University of Nevada Las Vegas

Updated January 19, 2015
3.5

University of Nevada Las Vegas Acting President Donald D. Snyder
Donald D. Snyder

Pros
  • Unlv offers some great benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Very laid-back (minimum "presentable" dress-code), Employee-Matched Retirement, Abundant Sick and Annual Leave, Great coworkers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget cuts have eroded benefits such as health insurance (in 4 reviews)

• Low salary and benefits aren't that great considering the skyrocketing price of mandatory health insurance (thanks Obama) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

tutor

Current Employee - Tutor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Tutor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas

Pros

this is an awesome complany

Cons

sometimes not all the time bad form some

good or bad

Software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked as intern and it was a great experience cause you are at the core of the new technology and work with professor so you will learn a lot. The hours are really flexible and you are all the pros of the students.

Cons

The salary can be a cons for some people because you won't earn what you can earn in a big company. But it's still good beause the cost of life in Las Vegas is cheap. The other thing to keep in my is you won't have a lot of career opportunities unless you do a PhD and become professor.

Great Campus, Great Benefits, Great People. But if you want to challenge yourself and continuously learn, go elsewhere

Current Employee - Software Developer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cons

No room for growth/advancement, Mandatory Furlough Days, Salary Base Cut, Dealing with students in several capacities (Parking, immaturity, massive crowds)

My experience at unlv has been pretty nice.

Current Employee - Student Resnet Technician in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Student Resnet Technician in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They're really flexible with the work schedule, as a student Ist and an employee second. They are very understanding of circumstancial issues, and the supervisors are fun/friendly/ but it is a job. Great first job.

Cons

I can't say I have one.

Can't think of any, hm maybe more emphasis on community events and incorporating that into the work force to lighten thinthings up

Okay place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus. Events held for employees, and special offers to them as well.

Cons

Some staff members have little initiative to assist, either others within the UNLV community or the general public. There are a few that do the bare minimum to get by, and don't try to mask it. Also: communication between departments is not very good at all. Parking. Paid once a month. Benefits aren't that great either.

Encourage a culture of "internal service." Work to improve communication between departments.

Teaching Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work with young, talented people. Everyone is nice and smart.

Cons

Two many homework to grade and do not have time to study at the end of the semester

increase salary

Excellent people and opportunities at an institution going places.

Former Employee - Librarian in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Librarian in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There were many exciting things going on at UNLV at all levels of the organization. Most faculty and staff were highly committed to improving student learning and experience. The climate around campus was generally very positive. If you like to go to work each morning with the expectation of making an impact, this is a good place for you!

Cons

Really the only difficult thing about working at UNLV was that it was subject to budget fluctuations due to the state's funding process. There was a general sense of nervousness whenever the state budget came up for review.

Keep it up, things were great!

My experience as an undergraduate research assistant was a positive experience.

Current Employee - Undergraduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had the chance to utilize what I have learned in my engineering courses and apply them to a realistic project.

Cons

The only problems I had were accessing the laboratory equipment. I had to wait until someone was available to open the lab.

Beneficial experience

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation package (especially for non-Nevada residents who get out-of-state fees waived), academic environment with increasing focus on research, leadership (depending on department and professors), personal and professional growth, ability to balance work and school, closer relationships with faculty, flexible schedule

Cons

Did not have a personal office (6-8 graduate assistants in computer lab style room), may have to work varying hours (nights, weekends) depending on project deadlines

Increase research throughout the university and continue to give students experience with research based projects

Admissions Counselor

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with prospective students, great co-workers, helping students get into college, travelling, tuition benefits if you want to go back to school

Cons

National university still operating like a regional college, policies changing all the time, professional furlough in place until further notice

University of Nevada Las Vegas Photos