University of Minnesota Reviews

• Minneapolis, MN
4.0
University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler
Eric W. Kaler

1. I TA for the English department as a part of my graduate degree.

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I get free tuition in exchange for working as a TA. The stipend is pretty small, but enough to get by on if you get a part-time job, and I am getting paid while getting a free degree, which is awesome. The best thing about working at the U is the amazing health insurance--I've never had insurance this good and probably never will again. You will find some students who don't really want to be here, but in general the students are very passionate and eager to learn. They do give you some choice in what you want to teach as you progress in your degree. You can use the gym for (almost) free.

Cons

It's annoying that, although we get tuition remission, we still have to pay for the student fees, which are $700 every semester. I'd much prefer it if they just deducted that amount from my pay, because then I'd be in a lower tax bracket. Also, I did feel kind of unqualified to teach some of the classes I taught. They just assume all MFA students are capable of teaching most classes in the department, and I feel like it kind of shortchanges the undergrads.

Deduct the student fees from our pay instead of making us pay them! It wouldn't cost the department any more money, it would just be a bureaucratic shift that would help us.

2. My experience as a researcher in University of Minnesota, Twin Cities My experience as a researcher in University of M

Current Employee - PhD Studet in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - PhD Studet in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota

Pros

The department has elite faculty panel and fantastic students providing a rich environment for research on state of the art methodology

Cons

The weather in Minneapolis a big downside. Up to seven months of winter can be depressing at times. The weather in Minneapolis a big downside. Up to seven months of winter can be depressing at times.

Work with the Metrotransit department to improve the frequency of public buses on popular routes near the Campuses especially during winter.

3. Great school with great employment opportunities.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary is good for college student, hours can easily fit with course schedule, some positions are low-key and you can do your homework there as well.

Cons

Being a student and working even part-time can be challenging - make sure you have good time-management skills.

Keep on doing what you're doing! Great opportunities for students at the U!

5. Teaching Assistant

I have been working at University of Minnesota

Pros

Working as a TA provides the funding needed to pay my bills while obtaining a Masters degree. Relatively flexible schedule. Mostly good people willing to help out.

Cons

Grading can take up a lot of time and ultimately keep you away from your research. Little collaboration between departments. Everyone looking out for themselves.

Listen to graduate students. Find ways to collaborate with others in the department.

6. Reasonable arrangement for graduate students in mathematics.

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tuition is covered. Administration is very helpful. If you don't have your own funding, you are guaranteed a TA position with a small stipend for six years. Teaching responsibilities take about 12-15 hrs/week, leaving you with enough time for coursework and research. Flexible summers. Good community of students.

Cons

Stipend runs around 18k, does not include health insurance - difficult to live on for six years. Job prospects after graduation are always in flux. Advisers are hit-and-miss.

I think some students get lost or discouraged. Helping students to get career counseling might be helpful.

7. Junior Scientist

Current Employee - Junior Scientist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Junior Scientist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in a small laboratory allows for you to learn several different roles, and build up your resume more than in a larger company.

Cons

Salaries in academia are not rewarding enough to keep talent.

Principal Investigators need to be more competitive with Industry standards on how they treat their employees and their expectations.

8. A good place to work at various levels. Growth and opportunities exist at a institution of this size. Pay is average

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota

Pros

Good benefits and opportunities for growth and development within the institution.

Cons

Pay is not as good as with many educational institutions. Opportunities for growth are hampered by competition

Consider reasonable pay raises and internal hiring

9. Luck of the draw

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Institutional benefits are quite solid, good vacation, fair-ish salary, and campus itself is quite lovely. I've seen more departments committed to a work-life balance than in many environments

Cons

Supervisors often have little or no training and very few offices have a talent development perspective. Taking the next step in your career ladder may take 30 years or may never happen.

Provide training to middle management and department heads or create more accountability in your supervisory positions. Provide clear opportunities for advancement for non-faculty employees.

10. Under-market pay; union dues; budget cuts.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The University covers 100% of your tuition for your first undergraduate degree. The University will also cover 75% of subsequent undergraduate degree(s), or a master's degree.

Cons

Depending on the unit/department in which you are employed, you may be offered a salary well under market standards. There is no getting out of union dues for civil service or bargaining unit employees, regardless of whether you support the union contract for your classification. Due to budget cuts, even exemplary employees are subject to layoffs.

Get rid of a union that only serves to enable/protect mediocre employees. Truly reward high performing employees through merit increases. The Regent's Scholarship is only helpful for those who can afford/can get additional financial aid to cover the remaining 25% for a master's or doctorate degree, as well as the tax consequences of tuition benefits that exceed the allotted maximum.

11. Excellent coworkers, clueless administration

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work is flexible in hours as long as you get work completed. Coworkers genuinely interested in building a community.

Cons

Expect to be frustrated with incompetence in senior management. Compensation is strongly tied to seniority and not much else.

Do reviews. Actually engage in performance evaluation in a meaningful way. Depending on what division or department, there may not even be a yearly review.

University of Minnesota Photos