www.umn.edu

Updated September 12, 2014
4.1

University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler
Eric W. Kaler

Pros
  • The Director provides wonderful leadership and a there is a good work life balance in the office (in 19 reviews)

• Employees have access to great benefits and are generally well compensated (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Not as much opportunities for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay for the amount of education (but hey, it's academia, what's new) (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong research university, but need more quality control for teaching

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offered courses assisting international students with their language and teaching skills. It helped get me prepared for the job. I also enjoyed lots of autonomy while leading recitation session or teaching a course.

Cons

With more enrollment, the workloads increases a lot, but the salary stayed almost the same. There were few measures to ensure the quality of teaching. I once substituted for a professor, and a student came up, saying that it was the only class in which she got something, and what I did was only explaining all the necessary concepts and demonstrating the examples in the book.

Worked in a research facility doing manufacturing and job met typical expectations.

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very flexible in scheduling.
    Can work small hours if a student and then get more on weekends if desired.

Cons

Movement as a student worker is minimal.
    Some things occur slowly because of all of the procedures that need to be performed.

Make sure to promote based on chance of a persons success in that position, not just experience.

Good support system

Current Employee - Community Advisor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Community Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very customer oriented. Large focus on employee well being and development. Constantly working to improve quality of the service they provide.

Cons

Some disconnect between central department and individual building staffs. Policy changes happen somewhat frequently. Compensation unequal depending on building you work in.

Need to find a way to equalize compensation between buildings for CAs. Individuals who must deal with the issues of old buildings should not be less compensated (with a lesser value room) than individuals who work in newer buildings.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Current Employee - Career Counselor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Career Counselor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Well established organization focused on people's development.

Cons

It's very big and one can get lost in the shuffle.

Help employees navigate they way for development.

Comfortable work environment, good leadership.

Current Employee - Community Program Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Community Program Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Job security, time off, flexible work environment, great health care plans. And tuition benefits.

Cons

In many positions, promotion opportunities are few and far between, especially without obtaining an additional advanced degree. This is typical for academia.

Office culture is lacking, unexciting, unmotivating.

Fantastic environment for research

Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota part-time

Pros

If you do research for a professor at the University of Minnesota, you will benefit from the knowledge and experience of excellent, leading researchers in their fields. Positives include access to neat labs and equipment and plentiful opportunities for personal growth, learning, and development. Of course, work schedules are tailored around classes, which is also hugely helpful for busy students.

Cons

Some of the lab equipment is aged. Other than that, no 'cons' I can think of!

Lacking leadership

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at University of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefits, flexible schedule, large organization, advancement opportunities.

Cons

lack of guidance and vision from management. Funding is hard to obtain.

there are some great training programs within the university to develop managment and leadership skills, however, my supervisor never mentioned them to me. I would have liked to have had more encouragement to take these development courses during my time here.

A good place to work. Great teams. University is supportive of employees and students.

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work culture. Inter disciplinary support is great. Plenty of learning opportunities and amenities. University supports the employees with tuition fees.

Cons

Growth depends on your supervisor. No particular support on the employees career growth along with the groups growth. Knowledge workers are under rated and under paid like in many universities.

Laid back atmosphere, great experience

Current Employee - Community Program Specialist  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Community Program Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a research coordinator, I had a lot of flexibility in my position. I enjoyed the atmosphere, which was laid-back, yet intellectually stimulating. I was able to gain great experience in this position and was given a lot of independence and responsibility.

The benefits are great.

Cons

Salary is on the low-end and there are not a lot of opportunities for advancement.

Upper management should continue to be flexible with their employees because it is one of the perks of the position.

Low salary, great benefits

Current Employee - Research Fellow  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Research Fellow in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed and supportive work environment. Individual thought allowed. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Salaries are not very competitive.

University of Minnesota Photos

Walter Library
A view of Coffman Memorial Union
Winter

+ Add Photo

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!