University of Maryland School of Medicine

3.8
CEO

1. Research

I have been working at University of Maryland School of Medicine

Pros

Great Benefits and good work life balance

Cons

Not many growth opportunities. Furloughs, salary freezes, and taking away cost of living adjustments have become the norm.

2. Amazing all around

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Baltimore, MD

I worked at University of Maryland School of Medicine part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing staff all around. So many opportunities to learn and grow as a medical professional. They take care of you.They offer a variety of plans. And they are very flexible!

Cons

The hardest part of the job is juggling 100+ tickets in an eight hour shift while maintaining good customer service and management constantly giving more work without proper help on the floor.

3. Great place great benefits

I have been working at University of Maryland School of Medicine

Pros

Flexible schedule. Working from home. Paid time to work out during work hours.

Cons

Budget cuts affect promotions and pays. Hiring freeze resulted on picking up more work. Compensation is not that great.

If you support your admin staff you will get a better work result and you will achieve your objectives. You will save more money from supporting your staff and pay them fairly than cutting salaries or declining well deserved promotions.

5. Great first job after college

Former Employee - Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Research Assistant

I worked at University of Maryland School of Medicine

Pros

Great hours, and benefits. The job looked great on my resume and provided me with valuable work and life experience.

Cons

Very large organization, so experiences may vary depending on department. My overall experience was positive.

6. Depends on your department

I have been working at University of Maryland School of Medicine

Pros

Great state benefits, can be some autonomy

Cons

Largely depends on what department you are in. The job can vary quite a bit

7. Decent employer!

Current Employee - Research Assistant-Clinical
    Current Employee - Research Assistant-Clinical

I have been working at University of Maryland School of Medicine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at the University of Maryland SOM has largely been a good experience. As a state employee you receive good benefits. The people I have worked with have largely been very professional and friendly which made working here an enjoyable experience.

Cons

My biggest compliant about UMSOM is the lack of growth and promotional opportunities. Promotions and raises are based less of off your work ethic, education, and performance and more on the years you have worked here. I have found despite unique situations within my department which have lead me to take on many responsibilities and supervisory tasks well beyond my position for the last few years- I have repeated been told I cannot be promoted due to my limited number of years here. Despite being a school, Maryland offers very little incentive in the form of promotions or raises for putting yourself through more school. Add to this that recently crime surrounding the hospital and even inside the hospital has increased, the cons of working here certainly add up.

Create more flexibility in positions and salaries. For example every researcher across the hospital should not necessarily be paid the same when you factor in the quantity of work responsibilities, hours required on the job, and the demands of the job. Evaluate each person on a case to case basis rather than fitting everyone into the same category based on job title. Encourage growth among your employees rather than University of Maryland SOM being a "stepping stone" until something better comes along.

8. Research fellow

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at University of Maryland School of Medicine full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

personal growth, office culture and time-off policies

Cons

promotions and company values, work life balance

promotions

9. Excellent Stepping Stone for Bioinformatics Experts

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at University of Maryland School of Medicine full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture for young people on our way to a genomics career. Many knowledgeable and talented people. Free courses offered to employees to enhance our skills. There are excellent seminars on site. Founder of the institute is a top leader in genomics research. The institute is very well funded.

Cons

1. The location is unsavory and hazardous. 2. There are too many parties, farewell parties, wedding showers, baby showers, birthdays, it is too much. Plus being asked to contribute $ to each party for people you don't even know is unreasonable, IMHO.

Reduce the number of personal parties/showers. They are not conducive to morale. If there is some need by management to have celebrations, how about a party for getting a grant or a paper published, i.e. professional accomplishments?

10. A great institute for biomedical research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland School of Medicine full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a fantastic place for receiving your education, especially in the biomedical science

Cons

So far nothing came to my mind

11. A Great Graduate Program in Life Sciences

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The courses are great and there are always more being developed.
    There is a lot of help given in finding a lab to perform your thesis work.
    There are good core facilities that allow you to perform experiments that you lab cannot do in house.
    We have access to an amazing gym.
    The location is very close to the inner harbor, and the baseball stadium.

Cons

Until recently there was very little career development help, but this is changing.

Continue to be innovative and evolve to help students find the best job they are suited for later.