University of Minnesota Reviews

Reset
4.0
University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler
Eric W. Kaler

Pros
  • Good work-life balance as people could take time off (in 25 reviews)

• Great benefits - especially the Regents Scholarship (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, little room for growth up the ladder (in 11 reviews)

• Salary is on the low-end and there are not a lot of opportunities for advancement (in 6 reviews)

1. sudent

Current Employee - Student in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Student in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota

Pros

Very good environment for my specialisation - VLSI. The courses offered for backend vlsi is top class and upto industru standards here.

Cons

There is scope for little improvement. It would be great if courses like low power vlsi design industry standards physical design are added

2. Good place to work

Former Employee - Executive Director of Curriculum Administration in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits for all full-time employees.

Cons

Faculty given higher priority over staff.

3. Research Assistant

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota (Less than a year)

Pros

competitive environment and diversity culture

Cons

parking fee is too expensive

5. YMMV

Current Employee - Project Program Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Project Program Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people Good benefits Meaningful work; through our teaching, research, and outreach, we positively affect the lives of others, locally and globally. There are so many profoundly important things that University students, staff, and faculty do. I am constantly amazed and humbled by the work of my colleagues.

Cons

No opportunity for meaningful raises or compensation for exceptional performance. Salary stays stagnant unless you change jobs Some departments are run better than others Lack of respect for lower-level employees in some departments

Advice to Management

Find a way to compensate people for exceptional work while remaining within their current job. It is wasteful for a great employee who loves their job to have to move to a different job and get trained all over again just to get a raise. Check in periodically with each department to ensure it is running according to best practices, and provide REQUIRED support, training, and meaningful feedback FOR ALL EMPLOYEES so departments function as well as possible. There are huge variations in how different departments are run and some remain incredibly inefficient. Where best practices are not utilized or understood, departments often don't take advantage of voluntary resources available to improve, since they are not required to do so, and do not place a priority on it. RECOGNIZE AND VALUE EMPLOYEES WHO GO ABOVE AND BEYOND, no matter what job level they are in.

6. Student positions

Current Employee - Student Library Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Student Library Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are flexible and it is an easy commute for students.

Cons

The pay is awful, raises are hard to come by even with promotions, and sometimes the full time workers take advantage of the students.

7. Research Environment is good

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota part-time

Pros

University of Minnesota, TC has a convenient location at Minneapolis. The campus looks nice and clean. And people are very friendly and helpful. The alumni network is very helpful as well.

Cons

Although the university has an excellent reputation in Minnesota, it is not that effective to find a job out of the state. Relatively expensive compared to other mid west universities.

Advice to Management

Personnel and payroll office has a very inconvenient location. It used to have an office in the east bank but now only available at west bank. Please bring it back.

Director

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, compassionate and gifted Colleagues

Cons

Burden of upper level administration, level of politics, no decisions are made and lack of progress. Faculty driven decision making, who are rarely involved in how things actually operate or function

Advice to Management

Do not make decisions in a silo, listen to the people on the ground doing the work. Stop over burdening your workforce with layers of policies and procedures to make anything get done.

9. Great student jobs, could do with more advanced positions

Former Employee - Technology Help Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Technology Help Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for the Information Technology department of the UMN as a Technology Help Specialist. I liked the job a lot and the pay was fair. There were also plenty of hours available and most of my coworkers were great to work with.

Cons

Need more student IT jobs that deal with software development and coding. Computer Science jobs on campus are hard to find and most UMN positions dealing with more complex stuff are full-time only.

Advice to Management

Open up more jobs to students, we all need the career experience and I'm sure you'd keep more people studying Comp Sci or Comp Eng to stay at OIT if you did.

Executive Office & Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Land grant institution with an emphasis on research. Beautiful Twin Cities campus with ongoing capital projects.

Cons

Difficult to advance from administrative to professional or managerial opportunities. Tendency to hire from the outside for those positions rather than to promote from within. The culture is quite cliquey, and passive/aggressive.

Advice to Management

Streamline the mid-to-upper management bloat. There are administrators and directors who got their positions through political favoritism rather than based on merit or competency.

11. U of M student jobs

Former Employee - Library Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Library Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, flexible, i really enjoyed it for a first job

Cons

Low pay for student jobs

RSS Feed </> Embed