University of Maryland

Updated September 12, 2014
4.0

University of Maryland President Dr. Wallace D. Loh
Dr. Wallace D. Loh

Pros
  • Great work-life balance and above average leave compared to professional services industry (in 17 reviews)

• Tuition remission, friendly work atmosphere, and amazing resources such as the health center (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • a) The stipend is too low to cover the expenses of the college park/silver spring neighborhood (in 9 reviews)

• While entry level pay is very nice do not expect the pay at advanced positions to equal the private sector (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

305 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very educative and inspiring

Current Employee - Research Project Coordinator  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Research Project Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Personal growth, great work life balance

Cons

Leadership discourages promotions except you apply for new positions

Management should consider discussing promotions with supervisors especially in view of exceptional work and career development such as education and certifications.

Impact of current leadership's decisions remains to be seen...

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As I imagine with all University environments, it's inspiring to work at a research institution whose mission includes the "creation of new knowledge." Impressive students make me feel hopeful for the future. Fantastic benefits and flexibility.

Cons

Current upper ranks do not always seem to be in agreement/get along and the decision making seems to be much more top down and opportunistic than under the previous administration. Fairly typical leadership transition stuff -- whether the large sweeping decisions current management is making will be good for Maryland in the long run remains to be seen.

Hone and stick to your vision - and work harder at communicating/getting buy in from the bottom up. Make decisions that are student-centric.

Great support from administrators for personal growth and work-life balance

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cons

Pay is a bit low, but the benefits make up for it.

Hire more culturally and linguistically diverse people!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work, but hard not to get stuck

Former Employee - Unit Secretary  in  La Plata, MD
    Former Employee - Unit Secretary in La Plata, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits offered were great.
    Great work-life balance.
    Lots of respect from management, or at least mine was great.
    Easy interview process.
    Nice compensation for not being salary.
    Got a raise.

Cons

This may specifically apply to my job position:

I'm not sure how I would be able to promote through the hospital with the position I had. It would take certifications/medical degrees I'm sure, which I was not interested in.
    My schedule was 3-11pm. This is okay, but not favorable.

Overall good management but there should be a clear understanding of a manager's role.

I remember that my manager was more on the emotional end of managing and would sometimes be too concerned with the gossip, or would get into it a bit herself. I remember one time I addressed something specifically with my manager via email and instead of pulling us together to chat she went to the other employee and told her what I said without my permission or knowledge. The other employee got a completely wrong idea about what my concern was and threatened to make my job harder. We resolved it eventually, but I felt like the manager's role in this situation wasn't appropriate.

Great place to work

I have been working at University of Maryland part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

extremely flexible, helpful people to work with. always something new going on.

Cons

not great pay, decent, but you wont get rich here

not have employees pay for parking. its a bit ridiculous you employ me but i still pay $100's to park.

Great student part time job at UMD

Former Employee - Field Support- Division of IT (IDS)  in  College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Field Support- Division of IT (IDS) in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, staff, and fun to be around with. Should be quick to learn and it is a fairly easy job once you get the hang of it. If you have a Test/paper, boss is really understanding and can let you take off because he knows you are a student first. Can lead to full time position if you have an IT background.

Cons

Started with low pay, typically have to start as an underclassman for them to consider you because they want you to be there until you graduate.

N/A.

I worked at the University of Maryland Golf Course

Former Employee - Student Employee  in  College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Student Employee in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay and work with all students, closes early and very flexible schedule

Cons

Not a ton of money to be made there.

Keep it up

Overall Good

Former Employee - GRA  in  College Park, MD
    Former Employee - GRA in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible timing. Good benefits and insurance

Cons

Lower pay. no others that I can think of.

none

Academic support staff experience

Current Employee - IT Coordinator  in  College Park, MD
    Current Employee - IT Coordinator in College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The atmosphere is relaxed and flexible, a good place for someone with family or health problems. There are a fair amount of opportunities for advancement and very nice benefits - in part due to a no fee union membership. One of the best benefits I'd recommend taking advantage of is tuition remission: 8 hours a semester and in the summer for the employee at any USM institution and full time remission for spouses and children without bachelors degrees at the University of Maryland itself.

Cons

While entry level pay is very nice do not expect the pay at advanced positions to equal the private sector. The benefits and flexibility may make up for that for some, but you will eventually end up making as little as half the private sector equivalent to a management level job.

Another potential downside is that if you end up in a unit or department with poor management there is very little hope in change. People very rarely get fired or removed so long as they don't break any laws or codes of conduct, regardless of their productivity.

Upper management really needs to track middle management better and ensure that people without the skills don't stay in their position for years. While the purpose of the University is not and should not be to turn a profit, it would be nice to work towards some level of proficiency and efficiency among the support staff by measuring performance and offering more job training.

Not bad, not great

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, a ton of PTO, good work life balance, job security.

Cons

Vast majority of the administrative support staff paid well below market rates, there's no upward mobility, a lot of red tape to be expected, not challenging work (except learning to cut through the bureaucratic bs), boring place to work in terms of day to day operations but if you like consistency then you'd love it, overall most people there a very nice and friendly to work with.

Worked for University of Maryland? Contribute to the Community!