University of Minnesota

University of Minnesota Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler

Eric W. Kaler

Pros
  • The Director provides wonderful leadership and a there is a good work life balance in the office(in 19 reviews)

• Employees have access to great benefits and are generally well compensated(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for the amount of education (but hey, it's academia, what's new)(in 9 reviews)

• Not as much opportunities for advancement(in 5 reviews)

Student Unions & Activities Commuter Connection Co-Chair/Intern

Co-chair (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsAmazing organization to be a part of. The student community was amazing and was a fantastic group to be a part of. My views were taken seriously and my suggestions were utilized. The full-time staff were exceptional and did a great job letting the students run the group. The balance between hands-on and hands-off management from the full-time staff was perfect.

ConsThe commuter population on campus is huge, however the activism and utilization of the student organization was minimal. It was difficult to recruit students to take a more active role in the organization- as a result, the group came off as a clique.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would offer to help the students write resumes and build their strengths in areas where their career path will take them. Ex. if a student is in Engineering then I would focus on the office-type skills and give them a lot of opportunities to help with what they are passionate about.

Good Academic environment

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

Prosfull health insurance benefit, academic environment enables me to develop research and communication skills required for seeking an industry job

Consself-disciphlined, research-oriented, may not be adequately prepared for industry after graduation

Flexible, and good as a student

Custodian (Current Employee)

ProsI worked for the U as a student in a part time position at the gym.

ConsI had no cons for working here. It was exactly what I needed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An interesting place to work.

Cne (Former Employee)

ProsThere are many opportunities for advancing your education. They are very understanding when life intervenes and FMLA is needed without repercussions. The benefits are good and reasonable.

ConsAs many of the programs are grant funded...there is no guarantee that the position will continue.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees might have the answers that you are seeking-collaboration not keeping all in the dark might work better.

Admissions Office: Great Opportunities, But Non-supportive of People of Color

Admissions Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Pros-Great for connecting/networking
    -A ton of opportunities to explore post-bacc education

Cons-Racist environment
    -Few opportunities for leadership
    -Lack of managerial support and collaborative staff

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit using the people of color in the office as tokens by putting them on the front of your postcard to highlight the nonexistent diversity present

Numerous opportunities to grow in any field.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsOffice environment is always bright and cheerful. There's always a way to get the learning experience you want, you just have to ask around. Employers are always willing to lend a hand in finding a job that fits your interests.

ConsDepending on where you work you might have to take things in your own hand to get where you want or to improve your work environment. Employers are flexible with when you take time off just need to notify your employer a week or two in advance as courtesy and send an email as reminder.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make sure the entire building has wifi signal (basement mainly) and coordinate with carriers to enhance cell signals in facilities (older buildings).

nice place to start research career

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosgood facility supports, sufficient shared resources, well organized research seminars and events, helpful staff/coordinators, very good employee insurance benefits

Consendless winter, self-motivated could be very very busy (work-life imbalanced)

Great place

ProsAcademic, health care plan is great

ConsWeather is not that good

I have had a excellent working experience at the career services center

Graduate Intern (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsThe staff are extremely talented, skilled and professional. They are passionate about career development work and help students move forward in their career path. They are a dynamic team of individuals who are committed to helping each other develop professionally and committed to high quality work. They have a strong commitment to ongoing development of cultural competency and advocacy through professional training and engagement with students. The Director provides wonderful leadership and a there is a good work life balance in the office. Lots of opportunity to be creative in your work and to grow professionally.

ConsAs an intern I would have like to have stayed on permanently however these are such good jobs in such a good environment it is rare that anyone ever leaves their position. So job openings are rare.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support and build your career development staff. Allocate as much money as you can to add new staff to covering the ever growing and expanding demand for career services

Very pleasant and easy-going culture.

Personnel Specialist (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsNice people, work-life balance, beautiful grounds.

ConsBoring work, not a lot of interaction between employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a more collaborative work environment.

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!