University of Massachusetts Reviews

166 reviews filtered by
4.0
University of Massachusetts President Robert L. Caret
Robert L. Caret

Pros
  • Good benefits; good work-life balance; decent food options and other employee perks (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits and there's a reason why no one leaves; guaranteed raises and cost of living increases (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • quite less room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• And there is little room for career advancement (in 4 reviews)

1. This is a University and if you get hired over here, it will be great experience i think.

I have been working at University of Massachusetts part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, systematic work, well organized places and available most of the resources

Cons

No any Cons but the weather conditions, sometimes you get extra holidays due to snow or storms

2. I've had a great time working at UMass Law and continue to enjoy my time here.

I have been working at University of Massachusetts

Pros

I love it here! Everyone is friendly to work with and very capable in their jobs.

Cons

It is a growing law school, and with that there are a few growing pains but nothing too serious.

There may be better ways of listening to what the needs of the staff are. The building does need some facial changes.

3. Great diversity of students and most are committed, hard working students who are here to learn.

Current Employee - Lecturer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Boston, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts part-time

Pros

Union for part time faculty, pay is on the higher end than most university courses, staff and faculty are generally friendly and supportive.

Cons

Little options for timing of classes, process to get things done can be slow, burned out employees.

Productivity review for all staff would be good, this can promote positive changes especially in those who might be struggling.

5. The pay is fair for the work hours and I love my boss and staff members.

Current Contractor - Resident Assistant in Amherst, MA
    Current Contractor - Resident Assistant in Amherst, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work as a resident assistant are for the financial security, meeting new people, having a "family" of people you can count on, and learning more about social justice.

Cons

Duty on the weekends goes until 2am and you have to finish a set of rounds starting at 2am, so you really don't get to sleep until 2:30am-3am on the weekends. The job can be time consuming, but it depends on if you leave everything to the last second.

I don't have any advice for upper management. I love my boss.

6. Overall

Current Employee - Clerk III in Amherst, MA
    Current Employee - Clerk III in Amherst, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sheer size allows for opportunities to work in variety of fields,
    If taking classes is your "thing," you get tuition waiver,
    More holidays than the classic corporate environment because the Univ. follows an academic schedule,
    Opportunity to improve skills through workplace learning
    An academic year has a different ebb/flow to the pace of work,
    Being around young people keeps you young AND on top of what's "current"
    Cutting edge research.
    You're helping shape the future "leaders" of our country--that's the purpose of education
    Academia is a pretty easy-going work environment.

Cons

If you want quick action, academia is not for you. It's thoughtful and sometimes painfully slow to change or even make decisions.

More focus on educational opportunities and less on the "frills" and acoutrements.
    I'd rather have the University say "we don't have a state of the art recreation center, but we can offer you some scholarship/grant/tuition waiver money to help pay the cost."

7. Great experience and learning opportunity

Former Employee - EHS Intern in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - EHS Intern in Amherst, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts

Pros

people were willing to share knowledge, vast experience to be gained working on campus

Cons

slow system, people don't want to work together, political/power struggles in the office

people there have been there for so long, position rarely open up, but the campus is expanding so new opportunities might be available

8. Great Learning experience

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Lowell, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great advisor, good facilities,friendly environment

Cons

very tough course work, qualifiers are very stressful

9. good place

I have been working at University of Massachusetts

Pros

diversity and nice people. good location, of course

Cons

did not integrate all the resource with other UMass branches

10. Poor management. Needs better leadership.

Former Employee - IT Department in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - IT Department in Boston, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts

Pros

People are friendly. Flexible hours for the most part. Probably a good place to work at if you're more focused on retirement but I can't recommend it for young people.

Cons

Terrible and inexperienced management. They tend to take credit for your work. They like to outsource or buy expensive products that ends up not being used in order to justify their accomplishments for the year. Unions make most people lazy and not work to their full potential. Management likes to ask you verbally and avoid sending you emails for work outside your job description so there won't be paper trails.

Get your act together

11. Teaching assistant compensation and responsibilities similar to other universities

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The experience you have as a teaching assistant depends primarily on who you're teaching for and the kind of guidance you get from the department. My experience with UMass was fine, and having the support while I finished my degree was great. The campus itself is in a beautiful location on the Boston Harbor, and there continue to be a lot of improvements to the buildings (including new buildings) all the time.

Cons

Payment and reimbursements are part of a HIGHLY bureaucratic system. People are generally nice in the grad student office, but I had issues getting paid on several occasions. Small points, but the library doesn't have enough windows -- which is true of a lot of the older buildings on campus. I hope that they new buildings are being constructed with higher standards!

Be open to change by listening to your undergrads, grad students, and junior faculty. They define the experience that people have of the school more than any other population there. Also, be sure to keep the support staff happy!

University of Massachusetts Photos