University of Nevada Las Vegas

Updated September 10, 2014
3.3

University of Nevada Las Vegas Acting President Donald D. Snyder
Donald D. Snyder

Excellent people and opportunities at an institution going places.

Former Employee - Librarian  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Librarian in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were many exciting things going on at UNLV at all levels of the organization. Most faculty and staff were highly committed to improving student learning and experience. The climate around campus was generally very positive. If you like to go to work each morning with the expectation of making an impact, this is a good place for you!

Cons

Really the only difficult thing about working at UNLV was that it was subject to budget fluctuations due to the state's funding process. There was a general sense of nervousness whenever the state budget came up for review.

Keep it up, things were great!

My experience as an undergraduate research assistant was a positive experience.

Current Employee - Undergraduate Assistant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time for more than a year

Pros

I had the chance to utilize what I have learned in my engineering courses and apply them to a realistic project.

Cons

The only problems I had were accessing the laboratory equipment. I had to wait until someone was available to open the lab.

Mafia

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice weather, Vegas style attitude

Cons

Prides themselves as a "research university" however they do little research, and what is done is NOT supported by the university. The university management is more mafia than managers, in that they eat their young and have little interest in doing things right, just doing things to make money. Academic standards be damned!

revolt

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beneficial experience

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas part-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation package (especially for non-Nevada residents who get out-of-state fees waived), academic environment with increasing focus on research, leadership (depending on department and professors), personal and professional growth, ability to balance work and school, closer relationships with faculty, flexible schedule

Cons

Did not have a personal office (6-8 graduate assistants in computer lab style room), may have to work varying hours (nights, weekends) depending on project deadlines

Increase research throughout the university and continue to give students experience with research based projects

UNLV - research assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas

Pros

Steady pay. Allowed to work independently.

Cons

Some follow through is lacking. Especially on long research projects.

Admissions Counselor

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with prospective students, great co-workers, helping students get into college, travelling, tuition benefits if you want to go back to school

Cons

National university still operating like a regional college, policies changing all the time, professional furlough in place until further notice

THE PURCHASING DEPT IS A MESS!!

Former Employee - Purchasing  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits. UNLV is centrally located in the Valley.

Cons

The management team (Director and Asst. Director) sorely lack people and management skills. UNLV needs to investigate why this dept has so much turnover - and the investigation will point to the current management - which is sooooo BAD; VERY, VERY BAD!! I will NEVER recommend anyone to work in the UNLV's Purchasing dept.

Change the current management of the Purchasing/Contracts Dept. and make sure that the college interns actually work and do the simple tasks they are assigned to do. It seems that the interns come at will, NEVER FILE and if they do it's wrong due to most of the interns cannot alphabetize simple names (our future leaders) "Stupid is as stupid does."

GA UNLV

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

They work on your classes schedule, pay for your classes, and work par-time during summer and full time in winter

Cons

it Highly depends with which professor your working with.

Tough place to work

Current Employee - Professor  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Professor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent salary. Assistant professors face tough standards, but are provided the time to pursue research interests.

Cons

Extremely political. Managment style can be dismissive and confrontational. A negative spin is put on almost any accomplishment. Deans and management concentrate on monitoring faculty, rather than providing the resources required to be successful.

Allow departments to manage themselves. The focus should be on providing faculty with the resources required to be successful.

Interesting but also disappointing

Former Employee - Office Supervisor  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University of Nevada Las Vegas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free tuition, I was able to almost complete my MBA with hardly any out of pocket expense. Chill work environment, casual dress code

Cons

Budget cuts, budget cuts, budget cuts. Did not receive a raise for the 5 years I worked there do to the state budget situation.

Try to find other ways to reward employees if it is not possible financially.

Worked for University of Nevada Las Vegas? Contribute to the Community!