University of Massachusetts Reviews

Reset

1. Challenging

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depends on the kind of work you get. I am developing a responsive website, so learning new stuff and enjoying my work.

Cons

Majority of the positions are for work-study students, so little difficult for international students to find a part-time/assistantship.

2. It very pleasant working atmosphere

Pros

Doesn't hinder with the schedule of the school

Cons

Less working hours due to lot of staff

3. This is a University and if you get hired over here, it will be great experience i think.

I have been working at University of Massachusetts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, systematic work, well organized places and available most of the resources

Cons

No any Cons but the weather conditions, sometimes you get extra holidays due to snow or storms

5. I've had a great time working at UMass Law and continue to enjoy my time here.

Pros

I love it here! Everyone is friendly to work with and very capable in their jobs.

Cons

It is a growing law school, and with that there are a few growing pains but nothing too serious.

Advice to Management

There may be better ways of listening to what the needs of the staff are. The building does need some facial changes.

6. Great diversity of students and most are committed, hard working students who are here to learn.

Current Employee - Lecturer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Boston, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts part-time

Pros

Union for part time faculty, pay is on the higher end than most university courses, staff and faculty are generally friendly and supportive.

Cons

Little options for timing of classes, process to get things done can be slow, burned out employees.

Advice to Management

Productivity review for all staff would be good, this can promote positive changes especially in those who might be struggling.

7. Overall

Current Employee - Clerk III in Amherst, MA
    Current Employee - Clerk III in Amherst, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sheer size allows for opportunities to work in variety of fields, If taking classes is your "thing," you get tuition waiver, More holidays than the classic corporate environment because the Univ. follows an academic schedule, Opportunity to improve skills through workplace learning An academic year has a different ebb/flow to the pace of work, Being around young people keeps you young AND on top of what's "current" Cutting edge research. You're helping shape the future "leaders" of our country--that's the purpose of education Academia is a pretty easy-going work environment.

Cons

If you want quick action, academia is not for you. It's thoughtful and sometimes painfully slow to change or even make decisions.

Advice to Management

More focus on educational opportunities and less on the "frills" and acoutrements. I'd rather have the University say "we don't have a state of the art recreation center, but we can offer you some scholarship/grant/tuition waiver money to help pay the cost."

8. Great experience and learning opportunity

Former Employee - EHS Intern in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - EHS Intern in Amherst, MA

Pros

people were willing to share knowledge, vast experience to be gained working on campus

Cons

slow system, people don't want to work together, political/power struggles in the office

Advice to Management

people there have been there for so long, position rarely open up, but the campus is expanding so new opportunities might be available

9. Great Learning experience

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Lowell, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great advisor, good facilities,friendly environment

Cons

very tough course work, qualifiers are very stressful

10. good place

Pros

diversity and nice people. good location, of course

Cons

did not integrate all the resource with other UMass branches

Poor management. Needs better leadership.

Former Employee - IT Department in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - IT Department in Boston, MA

Pros

People are friendly. Flexible hours for the most part. Probably a good place to work at if you're more focused on retirement but I can't recommend it for young people.

Cons

Terrible and inexperienced management. They tend to take credit for your work. They like to outsource or buy expensive products that ends up not being used in order to justify their accomplishments for the year. Unions make most people lazy and not work to their full potential. Management likes to ask you verbally and avoid sending you emails for work outside your job description so there won't be paper trails.

Advice to Management

Get your act together

RSS Feed </> Embed