University of Miami

Updated November 23, 2014
3.9

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala
Donna E. Shalala

Pros
  • Good benefits, especially health benefits (in 15 reviews)

• The UM is a reputable institution and has a beautiful campus (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of opportunities to grow and promotion (in 5 reviews)

• Not the best feedback and room for growth (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

depends on the department

I have been working at University of Miami

Pros

looks great on a resume

Cons

where do o begin.

Eliminate political placements from positions they are not qualified for

Run fast

I have been working at University of Miami full-time

Pros

Tuition benefits are great if you need an undergraduate degree, graduate degrees become very pricey

Cons

1. Poor Leadership
    2. Poor managers are permitted to stay beyond their time and thus create toxic environments
    3. Salaries border on slave wages

Reevaluate salary bands, and really analyze managers to see if they truly are successful or merely creating smoke and mirrors

Its not about the "U" Its about the little people who work hard everyday who make the "U" what it is today

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hard working, friendly and caring co-workers

Cons

There are many. Poor salaries. No raises. No cost of living raise some years. Have to pay for parking your car at your jobsite($900/year)!! Expensive medical insurance costs for staff. Difficult to use tuition-remission benefit. Poor Dr--staff repor. Poor Administration. Poor communication within and between departments. UM is too top heavy with administrators, executive directors, directors, COOs, CEOs etc. If you want a job, its not what degree you have, but who you know or who you are related to. Alot of inequality among staff salary and education! Degrees means nothing here. For example, people who have no college degree are put in management positions and make more than others who have Master degrees.

There needs to me less management and more focus on quality patient care.Also, happy employees=happy patients, or customers at the "U" since its all about the $

Their policies show how little they care about employees.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have two positive things to say about UM. First, they pay me well. Second, my boss knows how much UM stinks so is lenient on the policies and allows for bending the rules.

Cons

Human Resources is a mess. Their website is always out of date, they cannot produce an employee handbook, and they never answer emails or phone calls.

Benefits are terrible, especially for a Medical school, you would think they would have better medical benefits. Seems to me that the problem is because they are a medical school, they "insensitivize" you to use the medical school facilities. For example, aetna covers imaging services (x-rays, cat-scans, etc) from hundreds of locations in Miami-Dade and Broward. Yet the University has brokered some deal with Aetna telling them NOT to cover imaging services done outside the University. So instead of going a few blocks away to get xrays that Aetna would usually cover I have to drive 35 miles to the nearest UM facility that offers imaging services. My doctor is 5 minutes away. When he tells me he needs a cat scan or x-rays I need to drive 45 minutes away to get them.

Maternity and Paternity leave are non-existent. That is they do not offer ANY paid leave for this purpose. You can use FMLA by applying for a "Leave of absence" but that will eat up all your sick time and if that isn't enough (most likely) you do not get paid for the additional days. Plus your job is not guaranteed to still be there after 30 days.

There are hundreds of slap-employee-in-the-face policies like the above ones scattered through out a website that is not updated and has many dead links. So after spending hours unsuccessfully trying to get answers on their website, reading inconsistent information, you wait for weeks for someone at HR to return your call or email. And still information is inconsistent between HR reps.

IT department is also underfunded and a scattered mess. You can never get anything done if you rely on them for anything. CIO needs to have dedicated teams of people for core services such as email, website hosting, ERP, networking, telephony, etc. for ALL campuses. RSMAS is ignored. instead they have a few guys that sort of do it all which spread them thin, they can't help many people at all and cannot possibly be experts on anything. (no fault of their own)

When I first started the Department hiring me gave me the list of benefits. At the time when I wanted to use them I couldn't. Apparently I was giving an outdated copy 10 years outdated! So the benefits had changed so drastically I was flabbergasted.

HR needs a complete overhaul. IT also needs a complete overhaul (follow FIU's lead)

no job security

I worked at University of Miami

Pros

the co workers are very nice.

Cons

too many to list. No job security. Taking a job offer here is putting your professional career at risk. you don't know when they will ask u to leave. people who had worked over 15- 30 yrs were laid off. Some of the people in higher authority don't even have the qualifications or degrees for there position. This place definitly all about who you know, which is completely unfair.

Hire people who are educationally qualified. Not for there looks. Also ask your staff/ employees to start speaking english, its a shame such a big university have people speaking languages other than english in front of patients.

Unsupported by Admin, Ignored by Dean

I worked at University of Miami

Pros

The weather is nice and the individual departments of the business school are okay.

Cons

The Vice Dean monopolizes the time in any meeting you have with him so nothing is resolved. HE does this in meetings that include his superiors and he should shut the hell up.

Horrible !

Former Employee - Senior Patient Access Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Patient Access Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at University of Miami

Pros

University of Miami is not what everyone will think it is. It is a disastrous place to work for. Human Resource is a mess. If you have problems with administration or are being treated unfairly, Human Resource will use it against you and your supervisor will be informed instead of trying to fix the problem. It is a very uncomfortable position to be in. All my family has worked here, including my mom that was a director here for 26 years and she has never felt so disgusted about the University of Miami in her life. I do NOT recommend this place.

Cons

No respect from management. They treat their employees horribly and nothing is done about it.

Learn how to treat your employees.

Teaching to research

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at University of Miami

Pros

The university is interested in becoming a research type of university, so it has good support on research.

Cons

You have to be very careful at this university in order to survive.

They are cheap as hell!

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Coral Gables, FL
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Coral Gables, FL

I have been working at University of Miami

Pros

You get access to free stuff through their affiliations and status as a University. The hours are flexible around class schedules and this is basically the only reason I don't quit. They do recognize you for good performance however it is always just a pat on the back, never a bump in pay.

Cons

The people they put in charge at a University are some of the most incompetent and frankly stupid people I have ever encountered. It is also very disappointing how the budget never seems to have enough there for raises (or any form of bonus). I wish I could quit, but the pocket money helps being a student in Miami and finding a job around class schedules can be challenging.

Management - PLEASE rethink some of the hiring policies employed at the University of Miami. I have seen more bad hires come and go than I care to remember. A hire should have some familiarity with the department they are hired for and not because someone in charge knew the individual's family. There are brothers, sisters, cousins, fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, etc of someone everywhere!

Poor pay, poor support for professional development

Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Coral Gables, FL
    Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at University of Miami

Pros

somewhat prestigious university, so it looks good on your cv/resume

Cons

I got zero support for professional development, and some faculty could not come to terms with the fact that in order for me FINANCIALLY and professionally to make it out of a dead-end job like a VAP at UM I had to get some research done. I can understand that a VAP is not a research position, but they're paying dirt wages, so there should be some sort of recognition of the fact that this is a very temporary situation and that a VAP should have some room to research so as to get out of that situation

Staff is really resentful of the fact that it's so difficult to advance w/in UM and the pay sucks. That affects everything in the university.

University of Miami Photos