University of Minnesota

University of Minnesota Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler

Eric W. Kaler

Pros:
  • "good work life balance, intense collaboration between different research groups"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Great benefits and a stimulating place to work"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not as much opportunities for advancement"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Low pay for the amount of education (but hey, it's academia, what's new)"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great opportunities for graduate students

Graduate Instructor (Current Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota part-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent opportunity for teaching and learning. Great opportunities for multidisciplinary collaboration. Strong community and industry engagement. Great urban location for art and culture.

ConsBalancing a family with teaching and full time coursework can be challenging. It was tough finishing in 3 years.

ok job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Minnesota

Prosgood to get some financial help with grad school
teaching can be fun and satisfying with the right students
getting experience if you're planning to go into teaching afterward

Conssometimes feels like a waste of time
not very motivated students for intro classes, which make the job tiresome
if you really care about being a great ta, it can be a huge timesuck for the amount of compensation

Undergraduate TEaching ASsistant

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat to work here part-time for undergrad

ConsNot many opportunities for international students

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was very rewarding

Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople are good to work, everybody carried there own weight, The customers were great. Wonderful pay and benefits.

ConsHours were a bit tough, Commute was very long, upper management wasn't the best I have worked with.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to treat your employee's with respect and not expect a person to do 4 different jobs in one day. Also you may consider hiring more help.

Easy Work

Study Monitor (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Minnesota part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to get my homework done and get paid for doing it!
They do a great job of working with your class schedule and allowing you to pick your own hours and the number of hours you want to work per week. They take seniority into consideration when putting together the schedule. Getting your shift covered is typically pretty easy since other students are always looking for more hours to get paid.

ConsTypical student pay.
Having to deal with student athlete problems/drama/attitude isn't always fun.
You're pretty chained to your desk and they don't schedule in breaks or someone to cover your desk even if you've been working for more than 6 hours.
As the years have gone by shifts have shortened so that more students can be employed- I guess that is a pro and con.

Good but not great.

Reference Librarian (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Minnesota part-time for more than 5 years

ProsA good place to work with smart people and decent benefits.

ConsA bit heavy on the burecracy, not the best facilities.

The College is Key

Writer (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota full-time for more than a year

ProsThe University of Minnesota can be a great, energizing place to work, but a lot depends on the particular college you land in—some are better organized (and better funded) than others. But on the whole, the benefits are solid (particularly retirement benefits), most coursework is paid for, if it relates to your job, and I rarely, if ever, took work home with me.

ConsAs in most large organizations, there's a lot of byzantine bureaucracy that you have to work your way through if you want to get anything significant done. There's also a bit of a "us/them" wall between staff and the professors (again, this differs between colleges). Finally, opportunities for advancement aren't always readily evident or available. There tends to be a fair amount of hopping between colleges and departments to circumvent this.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify! Simplify paperwork, simplify career advancement steps, and simplify annual reviews.

Good benefits, good colleagues, very large (for better and worse)

Mid-level Administration (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLike with other higher education settings, the biggest draw to me is the opportunity to work with like-minded colleagues and engaging students. People here are intelligent, generally liberal, and in most cases - not completely money-driven (if that is your style). The regents scholarship for reduced tuition for graduate degrees is a nice perk. The twin cities is a nice urban setting for a flagship state institution - most are in smaller college towns.

ConsThe politics are a bit more frustrating than at smaller institutions where I've worked. There is more pressure to yield to administrators and faculty based on title and "importance," which can be frustrating. The size of the school can be good or bad. Employment in smaller colleges or sub-units can be rewarding. Offices or departments that serve the entire institution can be a lot of work and not a lot of repeated interactions and relationship-building given the enormous student population. Pay is not competitive with corporate or business positions requiring similar education/skills, but that should not be a surprise and higher education is not the place for you if salary is the top/primary factor in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a few staff and faculty who have been here forever, and through union/tenure/loopholes, have basically become untouchable while poisoning the well with apathy, disengagement, and negative attitudes. The number of these individuals is not huge, but they have a significant negative impact on student and employee satisfaction. Looking the other way is not the way to go.

Good place

Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota part-time for less than a year

Prosa lot of chances here, you can make fun of yourself by several ways. very friendly freedom and enjoyable environment. Because it is a university, so all depends on you.

Consthe road is bad condition somewhere and many place is been maintained, it is a lot of noise at certain area. Also, the service depends on where you are.

Advice to Senior Managementno

Great people to work with, but administration can be lost at times.

Instructor (Current Employee)
Duluth, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a supportive community of faculty to help with anything.

ConsAdministration does little to tell you how you are doing. They are primarily concerned with the budget, not their faculty. Now this can be good when you want to be left on your own, but at times it would be nice to know if you have job security or not.

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Minnesota reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Minnesota CEO Eric W. Kaler . All 390 reviews posted anonymously by University of Minnesota employees.