University of Minnesota

University of Minnesota Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler

Eric W. Kaler

Pros:
  • "The Director provides wonderful leadership and a there is a good work life balance in the office"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Employees have access to great benefits and are generally well compensated"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay for the amount of education (but hey, it's academia, what's new)"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Not as much opportunities for advancement"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Childcare worker at Childcare and development center

Childcare Worker (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThey really work well with your schedule and understand when something comes up and you can't make your shift.

ConsSometimes you just can't get enough hours do to personal schedules and the center not being open on weekends but it's also awesome that the center isn't open on weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Research Assisant

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThis is a great academic institution where learning is fostered by research and teaching.

ConsThere are no pros. Great place to be in!!!

Great University, Mediocre Management

Senior Lecturer (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsAmazing research, sometimes amazing teaching and students, great benefits, mission-driven.

ConsGlacial decision making, too internally focused.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good first job

Unix Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsOffers a ton of learning opportunities through easy access to classes and scholarships for employees.

ConsThere is not a lot of motivation at the UMN. Things get done very slowly and there is a lot of waste.

Very good place to work

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsI love the working environment and I am working here for more than one year. People here are very friendly.

ConsNot very competive paid and very hard to get promote. School time and work time will be hard to balance.

Great place to gain experience and an education

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work schedules, friendly environment, and many opportunities to learn about what you're interested in. Take classes while you work to gain skills that either relate to your job or other interests.

ConsIf you don't already work at UMN, you're chances of getting into the system are pretty slim. They tend to only hire within, and while departments list job postings, they often already have someone in their employment that they have in mind for the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about funding for certain research departments

Not a bad place for engineering graduate student

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsI'm a PhD candidate in an engineering department, working as both a research and teaching assistant. The U has a decent pay for graduate assistants. The health insurance is great! I have never heard a single complaint about the health insurance provided for the graduate assistants. The school is in a pretty nice location, and commuting is very convenient. The stipend is good, if not the best among major engineering schools. The school has almost every single field (engineering, computer science, med school, agriculture...), so interdisciplinary research is very common.

ConsThis is probably common for most public schools: lack of funding. Over the past few years, a lot of PhD students had to work as a TA (including me!) to make up for the full 50% assistantship. Many equipment in our department need replacement. A lot of paperwork if you ever want to do something, even though I do see changes occur.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe U is a great place, so please work hard to make it even better! We need more money from both the state and the industry to fund our growth.

Decent experience, a lot of hours

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsIt is a great starting point for anyone who is interested in working in Division I athletics. I was given a lot of responsibility and met leaders in my field in the Twin Cities area. I also know they offer great retirement benefits, though this was not a benefit given to graduate assistants.

ConsExtremely demanding hours and no Graduate Assistant union to fight this- I worked far, far more hours than the 20-hour "limit" for graduate assistants. Other Big Ten schools offer more competitive pay (ex. Iowa) and are less demanding.

Worked first as a student worker, then was hired on as a staff member.

Principal Accounts Specialist (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe medical and leave benefits are amazing. It's hard to find a company that provides 4 weeks of vacation right off the bat. A lot of people there also have good job satisfaction and stability.

ConsLower salary (due to insane benefits). Rigid promotion process (not really merit based). Hierarchy is complex and difficult to navigate.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes infinite job security is a bad thing (especially at lower levels). Find a way to reward effectiveness, not effort.

Research Asst., Chemistry

ProsFree tuition for grad school, paid to get an advanced degree, lots of opportunities for free food. Characterization facilities are excellent.

ConsTypical issues with academia - one giant rat race for prestige, grant funding, and results. Bad management abounds.

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Minnesota reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Minnesota CEO Eric W. Kaler . All 435 reviews posted anonymously by University of Minnesota employees.