University of Nevada Las Vegas

Updated January 19, 2015
3.5

University of Nevada Las Vegas Acting President Donald D. Snyder
Donald D. Snyder

Pros
  • Unlv offers some great benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Very laid-back (minimum "presentable" dress-code), Employee-Matched Retirement, Abundant Sick and Annual Leave, Great coworkers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget cuts have eroded benefits such as health insurance (in 4 reviews)

• Low salary and benefits aren't that great considering the skyrocketing price of mandatory health insurance (thanks Obama) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

THE PURCHASING DEPT IS A MESS!!

Former Employee - Purchasing in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. UNLV is centrally located in the Valley.

Cons

The management team (Director and Asst. Director) sorely lack people and management skills. UNLV needs to investigate why this dept has so much turnover - and the investigation will point to the current management - which is sooooo BAD; VERY, VERY BAD!! I will NEVER recommend anyone to work in the UNLV's Purchasing dept.

Change the current management of the Purchasing/Contracts Dept. and make sure that the college interns actually work and do the simple tasks they are assigned to do. It seems that the interns come at will, NEVER FILE and if they do it's wrong due to most of the interns cannot alphabetize simple names (our future leaders) "Stupid is as stupid does."

Interesting but also disappointing

Former Employee - Office Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free tuition, I was able to almost complete my MBA with hardly any out of pocket expense. Chill work environment, casual dress code

Cons

Budget cuts, budget cuts, budget cuts. Did not receive a raise for the 5 years I worked there do to the state budget situation.

Try to find other ways to reward employees if it is not possible financially.

Tough place to work

Current Employee - Professor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Professor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary. Assistant professors face tough standards, but are provided the time to pursue research interests.

Cons

Extremely political. Managment style can be dismissive and confrontational. A negative spin is put on almost any accomplishment. Deans and management concentrate on monitoring faculty, rather than providing the resources required to be successful.

Allow departments to manage themselves. The focus should be on providing faculty with the resources required to be successful.

GA UNLV

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They work on your classes schedule, pay for your classes, and work par-time during summer and full time in winter

Cons

it Highly depends with which professor your working with.

Good place to start a career.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great school, smart and talented people. College atmosphere is inspiring. Open door policy. Good health insurance.

Cons

Lack of access to career advice. Not many opportunities for advancement. Funding can be an issue.

Great learning and working experience

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- great faculty to learn from
    - good working environment
    - great supportive staff and colleagues

Cons

- the infrastructure esp. for the engineering and science section can be improved than its current state

Graduate Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, lots of teaching opportunities. I have been here a while and have learned there are opportunities if you seek them out.

Cons

Low salary and benefits aren't that great considering the skyrocketing price of mandatory health insurance (thanks Obama). Getting involved with research and teaching opportunities requires a lot of asking around.

IT Technician

Former Employee - IT Technician in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - IT Technician in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a very friendly environment to work in. I had a lot of freedom in deciding how to solve specific or unusual problems and my supervisor has always been very helpful and encouraging. Also, if you are a student, they are very lenient on your schedule and working around your classes. I recommend working here.

Cons

I got paid lower than a standard IT technician due to being a student but the pros more than make up for the cons, especially the flexibility of schedule for students.

GA at UNLV

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Great experience, opportunities of learning more. Out of state tuition waived. No commuting - working at the same location where I'm taking the classes, 20hr a week,

Cons

Irregular schedule, sometimes overtime. Running errands when needed, not jus academic work. The rest is pretty good, no complains.

Extremely politicized. You never know which end is up. Everyone keeps his or her head down in fear so as not to get ta

Former Employee - Department Head in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Department Head in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Living in the desert. Food in the city of Las Vegas.

Cons

Very dangerous. Officials engage in vicious behavior to protect their extraordinarily high salaries.

Pretty good.