University of Massachusetts

University of Massachusetts Reviews in Worcester, MA

3.9

University of Massachusetts President Robert L. Caret
Robert L. Caret

Pros
  • Good benefits; good work-life balance; decent food options and other employee perks (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits and there's a reason why no one leaves; guaranteed raises and cost of living increases (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • quite less room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• And there is little room for career advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Review of post-doc experience

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Worcester, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family-friendly atmosphere and good work-life balance. Flex time.

Cons

Salary is not great. Competitive atmosphere

State employee at University of Mass

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shrewsbury, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shrewsbury, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

State benefits, low pressure, some stability

Cons

No innovation, not eager to think out of the box, not a ton of room for growth

Listen to your employees and try to understand the big picture. Do not assume because things have run a certain way that it is the right way.

high energy, high expectation, team-oriented research based problem solving

Former Employee - Research Technician in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Worcester, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow employees have all "been there before" and are more than willing to help troubleshoot research problems with you.

Cons

As with any biological-research driven based company, hourly schedules often fluctuate with conducted experiments, sometimes requiring later work days or earlier starts. 99% of the time these problems are mitigable with some planning ahead.

It was a pleasure and an invaluable opportunity to work with such highly motivated professionals as an undergraduate intern.

Don't appreciate the hard work of their employees

Current Employee - Post Doc in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Post Doc in Worcester, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a very intellectually stimulating environment, lots of research and some of the top researchers in the world so there's a great focus on learning and advancing medicine. Also, the benefits are great.

Cons

I don't believe the employees are all treated with the kind of respect expected for the amount of work effort demanded for this type of field. Employees are expected to come in on weekends and holidays, fight through extreme weather to get to work under any circumstances. Yet, they make employees pay for their parking; reviews and raises are not done and pay is fairly poor.

Make the PIs do more to treat their lab members like regular employees - if they want better output, reward their efforts.

It's place for these people required a good balance between work and life.

I have been working at University of Massachusetts

Pros

It have everything a state university should have. You will have your personal life except the excellent environment for work.

Cons

It has trouble of self-promotion for some people since the school style is that you take care of yourself and we do our jobs. So it is a good place for retirement.

The progress of University of Massachusetts medical School is really impressive. However the school should recruit better research students and doctor candidates.

Overall, it was a good place to work and everyone is willing to help you when you need it.

Former Employee - Research Laboratory Technician in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Research Laboratory Technician in Worcester, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts

Pros

You learn very much about how a research lab operates, as well as learning many techniques and skills along the way. The PI's are very understanding about the work you perform, and most are flexible with scheduling.

Cons

The pay is sub-par, but that is expected from an academic institution (unless you are a professor). The administration is also sometimes very slow to help you with problems that may arise (such as obtaining access to different facilities).

Don't like it but it's the best in the area

Current Employee - I T in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - I T in Worcester, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts

Pros

Working for UMASS Medical School is very challenging but it has great benefits and an excellent work-life balance. It's why most people still work here. For me the pros are ten minutes away from where i live, more paid holidays that any other employer in the area, great compensation compared to the rest of the companies in the area, extremely flexible work life balance which includes working from home and a very generous benefits package and retirement plan.

Cons

Where to begin?

This company is completely politics driven and there is no accountability.
    There is no growth and career advancement.
    Folks in I.T. withhold information, are very difficult to work with, don’t communicate changes and they never plan ahead. There isn’t a clear process on how to proceed on a daily basis. Everyone works in reactive and not in proactive mode. Don’t fix it until its broken type of mentality.
    There’s absolutely no communication between I.T. departments, so if something changes many hours are wasted to figure out the problem that was caused by the non-communicated change.
    Yearly reviews with your manager are a joke and there is no feedback at all.
    There is no recognition and praise when you put in long hours and after you have fixed a major problem caused by a non-communicated change. Most people don't care or don't want to know what you did and why you stayed late. If you do this often and keep staying late it's then expected.
    Management and Senior Management are unqualified for the job. They still work here because it’s a State Agency and they know Key people.
    What’s also a slap to the face is how promotions and raises are given. It seems that only the incompetent and lazy are promoted.
    This place also lack basic professionalism standards that are required in the workplace.
    There is no respect between employees because the whole place is politic-driven.
    That’s the best I can do with the character limit imposed by Glassdoor.com. To fully review this company you’ll need to write a book.
    I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone except those who have a family and look for a balanced work-life relationship.
    The only thing I have to look forward to everyday is when it’s time to go home, when it’s Friday or when I take my vacation.

See Cons.

Faculty cherished, all others second class.

Former Employee - Staff in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Staff in Worcester, MA

I worked at University of Massachusetts

Pros

Flexible, competitive compensation, not particularly demanding environment. The good news is that all employees are treated equally. The bad news is that all employees are treated equally.

Cons

Only PhD's, specifically scientific, are promoted to senior non-academic management positions, despite zero experience in the particular department or discipline.
    Beurocratic traffic jams delay projects.
    Very few comprehensive systems in place to support campuswide communication, calendars, information distribution, institutional research, etc... Feels like everyone starts every project from scratch.
    Merit based pay system exists only in theory.

Checks and balances.

satisfied overall with employment

I have been working at University of Massachusetts

Pros

flexibility with working hours, also u mass has a great benefits package and good overall projects to work on, along with good departments.

Cons

some of the downsides include politics and the who you know game. I think the pros do outweigh the cons however

I think recently the management team at U Mass has done a good job in coping with the economic hardships, and only comment would be to continue on the path their on

Nice to start but don't plan to stay

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Shrewsbury, MA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Shrewsbury, MA

I have been working at University of Massachusetts

Pros

Generous paid time off and sensitivity to work/ life balance. Some flexible scheduling and a fringe benefits equal and in some cases better than other employers.

Cons

Opportunities as few and you need to "play the game" to get ahead. While senior management has the technical skills to accomplish the work their people skills are sorely lacking and it does not appear there are any programs in place to enhance these skills. If you are of the "state employee" mindset and are comfortable getting plugged into a position with minimal advancement and opportunity for job growth this may be for you.

Look at improving employee morale through recognition and promotion. Have greater opportunities for exposure to upper management.

University of Massachusetts Photos