University of Maryland Medical System

Robert A. Chrencik

1. Great place to start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The organization is a very stable environment. It is a very diverse work group. Most people in my area have been there for at lease 5 years or more.

Cons

Things can get rather political. A standard onboarding process should be created for all.

2. Different

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical System (More than 5 years)

Pros

The ability to transfer between hospitals.

Cons

Interesting culture downtown. No one cares about the next person. It's like a big city.

Advice to Management

Retain good employees. If they need to move departments or change shifts and it can be accommodated, do it!

Help Desk Needs Help

Current Employee - Help Desk Specialist II in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Help Desk Specialist II in Columbia, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are I have great coworkers and the job fits my schedule. It is close to home and the benefits are great.

Cons

The cons are the help desk is the most unhelpful place to work. Rules change daily and you never know what the correct procedures are for any given situation. I have worked on many help desks and this is the most disorganized and micromanaged place I have ever worked. The Management either is playing good-cop/bad-cop or they are ganging up together on you. Most of the chastising is done through email and appears that is coming from bi-polar management who like you one day and the next you are not "A Good Help Desk Specialist". The systems fail but getting someone to fix them is next to impossible. There is no chance for advancement as they block trying to get reassigned to another department and the only way to better yourself is to leave and possible reapply when you are no longer an employee on the help desk. This is a call center and not a help desk.

Advice to Management

If I had a chance to speak to management and not risk losing my job or being picked on so bad I would have to quit I would suggest proper training and tiered responsibilities. If you are a Help Desk specialist I then you should do certain duties, If you are a Help Desk Specialist II then you should be able to handle more complex issues and then a Help Desk III should be empowered to be able to fix what help desk does have access to. Another suggestion would be to stand up for your employees. we are trying the best we can with the tools we are given, the rules change and we are not always aware of those changes. My suggestion for Upper Management (above the Director and also Human Resources) is take a look around when all the employees are saying the same thing and the turn over in this economy is what it is on the Help Desk, it is NOT the employees. It is a direct reflection of Management,

Help Desk Needs Help

Current Employee - Help Desk Specialist in Columbia, MD

Pros

The benefits are great and most of the people are truly a pleasure to work with. Working the help desk I get a chance to interact with a diverse group of people, most of which are very nice.

Cons

For the most part working on a help desk can be very rewarding. When you can't help people and you get emails about everything single little thing you do wrong, or things they think are wrong and later find out you were right it is hard to enjoy your job. The tremendous turn over should send red flags up. After a while it can not be blamed on all the people they "give a chance" it has to be management. The other thing is there is no where to really advance to because if you do transfer your last days with help desk are miserable. They try and block transfers and if you do get to leave they bad mouth you. I have been there awhile and I have seen more people leave than I have ever experienced before in workplace. The training is horrible and they have you on phones in less than a week. They allow you to solve a problem in 5 minutes or less or the caller has to wait for a ticket to be serviced by another team. "Have to reboot a computer? Well it might take longer than the allotted time, sorry I will need to have desktop team show you how to turn your cap lock on and off." They have lost much good talent with their attitude and treatment of employees. My biggest question is why can not human resources or someone overseeing IT Department figure this out?

Advice to Management

first to set reasonable expectations and make the rules clear. We can not do what we do not know to do or not to do. Do not chastise us in front of our peers, understand we want to help people and would like the empowerment to do so. Realize the talent you have and let us know we are appreciated and you do think we are doing a good job. Realize the transition and taking on multiple hospitals is a challenging thing in itself, but add migration to the mix we get slammed with multiple frustrated people and just knowing that our management would stand beside us and if need be take up for us would be a welcomed change.

6. The perfect place to define yourself and career.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Linthicum, MD

Pros

The University of Maryland Medical System has been a fantastic place to continue my career. As a professional my field for 8 years; this is the first place that has taken my career advancement seriously and have continuously given me additional responsibilities to gain the experience for my future role.

Cons

The System has expanded and partnered with several hospitals around Baltimore; all of which who are used to doing business different ways. In the area I work, you essentially have to continue to sell and enforce brand new policies that take many seasoned employees out of their comfort zones which can be a challenge at times. The process does indeed make sense however selling it is a every day responsibility. I wouldn't consider this to be a "Con" but more or less a chance to be a part of the ultimate solution.

Advice to Management

Continue to touch base with your employees and make sure their understanding of the ongoing transition is at a "comfortable" rating. Have conversations with your team on where the company is as a whole and the overall benefit that will come from this transition. I am fully aware of my role in the company and the how my role contribute to the growth of this company however some employees may not have seen the big picture yet. While compensation is any employees more important priority; reminding your employees of how pivotal their roles are is the ultimate compliment.

Good stop along my career path

Current Employee - Applications Systems Analyst II
    Current Employee - Applications Systems Analyst II

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable work environment that's not too taxing. I have a manager and director who go out of their way to make it a positive experience. I would work anywhere for them

Cons

Don't see much prospect for advancement nor encouragement to move forward. Slow pace. Took me a year to do what I've done in 3 months at my previous job

Advice to Management

Put more into personnel development and encourage more collaboration and innovation

Fiscally and Strategically Unorganized

Pros

Pay is good depending on your area of expertise.

Cons

Policies are inconsistent across the system. Corporate management and hospital management goals are not truly aligned. Way too many chiefs. HR senior leadership is unqualified in some cases.

Advice to Management

Align processes at the top, not at a hospital level.

Good People

Former Employee - Contract Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Contract Analyst in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Intelligent hard working colleagues Good Mission Growth Opportunities

Cons

Challenging industry environment Long commute Compensation level

No one has a clue...

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical System full-time

Pros

The PTO is good and the shift differential is pretty decent. The health benefits are great and the organization is reputable.

Cons

Where do I begin? The IT departmention is a mess. Management is unprofessional and underqualified. At any given time (while on the phone with endusers) F bombs and S bombs are dropping all around you. You can not get the same answer twice from management and if they tell you the wrong thing and you do it, then you are penalized. Management cares nothing about their employees or the quality of their service. It's all about answering calls even if you don't know how to answer the questions because there is no adequate training. This office is a waste of rental space because it disgraces the UMMC/UMMS reputation.

Advice to Management

Fire management and start over with people who aren't friends and actual cate about the employees and services they provide.

Micro Managed

Pros

Decent amount of time off. Challenging work place.

Cons

Micro Managed. Frequent reductions means a constant chance of being laid off.

RSS Feed </> Embed