University of Nevada Las Vegas

University of Nevada Las Vegas Acting President Donald D. Snyder

Donald D. Snyder

Beneficial experience

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsCompensation package (especially for non-Nevada residents who get out-of-state fees waived), academic environment with increasing focus on research, leadership (depending on department and professors), personal and professional growth, ability to balance work and school, closer relationships with faculty, flexible schedule

ConsDid not have a personal office (6-8 graduate assistants in computer lab style room), may have to work varying hours (nights, weekends) depending on project deadlines

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease research throughout the university and continue to give students experience with research based projects

Admissions Counselor

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsWorking with prospective students, great co-workers, helping students get into college, travelling, tuition benefits if you want to go back to school

ConsNational university still operating like a regional college, policies changing all the time, professional furlough in place until further notice

THE PURCHASING DEPT IS A MESS!!

Purchasing (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsGood benefits. UNLV is centrally located in the Valley.

ConsThe management team (Director and Asst. Director) sorely lack people and management skills. UNLV needs to investigate why this dept has so much turnover - and the investigation will point to the current management - which is sooooo BAD; VERY, VERY BAD!! I will NEVER recommend anyone to work in the UNLV's Purchasing dept.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the current management of the Purchasing/Contracts Dept. and make sure that the college interns actually work and do the simple tasks they are assigned to do. It seems that the interns come at will, NEVER FILE and if they do it's wrong due to most of the interns cannot alphabetize simple names (our future leaders) "Stupid is as stupid does."

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough place to work

Professor (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsDecent salary. Assistant professors face tough standards, but are provided the time to pursue research interests.

ConsExtremely political. Managment style can be dismissive and confrontational. A negative spin is put on almost any accomplishment. Deans and management concentrate on monitoring faculty, rather than providing the resources required to be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow departments to manage themselves. The focus should be on providing faculty with the resources required to be successful.

Interesting but also disappointing

Office Supervisor (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsFree tuition, I was able to almost complete my MBA with hardly any out of pocket expense. Chill work environment, casual dress code

ConsBudget cuts, budget cuts, budget cuts. Did not receive a raise for the 5 years I worked there do to the state budget situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to find other ways to reward employees if it is not possible financially.

GA UNLV

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsThey work on your classes schedule, pay for your classes, and work par-time during summer and full time in winter

Consit Highly depends with which professor your working with.

Good place to start a career.

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsGreat school, smart and talented people. College atmosphere is inspiring. Open door policy. Good health insurance.

ConsLack of access to career advice. Not many opportunities for advancement. Funding can be an issue.

Screws the part time faculty

ProsThe students are great and teaching is fun.

ConsNot enough to make a real living at. Just doing it, because I enjoy teaching.

Great learning and working experience

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

Pros- great faculty to learn from
    - good working environment
    - great supportive staff and colleagues

Cons- the infrastructure esp. for the engineering and science section can be improved than its current state

IT Technician

IT Technician (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsIt is a very friendly environment to work in. I had a lot of freedom in deciding how to solve specific or unusual problems and my supervisor has always been very helpful and encouraging. Also, if you are a student, they are very lenient on your schedule and working around your classes. I recommend working here.

ConsI got paid lower than a standard IT technician due to being a student but the pros more than make up for the cons, especially the flexibility of schedule for students.

Worked for University of Nevada Las Vegas? Contribute to the Community!