University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine

Updated February 26, 2015
22 reviews filtered by
  • Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL Area
3.2
University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine Regional Dean for Medical Education Daniel M. Lichtstein
Daniel M. Lichtstein

Large academic environment with many areas of employment.

Current Employee - Coordinator in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, salary ok, easy to transfer within the institution. Room for growth. Educational benefits are very good for those looking to gain a degree through their employer.

Cons

Can be challenging environment to succeed in depending on where you work. Very political environment. Hard to make changes with the structure due to multiple layers of leadership. Somewhat stuck in old thinking, or the "we've always done it that way" mentality.

Promote thought on ways to make the system better, and break out of the top down management mentality. Diversity should be rewarded instead of penalized. Look from within and find those who should advance. Rethink the salary structure compared to your competitors and the expensive cost of living in South Florida.

2. Great People and good work environment.

Current Employee - Epic Credentialed Trainer in Univ of Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Epic Credentialed Trainer in Univ of Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine

Pros

Employees in general have a passion for healthcare. Specifically in the Sylvester Cancer Center. Training was received very well. Upgraded the facilities to assist in the training effort.

Cons

Limited investment in getting the best people for the job. Sometimes budgetary constraints limited needed training. To many chiefs not communicating with one another. Short and long term planning could use some tweaking.

Some of your development will have to come from outside of your organization or you have to upgrade the training for your current employees.

3. Horrible politics and incompetent management

Former Employee - Compliance Auditor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Compliance Auditor in Miami, FL

I worked at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great healthcare and benefits, you will get a ton of experience from working there, tuition remission

Cons

Politics run UM (including who gets hired and who doesn't), HR could care less about employees - they will protect a horrible manager/supervisor over an employee any day, extremely underpaid compared to other companies, ded end job - no room for growth, will hire from outside instead of promoting from within

First and foremost, HR needs to step it up and take into consideration the employees for once and not try to protect the management. Get stricter about who should be hired and what credentials are needed. There are way too many incompetent managers/supervisors who are doing a terrible job because they lack knowledge and related credentials. Increase your pay. You literally have to beg to get a minuscule raise at UM. I understand you have tuition remission but people can't live off of what UM pays, unless you're a top dog...and you don't get to the top of that mountain unless you know someone.

5. I can be fun!!

Current Employee - Research Associate III in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Research Associate III in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the company culture is fun and I have great co-workers.

Cons

Management is lacking, low pay and no career advancement

6. Research Associate

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Miami, FL

Pros

Great benefits and environment to work in.

Cons

you will never get a raise

7. Lab research in Miami

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate II in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate II in Miami, FL

Pros

weather
    nice campus
    some times new building/fascilities
    IT services are excellent

Cons

Research labs are mediocre. the science is not there because there is no funding.
    i wouldn't recommend anyone to come here if they have been in good institutions before.

get your things together.
    it takes for ever to get employed once you are given an offer. (took me 3 months).
    Very unstable job environment.:No money,

8. I enjoyed my job.

Current Employee - Research Laboratory Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Research Laboratory Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility and great benefits. Compensation is not very good.

Cons

Not much opportunities to move vertical in job posts.

9. senior research associate

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Miami, FL

Pros

health benefits, great boss, collaborative research groups

Cons

shady leadership, administration is a disaster -disorganized, constant turnover

10. High physician turnover rate due to leadership

Current Employee - Physician in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Physician in Miami, FL

Pros

Malpractice coverage, good benefits - retirement matching, medical, educational benefits, paid time off including maternity

Cons

Poor leadership - Dean and President do not care at all about needs and complaints of faculty. Very high turnover in other senior leadership and faculty due to dissatisfaction

11. getting wort to employees

Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Miami, FL

I worked at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine part-time (less than a year)

Pros

none, just like the last time that i worked for UM

Cons

all UM is doing right now its trying not to give employees any benefits whatsoever , the entire system is worst than the last time that i worked for this :company any process takes forever all supervisors are not trained properly they hold such positions because they know somebody, as an example on the corporate run only 1000 employee participated, if we compare it to Baptist Hosp. with less than half the number of employees 1,800 employee participated on Baptist corporate run, the moral on almost all employees is lower that 3 years ago only the :BIG SHOTS" of course, are the only ones happy.
     they need to make employes moral and work enjoyable and to feel pride and proud to work for UM,

UM and the entire system is in decay a major change is needed starting from the very top.

give employes better benefits, better treatment, aim to lead by example, work to make employes feel pride on what they do and feel pride to work for the all mighty UM and UM systems , go to training to be bette leader not the make employes feel like they have to do what they told because they have no choice but instead do there work because they want to and they enjoy what they do and enjoy work for UM as well.