University of Michigan

University of Michigan Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

University of Michigan President Mary Sue Coleman

Mary Sue Coleman

Pros
  • Great institution to work for, work-life balance(in 17 reviews)

• Academic setting - cutting edge research, great colleagues, bosses, and atmosphere(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The graduate students in non-science disciplines are always bugging you to become unionized(in 10 reviews)

• Cold weather in winter will give you a hard time(in 8 reviews)

Highly variable, mostly good

Graduate Student Instructor (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsThere are incredible opportunities for research at UofM, and potentially a chance to truly distinguish yourself at a globally well-reputed institution.

ConsAs in all academia, pay is low and continued employment mostly uncertain (before tenure). Opportunities at UofM depend very heavily upon the leadership of the research-group.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure teaching/research balance without altering courses by permitting single-submission of group-work.
    Have graduate researchers track specific events in the course (with records held by faculty) of their programs so that professors may be held accountable for needless disruptive alterations to projects or other workplace problems. Even if the matter rarely comes up directly, the extra security could go a long way towards improving productivity.

I was an undergrad researcher and got paid cash money.

ProsThey pay you to do stuff that you'd totally do for free (if you're like me and do science anyway purple monkey dishwasher minimum word limits).

ConsEh, maybe you will be pressured to give talks and go to conferences. It, of course, completely depends on who your advisor is.

Intermittent Lecturer, satisfied with opportunity but in need of more stable appointment

Intermittent Lecturer (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

Pros-schedule flexibility
    -high pay compared to lecturers at other universities because of union
    -freedom of exploration in academic and professional interests
    -strong supportive faculty

Cons-unclear roles
    -little formal mentorship
    -intermittent appointment frustrating at times

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Resourceful place to work at.

Research Specialist (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

Prosleadership, benefits, work life balance is good, small town, good people, help with job search,, many opportunities to talk to senior staff about personal and professional issues, very good staff.

Consshould work on this infrastructure facilities, could provide more opportunities to minority students, could have good grievance committees for resolving staff conflicts.

great healthcare

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

Prosgreat health plan, super hospitals

Conssalary is not very competitive

Advice to Senior Managementparking is difficult

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsGood pay. Great benefits. It is a huge organization so there is plenty of room to move around and a lot of opportunities.

ConsIn my department, the management was very scattered. There were times I did not even know who my supervisor was. There needs to be more of a sense of teamwork.

Great opportunities for undergraduate research

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

Prosworking with world-class professing on invovled research projects. Don't have to take a back seat and you can be actually engaged.

ConsWorked for credit hours, which seemed like alot of time for few hours. Research project was reliant on participation so often slow if no participants signed up.

Great place to work, academia is low paying though often...

Senior Research Lab Technician (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsAcademic setting - cutting edge research, great colleagues, bosses, and atmosphere. The culture is such that you are independently working on things you're interested in and you are trusted and respected as an employee.

ConsThe pay is often quite low for the level of education you might have. I also see little room to move up in my current position.

Designer

Designer (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsFlexible Hours, great as a student

ConsFast paced, can conflict with student interests

Advice to Senior Managementnone!

I have worked here for 10 years and it's a hard place to leave. Great work environment

Associate Director (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsFlexibility, ability to be creative, working with open-minded, competent colleagues across disciplines and departments; hardworking and dedicated students.

ConsSalary and promotions; some areas could use more/better financial resources for development.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter transition opportunities into upper management positions.

Worked for University of Michigan? Contribute to the Community!