University of Maryland Medical System

3.1

Robert A. Chrencik
1 Rating

Great company, poor department

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical System full-time for less than a year

Pros

UMMS is a pretty great company to work for. The insurance benefits are some of the best I've seen, I have ample vacation and sick time, and the employer contribution towards retirement is average with other similar sized companies. Hourly compensation is above par for my line of work and due to the company's rapid recent expansion, there is a lot of room for advancement.

Cons

The company has acquired several more hospitals without a clear plan of IT management. This puts a significant amount of stress on the IT departments to attempt to manage outside hardware and software. Though the plan is set to have this issue fixed and all software migrated into a single system in the coming months, it is not a good current situation.
    Most of the people in my department, including myself, feel overworked and have increasing amounts of stress from the higher ups to maintain the work load and work accuracy.

Lack of professionalism in IT department is epidemic

Former Employee - Applocation Analyst II  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Applocation Analyst II in Baltimore, MD

I worked at University of Maryland Medical System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Due to the large turnover of staff, you can still get an Epic certification here, whereas at other places that is being less and less available.

Cons

There is a despicable process for internal employees seeking transfers. When the current supervisor wants to block the transfer, obviously the supervisor gossips to the potential transfer supervisor. Nothing new here, pretty standard practice. What is rather nasty (and I know some Waylon Smithers-like staffer from their HR will try to deny this) is that the interview is scheduled but the interviewer is gone for the day. A theatrical production ensues where all this amazement and confusion occurs, and an underling is obtained to conduct the interview. It is fine if they don't want to interview, but to set it up and pull a stunt like this is a new low for employers. This could happen once by mistake but 3 times with different candidates and different supervisors--that's a pattern. So if your interview is scheduled for late in the day, expect the interviewer to be gone

UMMS has an unusually high portion of cronyism, especially in their IT department. The IT dept is full of non-technologists (i.e. people who were trained for other careers but clearly didn't succeed there and are now in IT). Think Obamacare website--lots of money but still doesn't work. Lots of duplication (even have 2 Ambulatory Directors--that is the least complicated area of the medical system (doctors' offices)) and site leads that don't do anything but collect a paycheck. Don't know how the CIO has managed to hang onto his job. A clinician has to view 4 different apps to see a complete record on a patient. It is like being in high school again, just an abysmal lack of professionalism.

Never, ever put non-technologists in IT Leadership roles. That's why nurses aren't leads for doctors and medical assistants are leads for nurses. No different for IT.

Great work enviornment

Current Employee - Contract Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Contract Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Schedules are flexible, I can come in pretty come in when ever I want as long as I put 8 hours in. The people are great to work with

Cons

low wages, no room for advancement, do not expect a merit or performance raise any time

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good start out

Current Employee - Applications Systems Analyst I  in  Linthicum Heights, MD
    Current Employee - Applications Systems Analyst I in Linthicum Heights, MD

Pros

Good benefits, good location, good experience to move on to something better.

Cons

No advancement without leaving team or organization. No raises. Poor project management and leadership. Unqualified FTE's. Heavily rely on consultants across the board.

Give FTE's advancement and training opportunities. Don't hire exempt employees and then treat them as hourly wages. Get better project managers and leadership in place.

Overall a nice place to work

Current Employee - Decision Support Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Decision Support Analyst in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The hospital has a good work/life balance. The compensation is also very competitive to other hospitals in the area with good benefits.

Cons

There are a lack of opportunities to move up for younger people due to many older people holding on until retirement.

Offer more opportunities for younger people.

Great Staff to work with but Organization need to make their employees feel important.

Current Employee - Applications Systems Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Applications Systems Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have tons of resources. They have they own health insurance network, which is excellent. They have the best level one trauma center in the world.

Cons

Management, Management and Corporate Management.

Invest in your employees and give them a reason to be proud of who they represent.

Disorganized Organization that fails to hire skilled employees & focus on providing meaningful orientation & training.

I worked at University of Maryland Medical System as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

To utilize their tuition assistance program.

Cons

A surprisingly disorganized Organization. Lacks a sufficient Orientation Program for new hires. Managers provide no team building and many coworkers lack camaraderie; it's a dog eat dog world.

Compensate quality employees; question and make accountable the managers that have high employee turnover. When I was there a Supervisor in another area had 11 staff members leave within a one year period (some of her employees provided verification regarding the threatening environment she created upon their exit interviews and still nothing was changed.) Many other Organizations would've fired her for creating a hostile work environment.

I think that it is a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at University of Maryland Medical System full-time

Pros

No matter what capacity you work in, knowing that you are part of a team that is ensuring a better quality of life for others is awesome

Cons

It is not so easy in being cross-trained for other areas in which you may be interested in

Remember not to bring any employee to wrath

Hard to be loyal to them when they are not to you

Former Employee - Management  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Management in Baltimore, MD

I worked at University of Maryland Medical System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leader in the Healthcare Industry
    Multi-faceted services and people
    Salaries are competitive
    Benefits are good
    Challenging

Cons

Poor communication up and down the organization
    Lacking in financial responsibility
    Will not make decisions
    Dishonest when faced with hard times
    Influenced inappropriately by board members

Have some backbone. Stand up for something and communicate it.
    Don't play both ends against the middle. The middle doesn't appreciate it and it doesn't help you.

Great healthcare system

Current Employee - Systems Analyst III  in  Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Linthicum, MD

Pros

Strong management, very technology focused -- especially for their patient care systems, excellent patient care. Salaries are top notch, benefits are good.

Cons

Working for a healthcare system you don't get the traditional holidays off, e.g., just Thursday, instead of Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving, but you do get three weeks vacation starting the first year. Like other Health Systems they're having a hard time right now, but they've handled lay offs, no raises, etc. in a very straightforward fashion.

Keep communicating with employees, especially during these hard times.

Worked for University of Maryland Medical System? Contribute to the Community!