University of Massachusetts

University of Massachusetts Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

University of Massachusetts President Robert L. Caret

Robert L. Caret

Pros
  • Good benefits; good work-life balance; decent food options and other employee perks (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits and there's a reason why no one leaves; guaranteed raises and cost of living increases (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • quite less room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• And there is little room for career advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had bad hours, and hard to change departments

Consgreat benefits, summer is the slow season.

It's OK to work at UMass

Lab Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Proswork with students and professors. academic environment.

Consno business clients or customers

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Wonderful place to work!

Resident Assistant (Current Employee) Amherst, MA

Pros-Great benefits
    -good work-life balance. Your boss is typically very cool about taking personal time.
    -genuinely passionate individuals in the field of education

ConsAdvancing to higher levels of administration may take a few years but in my experience this is the same situation at a lot of universities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am very happy to work with faculty and fellow students in UMass; people are very nice.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Amherst, MA

Prospeople are nice; environment is good; you can learn a lot.

Consless intern opportunities in the small town

Yup, it's a big university.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA good level of diversity -- in people, classes, upper level options, seminars, mentors, everything academic.

ConsOnly you can prevent forest fires and only you can make UMass not impersonal. You get out what you put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about working with GEO more. You ignore them because they're aggressive and they're aggressive because you ignore them -- they're enthusiastic young people, that's how enthusiastic young people work. It may benefit the administration to look at grad students as an invigorating lifeblood not as a force to be suppressed.

Student, Intern, Employee

Marketing (Current Employee) Amherst, MA

ProsWorking at a university provides great benefits, amazing opportunities, and the chance to extend your education at minimal cost.

ConsSometimes you can be lost within the mass of employees at a large university, and money can be directed towards the wrong things leaving you overwhelmed with work. Either that, or it is the complete opposite, and there are too many people doing the same job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend taking a closer look at where funding goes, and spending it more on necessary investments such as better roads, better healthcare for students, and new resources for the humanities among other things. There is so much emphasis on athletics, the sciences, and the dining program that other important things are left neglected.

Excellent work atmosphere

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Amherst, MA

ProsThis position had a reasonable workload. Considering I was just a graduate student teaching assistant, I was well-paid. The campus is absolutely beautiful and the other employees were great people!

ConsSome of the buildings on campus are in desperate need of renovation, and the constant landscaping to keep campus looking good meant outdoor walking areas are frequently closed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have a more realistic representation of working hours!

I've been a student here for 3 years now, worked on campus for two years.

Assistant Marketing (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIt is an okay place to work at. People are mostly middle-aged, some of them hate their job, and some of them are really excited to be doing what they're doing. It's a vibrant community, you may meet people from all over the world and expand your horizons. By the end of the first year you'll probably remember that Haiti and DR are two states located on the same island. Compensation is fair enough.

ConsSometimes, it's hard to get along with people who are very stubborn in their way to go a good job. They don't want to do better, they are not interested in delivering excellent work. They just want to do a good job.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook seriously at some educational opportunities for your staff and try to attract more younger people.

Working for residential life puts you at the forefront for issues, yet you receive no support from the university.

Resident Assistant (Current Employee) Amherst, MA

Pros-Create new contacts
    -Resume builder
    -Good references

Cons-Not supportive of employees
    -If anything goes wrong, you are on your own
    -Low pay/High expectations
    -Expected to do the bidding of higher-ups without question or input
    -Higher-ups will not take your opinions into account

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should revise their bureaucratic policies to create an opening for employee input. The advice of the individuals who work with the students and see the results of implemented policies is invaluable. This is not recognized, but should be.

excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt gives one the privileged to work independently

Consi had no downsides working in University of Massachusetts

Worked for University of Massachusetts? Contribute to the Community!