University of Minnesota

University of Minnesota Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler

Eric W. Kaler

Pros
  • The Director provides wonderful leadership and a there is a good work life balance in the office(in 19 reviews)

• Employees have access to great benefits and are generally well compensated(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for the amount of education (but hey, it's academia, what's new)(in 9 reviews)

• Not as much opportunities for advancement(in 5 reviews)

Higher Education is not a utopia

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, intelligent coworkers, activities on campus

ConsNo HR oversight for bad work environments, bullying in the workplace is overlooked, little opportunity for career or salary advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet managers better training, and offer academic staff better work-life balance opportunities. P & A staff are treated like entry-level hourly workers in many departments, which is demotivating. The lack of follow-through on poor staff performance (e.g. bitter lifer bureaucrats) and the lack of opportunities for advancement and managerial/supervisory experience erode incentives to perform.

Poor career opportunities

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosgreat people in the department, decent benefits

Consvery little/now connection with pharma industry, low salaries as post-doc

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Student jobs are jokes

Student Laborer (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Proseasy to get time off, summer hours 7-330 which is pretty decent

Conspay is minimal for a whole lot of work doing Landcare

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better go back to school.

Junior Scientist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou can get a lot of research experience, which is great if you want to do research for the rest of your life.

ConsThe pay rates are terrible for Jr. Scientists and the cost of living raises at year end are almost nothing. If you have to pay for parking, it's a considerable amount to be taken out of your paycheck each month.

Great benefits.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsNo really, the benefits were the only reason I stayed. I guess there are some positives when it comes to advising, but it's really hit or miss and a little too hit or miss for my liking.

Consclassic minnesota passive aggressiveness. The union busting efforts were a real downer and really took the wind out of everyone's sails, I feel. International students are often put in a position where they suffer from a two-tiered system of graduate appointments because of work visa issues.

Great research experience!

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe research job I am working in has a lot of room for job growth/ expansion. There are many opportunities for new experiences and responsibilities. And the people are great to work with!

ConsIn the lab, a large requirement of time is dedicated to working on weeknights and weekends. The compensation doesn't really amount to total hours worked or time put in, in comparison.

Very flexible, fun environment

University of Minnesota, Office of Admissions (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsEncouragement to transfer to different roles, great leadership, opportunity for advancement, quality training

ConsPay was mediocre, little opportunity for pay raises or negotiation

Fun Environment

ProsGreat people to work with, flexible schedule.

ConsInconsistent work hours and no room for growth.

Student Unions & Activities Commuter Connection Co-Chair/Intern

Co-chair (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsAmazing organization to be a part of. The student community was amazing and was a fantastic group to be a part of. My views were taken seriously and my suggestions were utilized. The full-time staff were exceptional and did a great job letting the students run the group. The balance between hands-on and hands-off management from the full-time staff was perfect.

ConsThe commuter population on campus is huge, however the activism and utilization of the student organization was minimal. It was difficult to recruit students to take a more active role in the organization- as a result, the group came off as a clique.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would offer to help the students write resumes and build their strengths in areas where their career path will take them. Ex. if a student is in Engineering then I would focus on the office-type skills and give them a lot of opportunities to help with what they are passionate about.

Good Academic environment

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

Prosfull health insurance benefit, academic environment enables me to develop research and communication skills required for seeking an industry job

Consself-disciphlined, research-oriented, may not be adequately prepared for industry after graduation

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!