration and can be easily forgotten if you don't make a name for your self. Very conventional administration.

Create more vibe with unorthodox approach. Too conventional and hard to breakthrough.

University of Maryland Photos