University of Miami

www.miami.edu

University of Miami Reviews in Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL

Updated Jul 28, 2014
University of Miami – “KSV Langmuir Mini Trough”

University of Miami – “KSV Langmuir Mini Trough”

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala

Donna E. Shalala

Pros
  • The UM is a reputable institution and has a beautiful campus (in 13 reviews)

• beautiful weather, lovely people, and just an overall great work environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of opportunities to grow and promotion (in 4 reviews)

• No room for growth, poor pay, no incentives to excel (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights
102 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good University

PhD Student (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsI spent two year there for my PHD program. The professors are very good. Most of them are graduated from top 20 universities and good at their own research area. The classes are quiet small.

ConsThe program is quiet small, which makes you are the focus of the professors. Sometimes, that is pretty annoying. However, I still love the university and professors.

Beautiful city, beautiful people

Graduate Student (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThe culture is wonderful, the atmosphere is beautiful, its easy to fall in love with Miami. The professors are great and are really down to earth. The campus is beautiful and has a diverse array of students, faculty and staff. The research is leading and cutting edge.

ConsWork-life balance is difficult as a graduate student but many find time to do the things they want to do. A disciplined work ethic will take you far.

Executive Assistant

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Coral Gables, FL

ProsSalary, benefits and beautiful campus. President Shalala is friendly and very knowledgeable. I enjoyed my brief encounters with her.

ConsUpper management is lacking in supervisory skills. Interoffice communication very poor. Upper management attended Culture Shaping Workshops. This needs to be continually followed up on as some upper management do not take this training seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better. Don't assume everyone is on the same page. Perhaps bi-weekly meetings?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

working and salary

Research Associate II (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat work place and nice to live, Good fellow, Benefit is so good. not too much working

ConsSalary is not good. low

Wonderful!

Senior Staff Assistant (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsIt was a very friendly atmosphere

ConsI thought I was underpaid,

Research Intern at the Institute to Cure Paralysis

Research Associate I (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat work environment. Everyone in my lab was friendly, worked well together, and was dedicated to their job.

ConsWorking in the downtown Miami area means there's a lot of traffic, but other than that the location was great

UHealth System NOT in good health

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsPrivate Company supported by Philanthropy.....will not go out of business

ConsUHealth & Miller School lacks LEADERSHIP. Ethically challenged......dishonest to the board.... The C-Suite executives have NO vision or leadership skills - they have big egos and collect massive paychecks. They don't lead nor make decisions with any consensus. Employee morale is lower than low. Benefits no longer set them apart from other employers. Employees do NOT feel valued. Used to be the BEST place to work!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementChange at the top - - from the President down to all the of C-Suite executives at UHealth & Miller school. Value your employees, you are losing competitive advantage for your employees and patients. Compensate employees appropriately.

Life of Graduate Assistant

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Miami, FL

Pros1. Have enough time to plan for rest of career.

Cons1. Slow pace progress.
    2. No appreciation.

Student work study

Intern (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThe culture in the lab was extremely laid back and the schedule was very flexible. You could take a day off whenever you needed.

ConsMachines would break down causing you to rerun samples over and over. Project goals would change that would benefit some but leave others with barely any work hours for a whole semester.

Very Good place to work

Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat benefits, including Heath insurance and the opportunity to continue your studies at UM, not only that but your kids can go for free once you meet the minimum required years of work, job stability.

ConsSalaries are not on part with other institutions, very demanding and some times stressful environment which cause a lot of people to quit( working at a hospital is not for everyone), opportunities to grow are sometimes limited.

Worked for University of Miami? Contribute to the Community!