University of Nevada Las Vegas

Beneficial experience

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation package (especially for non-Nevada residents who get out-of-state fees waived), academic environment with increasing focus on research, leadership (depending on department and professors), personal and professional growth, ability to balance work and school, closer relationships with faculty, flexible schedule

Cons

Did not have a personal office (6-8 graduate assistants in computer lab style room), may have to work varying hours (nights, weekends) depending on project deadlines

Increase research throughout the university and continue to give students experience with research based projects

Admissions Counselor

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with prospective students, great co-workers, helping students get into college, travelling, tuition benefits if you want to go back to school

Cons

National university still operating like a regional college, policies changing all the time, professional furlough in place until further notice

THE PURCHASING DEPT IS A MESS!!

Former Employee - Purchasing  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits. UNLV is centrally located in the Valley.

Cons

The management team (Director and Asst. Director) sorely lack people and management skills. UNLV needs to investigate why this dept has so much turnover - and the investigation will point to the current management - which is sooooo BAD; VERY, VERY BAD!! I will NEVER recommend anyone to work in the UNLV's Purchasing dept.

Change the current management of the Purchasing/Contracts Dept. and make sure that the college interns actually work and do the simple tasks they are assigned to do. It seems that the interns come at will, NEVER FILE and if they do it's wrong due to most of the interns cannot alphabetize simple names (our future leaders) "Stupid is as stupid does."

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough place to work

Current Employee - Professor  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Professor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent salary. Assistant professors face tough standards, but are provided the time to pursue research interests.

Cons

Extremely political. Managment style can be dismissive and confrontational. A negative spin is put on almost any accomplishment. Deans and management concentrate on monitoring faculty, rather than providing the resources required to be successful.

Allow departments to manage themselves. The focus should be on providing faculty with the resources required to be successful.

Interesting but also disappointing

Former Employee - Office Supervisor  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free tuition, I was able to almost complete my MBA with hardly any out of pocket expense. Chill work environment, casual dress code

Cons

Budget cuts, budget cuts, budget cuts. Did not receive a raise for the 5 years I worked there do to the state budget situation.

Try to find other ways to reward employees if it is not possible financially.

GA UNLV

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time for more than a year

Pros

They work on your classes schedule, pay for your classes, and work par-time during summer and full time in winter

Cons

it Highly depends with which professor your working with.

Good place to start a career.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great school, smart and talented people. College atmosphere is inspiring. Open door policy. Good health insurance.

Cons

Lack of access to career advice. Not many opportunities for advancement. Funding can be an issue.

Great learning and working experience

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great faculty to learn from
    - good working environment
    - great supportive staff and colleagues

Cons

- the infrastructure esp. for the engineering and science section can be improved than its current state

IT Technician

Former Employee - IT Technician  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - IT Technician in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a very friendly environment to work in. I had a lot of freedom in deciding how to solve specific or unusual problems and my supervisor has always been very helpful and encouraging. Also, if you are a student, they are very lenient on your schedule and working around your classes. I recommend working here.

Cons

I got paid lower than a standard IT technician due to being a student but the pros more than make up for the cons, especially the flexibility of schedule for students.

Graduate Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, lots of teaching opportunities. I have been here a while and have learned there are opportunities if you seek them out.

Cons

Low salary and benefits aren't that great considering the skyrocketing price of mandatory health insurance (thanks Obama). Getting involved with research and teaching opportunities requires a lot of asking around.

Worked for University of Nevada Las Vegas? Contribute to the Community!