University of Minnesota

University of Minnesota Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler

Eric W. Kaler

Pros:
  • "Work/Life balance in my department is really great"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Great benefits - especially the Regents Scholarship"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay for the amount of education (but hey, it's academia, what's new)"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Not as much opportunities for advancement"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people to work with, but administration can be lost at times.

Instructor (Current Employee)
Duluth, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a supportive community of faculty to help with anything.

ConsAdministration does little to tell you how you are doing. They are primarily concerned with the budget, not their faculty. Now this can be good when you want to be left on your own, but at times it would be nice to know if you have job security or not.

Many great benefits and intellectually stimulating environment

I have been working at University of Minnesota

ProsMany resources available if you know how to access them. Exciting place to work if you enjoy reading and learning about a huge variety of sciences, arts, research...

ConsCumbersome systems for data management that take months to learn before one can be competent in the work. This is challenging for new employees but also challenging for the entire team as we wait for the new people to catch up.

Research Assistant

I have been working at University of Minnesota

Prosgood in training programs very useful

Consnothing particular, so it's ok

great place

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time for less than a year

Prosnice place to work. everyone is friendly. instructors are great to work with. students are great to teach. like it here

Consgive acceptance decision very slowly. the pay is a little low compared to other universities of similar rank. work hour gets a little lenghty some times

Principal Accounts Specialist at UMN

Principal Accounts Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis was a great first full-time work experience. I learned a lot about my department and the University.

ConsThe pay was pretty low, even compared to other departments within the University. There are not a lot -- or any -- room for advancement. The job can get boring after you are trained in & efficient. It is a lot of paper pushing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy department management was great. The University management could do a better job of ensuring pay across departments for similar jobs is consistent and make the training process more efficient. I had to sit through nearly a month of training at a central office, where I didn't actually learn much of anything. The training that helped me for my job was with my coworkers, but I needed the training at the central office to get access to the Financial system. It was very inefficient, in my opinion.

Make sure to find a highly recommended superior before accepting a position

Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood opportunities to work with people outside of the University in extension roles, friendly co-workers

ConsLimited courses offered to graduate students, very little help in finding employment after degree completion, expected to work well beyond number of paid hours

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvisor roles should be taken more seriously and critically evaluated by upper management personnel

I developed a lot of pride for my job and the school.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people. The office environment is centered around success for the school. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help everyone out. The workload was never too bad and being in sports was always very interesting.

ConsIt is very difficult to climb the ranks and get a promotion. Not many positions became available so I was never able to get a promotion.

Great opportunity for personal growth.

I have been working at University of Minnesota

ProsThe knowledge I have gained from here is more than I could have learned in any text book. The confidence I have in myself after working here is far greater than when I started. Everyday there is a new challenge, which keeps me on my toes.

ConsLack in follow through, knowledge/comprehension on company policies. Difficult to be fully engaged at work when others have a different work ethic than you, and do not follow the same companies policies and code of ethics as you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the new facility to come in 2016, shorter exam times for physicians to see their patients will cause for patient dissatisfaction. Shorter physician clinic scheduled times (8hours a day to 4 hours a day) will cause for a longer wait list for patients to get into see the physician.

Overall it has been a good experience

I have been working at University of Minnesota part-time

ProsA lot of freedom to explore interesting research and opportunities to use state of the art equipment

ConsPay is very minimal for the expected time commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and help students graduate faster

Mediocre Company

Community Program Specialist/Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits. Great place to network with new people

ConsTakes too long to get a task completed. Too much red tape. There was no "orientation" that was specific to my position. I had to learn everything myself and find my own training sessions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to actually manage. They need to find the correct educationals to give to their employees. When an employee asked for help, the management stated that it was an easy fix and to talk with "so and so". This does not bode well with everyone else in the University system/hospitals/clinics. An employee does not have the authority to tell the staff, that is not in their department, to do a certain task and make it a high priority task. Management needs to learn that not all employees have the authority that they do.

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Minnesota reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Minnesota CEO Eric W. Kaler . All 393 reviews posted anonymously by University of Minnesota employees.