University of Nebraska

University of Nebraska Reviews in Nebraska

Updated May 28, 2014

University of Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman

Harvey Perlman

Pros
  • The people are great and they work very hard to keep the laid back culture that helps people thrive here(in 5 reviews)

• Flexible hours, looks good on a resume, great co-workers and direct supervisors(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little opportunity for advancement,(in 3 reviews)

• But it's unusual because you gain great academic experience while getting paid(in 3 reviews)

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to grow as a young professional

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsExcellent faculty, staff, and academic programs. Many opportunities are provided for research and professional development.

ConsThey need to improve their efforts to recruit, hire, and retain people of color.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is important to know what is going on with the students so that programming and curricula can be applicable to their needs.

Nice folks, dead end job

Anonymous (Former Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsLack of pressure meant you could focus more on personal goals

ConsOthers abused the freedom the position offered which led to frustration and poor morale

Advice to Senior ManagementHold people accountable

I worked as a researcher for 6 years at UNL and had a great experience. All staff are very helpful and welcoming.

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Lincoln, NE

Pros-Well-connected and collegial atmosphere - both within your department an outside.
    -Cost of living for Lincoln makes for healthier savings.
    -Everyone puts in top quality effort at their jobs.

Cons-Chances of finding industry jobs at Lincoln is low for some fields.
    -Parking on campus is tight if you don't have a commuter pass

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student Researcher

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsHours were flexible, and I worked with wonderful staff to complete my job. I learned a lot and built great relationships with faculty. Doing real research as an undergraduate is a unique opportunity that not all students receive, and if utilized properly, can be used to help get future jobs, even in other fields, which this job helped me with.

ConsPay was not incentivized. Working on crunched deadlines on more intricate projects wasn't more highly compensated for successful completion than run of the mill tasks like might be in a corporation, but this was a minimal complaint.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. I was very happy there.

Great at what they do -- being a university press

Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsWorking with a great group of professionals and many great authors. Great benefits. Nebraska Press has a wonderful reputation in the industry. The organization uses its resources very well.

ConsUnless you are a UNL graduate you can feel a little isolated. Very limited opportunities to move up. Pay is barely liveable.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees should not be so insular. As a non-UNL grad I felt like the outsider, which is not a great way to cultivate talent. I felt that I could have contributed much more but my voice was seldom heard.

I had great experience in drug discovery while I working here.

Research Associate (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGreat work environment and easy to collaborate with people.

ConsNew year holidays are so short

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

I have really enjoyed working here!!

Custodian (Current Employee) Kearney, NE

ProsIt is a low stress job. The medical coverage is great and you get a lot of time off. The benefits are great and for the most part the people are wonderful and caring.

ConsYou have to clean nastiness sometimes but that is kind of what the job of a custodian is so it isn't that big of a deal. Typical University politics and change takes time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within instead of always bringing in someone from outside.

This company is regularly abusive, petty, and entrenched in mediocrity.

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsThey offer more money to graduate students than a lot of universities.

ConsThe location is not great for those going into the arts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrade inflation requirements for graduate students to get a B- are not helpful. Abusive practices in the areas of assignment scheduling and grading are common. Top talent is attracted by the money but leaves quickly when confronted by the current staff.

Web Developer

Web Developer (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsBest opportunity for a student to learn technologies before getting into a real job.
    Well paid. Flexible Work Hours.

ConsNothing in particular. This is a decent work place. I have no complaints. I like it very much.

Research

Histology Technician (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsGreat benefits, laid back atmosphere

ConsNot enough to keep busy

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication, challenges

Worked for University of Nebraska? Contribute to the Community!