University of Nevada Las Vegas

Updated October 17, 2014
3.3

University of Nevada Las Vegas Acting President Donald D. Snyder
Donald D. Snyder

Pros
  • Unlv offers some great benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Great school, smart and talented people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget cuts have eroded benefits such as health insurance (in 4 reviews)

• Low salary and benefits aren't that great considering the skyrocketing price of mandatory health insurance (thanks Obama) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Teaching Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work with young, talented people. Everyone is nice and smart.

Cons

Two many homework to grade and do not have time to study at the end of the semester

increase salary

Okay place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus. Events held for employees, and special offers to them as well.

Cons

Some staff members have little initiative to assist, either others within the UNLV community or the general public. There are a few that do the bare minimum to get by, and don't try to mask it. Also: communication between departments is not very good at all. Parking. Paid once a month. Benefits aren't that great either.

Encourage a culture of "internal service." Work to improve communication between departments.

Excellent people and opportunities at an institution going places.

Former Employee - Librarian in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Librarian in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were many exciting things going on at UNLV at all levels of the organization. Most faculty and staff were highly committed to improving student learning and experience. The climate around campus was generally very positive. If you like to go to work each morning with the expectation of making an impact, this is a good place for you!

Cons

Really the only difficult thing about working at UNLV was that it was subject to budget fluctuations due to the state's funding process. There was a general sense of nervousness whenever the state budget came up for review.

Keep it up, things were great!

My experience as an undergraduate research assistant was a positive experience.

Current Employee - Undergraduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had the chance to utilize what I have learned in my engineering courses and apply them to a realistic project.

Cons

The only problems I had were accessing the laboratory equipment. I had to wait until someone was available to open the lab.

Beneficial experience

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation package (especially for non-Nevada residents who get out-of-state fees waived), academic environment with increasing focus on research, leadership (depending on department and professors), personal and professional growth, ability to balance work and school, closer relationships with faculty, flexible schedule

Cons

Did not have a personal office (6-8 graduate assistants in computer lab style room), may have to work varying hours (nights, weekends) depending on project deadlines

Increase research throughout the university and continue to give students experience with research based projects

Admissions Counselor

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with prospective students, great co-workers, helping students get into college, travelling, tuition benefits if you want to go back to school

Cons

National university still operating like a regional college, policies changing all the time, professional furlough in place until further notice

THE PURCHASING DEPT IS A MESS!!

Former Employee - Purchasing in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits. UNLV is centrally located in the Valley.

Cons

The management team (Director and Asst. Director) sorely lack people and management skills. UNLV needs to investigate why this dept has so much turnover - and the investigation will point to the current management - which is sooooo BAD; VERY, VERY BAD!! I will NEVER recommend anyone to work in the UNLV's Purchasing dept.

Change the current management of the Purchasing/Contracts Dept. and make sure that the college interns actually work and do the simple tasks they are assigned to do. It seems that the interns come at will, NEVER FILE and if they do it's wrong due to most of the interns cannot alphabetize simple names (our future leaders) "Stupid is as stupid does."

Tough place to work

Current Employee - Professor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Professor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary. Assistant professors face tough standards, but are provided the time to pursue research interests.

Cons

Extremely political. Managment style can be dismissive and confrontational. A negative spin is put on almost any accomplishment. Deans and management concentrate on monitoring faculty, rather than providing the resources required to be successful.

Allow departments to manage themselves. The focus should be on providing faculty with the resources required to be successful.

Interesting but also disappointing

Former Employee - Office Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free tuition, I was able to almost complete my MBA with hardly any out of pocket expense. Chill work environment, casual dress code

Cons

Budget cuts, budget cuts, budget cuts. Did not receive a raise for the 5 years I worked there do to the state budget situation.

Try to find other ways to reward employees if it is not possible financially.

GA UNLV

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

They work on your classes schedule, pay for your classes, and work par-time during summer and full time in winter

Cons

it Highly depends with which professor your working with.

University of Nevada Las Vegas Photos