University of Missouri Hospital
www.muhealth.org Columbia , MO

University of Missouri Hospital Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014
University of Missouri Hospital – Columbia – “University Hospital”

Good docs, but upper management was too political

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Missouri Hospital full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat docs, good benefits and nice work environment.

ConsToo much wrangling to perform such basic and important job functions. Ridiculous the egos of management you had to deal with.

Too many people not willing to make tough decisions.

Mechanical Plant Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Missouri Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe benefits are pretty good as far as health coverage, sick and vacation leave. They have an employee tuition reimbursement program that is pretty great.

ConsManagement is a culture that is unwilling to accept change. They do not want to make important decisions about much of anything. Getting a straight answer from management is harder than getting one from a politician running for office.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk your employees what they would change and then listen. It is not enough to just nod your head and stare blankly at them, or what happens most of the time, not ask at all.

This is a great employer in a great town.

Patient Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Missouri Hospital part-time for more than a year

ProsEnjoyed working with a great staff and great patients.

ConsFacilities, compensation, disconnect with Management and those "on the floor"

It all about sports and saving a buck

Nurse (Current Employee)
Columbia, MO

I have been working at University of Missouri Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can earn a paycheck rather than living as a homeless person. You can say that you work at MIZZOU and people who have never worked there think that it is great! But you know that by working there you are letting yourself and your professional integrity down and you are working for a medical institution that cares nothing for its patients and everything for its "tiger image".

ConsThere is no chance for further education about anyhing but the mandatory things like fire safety, etc. You will never get to go to a conference unless you pay your way yourself and are willing to use your own vacation time and can get it approved. Once you sign on for a position you stay there regardless if there is a more appropriate job for you that you would truly excel at. They work by fear tactics --- if you don't follow the exact directions of administration you can lose your job. Worst of all it is NOT all about the patient. It is about the almighty dollar and how to keep it at MIZZOU.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so selfish, caring only about football and start having some integrity if you know the meaning of the word. You may spout the culture of Yes but all you know is the culture of greed. Just know that you are serving no one but yourselves and everyone knows who and what you are.

Thrown under bus by nurse manager, instead of taught the correct way.

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Missouri Hospital full-time for more than a year

ProsThis job taught me what I do not want when looking ahead at other jobs. I realized that living in a state with mandated nurse-patient ratios is key to not being overworked and put into an unsafe work environment.

ConsPay is awful, management does not look out for your best interest, staffing is horrible, no nurse tech help, long hours with no guaranteed breaks, do not teach as much as they should given that this is a teaching hospital. Unsupportive of their new staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your new nurses, do not throw them under the bus for minor mistakes

Working with the University Hospital was challenging.

Patient Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Missouri Hospital full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company offers great employee benefits including a 457 and 401K matching after you are vested. Coming into my position as a PSR (Patient Service Representative) , I was given classroom and a lot of hands-on training and development. While working for the company I gained a lot of experience in guest relations and technical support. My team had varied levels of education and outside work experiences, allowing for a lot of diversity and skills. My team supported my growth and encouraged me. The care was highly patient oriented and focused around the “culture of yes.” The University Hospital is a great place to be a patient but terrible to be an employee.

ConsI was hesitant from hearing a lot of negative feedback regarding management and disciplinary action taken against hard working employees. My specific clinic had a lot of trouble keeping employees because of poor employee supervision on the part of the current coordinator. While she wa highly knowledgeable of her role, she would constantly harass her employees with degrading emails even causing team members to cry at work in front of patients. After speaking to HR, they would not allow me to switch positions and actually stood behind my supervisor’s harassment of her employees. In that moment I lost all respect for the University Hospital, but I have hopes that the healthcare system will better develop their coordinators in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe University Hospital is a great place to be a patient but terrible to be an employee. Develop and invest in your employees, especially those who have been there numerous years. Encourage your employees to share new ideas and be rewarded for their hard work. If you invested half as much energy in your employees as you do in your patients, you would have an outstanding organization and be able to accomplish so much more.

Good Hospital to Work For

Nurse Tech (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Missouri Hospital part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexibility in scheduling, friendly coworkers, shift differential

ConsTerrible pay, some rooms still semi-private

This was a great experience for me as a new grad with excellent management in the diagnostic imaging department.

Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Missouri Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWide variety of experience, great management in the diagnostic imaging department.

ConsLack of ownership with many of the attending physicians when it came to mentoring the resident physicians.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiagnostic Imaging Management: your willingness to be the first on the front lines was admirable.

It's great working here.

Pharmacy Tech (Current Employee)
Columbia, MO

I have been working at University of Missouri Hospital part-time for less than a year

ProsFeel like family working here. I want to work here again.

ConsIt can be really busy sometimes which bring you in a fast-paced environment.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up good work.

An Over-All Good Place to Work; No Real Opportunity for Growth

Receptionist (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Missouri Hospital

ProsThe benefits are great: Health care, vacation/sick/personal time are outstanding
The people are decent

ConsFor the time being, there is no real opportunity for professional growth.
Minimal raises given rarely

Advice to Senior ManagementYour system does not work. Employees are dissatisfied and deserve more money and recognition. Incentives with reasonable expectations would help. You can't give your employees nothing and expect everything.

Worked for University of Missouri Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Missouri Hospital reviews and ratings. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by University of Missouri Hospital employees.