University of Missouri St Louis

University of Missouri St Louis Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

This is a great company to work for.

Desk Assistant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsVery flexible with my day to day life.

ConsThere are not enough hours to be worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Great Benefits!

ProsBenefits- Tuition reduction, medical/dental, pension plan

ConsPolitical Atmosphere; below market salaries for Lecturers

Administrative Assistant

ProsFlexibility working in college/university setting

ConsSmaller office are hard to move up in.
    Politics

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in employees just as much as you do outside the university.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love the staff and students at UMSL

ProsHelpful colleagues, pleasant work environment

ConsI'm an adjunct, so the cons are those which pertain to the national conversation about adjunct/contingent faculty in higher ed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider reviewing adjunct work policies and pay. Taking part in the national conversation on this topic would be appreciated by the adjuncts, many of whom are graduates of the program.

Work Study Position

ProsPlenty of time to do homework, and schedules can be flexible. Unlimited access to a working computer with WiFi is always a perk.

ConsSevere lack of communication from management, student workers are not valued since they know you can no longer work upon graduation. The jobs are largely what you make of it and hoping you get along with co-workers.

Up and coming!

Coach (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood people and a new marketing campaign that will help the University shed it's reputation of being a commuter school.

ConsLots of Silo's - working independently and moving money from bucket to bucket around the organization. 5 years to vest in the "pension"

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the marketing and try to bring the university together under a singular or common goal. Try to get rid of the everybody for themselves attitude. Also, reach out to the local school district. It is a shame to have the Normandy school district failing next to the regions largest university.

Pleasant and fruitful. The software team is brilliant and everybody is willing to help out.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsSmall team therefore you'll get lots of opportunities to work on different technologies, management and project supervisors are very generous and helpful. Awesome working environment

ConsNo cons except there is repetitive work

Good place to work for some one need work and life blance

Researcher (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosfriendly people, close relation ship, easy to access facilities

Conslimited recources or funds available, power outage

Decent benefits, poor pay.

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe health insurance and prescription coverage are actually pretty good compared to other universities in the area. Also, employees get a decent amount of paid time off, including one sick day a month, four personal days a year, and up to 22 vacation days (in addition to observed holidays.)

ConsThere are three major cons:
    1. There are always budget cuts. This creates a very, very stressful work environment, and when layoffs occur, increases workload for remaining staff members. UMSL is perpetually understaffed.
    2. Pay raises are minimal. In my time at UMSL, the largest annual increase I received was 4%. Several years in a row, there were no increases whatsoever.
    3. Upward mobility is very difficult for staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more opportunities for upward mobility for staff members, and do more (i.e., pay more) to keep the experienced staff you have from taking better-paying jobs at other universities.

Decent

Student Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsWas there for three years. The staff is incredibly hit or miss. The people I worked with in my second department were high quality, and a pleasure to work with.

ConsThe people I worked with in my first department, however, were not. The offices had about the same level of traffic, but the first one had involved front desk clerks that were unbelievably rude, advisors that would trash the students after they left the office, and overall a sense of apathy hung in the air.

Worked for University of Missouri St Louis? Contribute to the Community!