University of Nevada, Reno

Updated November 26, 2014
4.0

University of Nevada, Reno President Marc Johnson
Marc Johnson

Pros
  • Laid-back environment, Reno is not a bad place to live, close to Tahoe, close to the Sierra (in 6 reviews)

• Working on campus was great because i could go to class during my lunch, or i could work two days a week and one half day (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget cuts have caused more and more work with the loss of positions (in 5 reviews)

• Graduate students are overworked and under appreciated (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Research Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Autonomy is good and workload is very manageable.

Cons

Pay is low and the work can be difficult depending on you manager.

Classroom Assistant at Child and Family Research Center

Former Employee - Student Classroom Assistant in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Student Classroom Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best job I've ever had. Very understanding and accommodating administration. Always felt like a family but they certainly maintained professionalism and achieved high standards set forth by University and State accreditation system. A very reputable reference. Time off was super attainable. Flexible schedule based on changing class schedule.

Cons

Minimum wage as starting employee. Employer never took initiative to implement semesterly raises, as negotiated in interview. I worked there for 5 years and only had two 25 cent raises the whole time. Had I negotiated, I'm certain that would have been different. Admin was very approachable.

Pay more attention to student worker's benefits because we are already the most overlooked assets to the CFRC

Poor academic leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lovely campus with wonderful grounds.

Cons

Both the university leadership and academic leadership suffer from poor management skills. Most of all, however, they lack in honesty and integrity. They would make one decision, then change their mind in a very short period of time, and go another direction. Further, there were a lot of politics both within the university and the universities' dealings within the state. Overall, employees and even the students were abused.

Start over with new management! And find new academic leadership.

The only game in town

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The benefits for faculty are outstanding.
    -Reno is a cheap place to live.
    -The engineering school is actually quite good.
    -The campus is much nicer than one would expect.

Cons

-The state froze salaries for a number of years and salaries are already quite low.
    -I found that UNR faculty and staff tend to behave like they are a much bigger deal than they actually are. I came from a much larger university and I was surprised how seriously faculty take themselves especially at the higher levels.
    -The medical school along with most of the university is an absolute joke.

You are the only game in town, so take a pill.

Great experience

Former Employee - President in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - President in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Real world experience that is hard to find at any other avenue especially as a college student

Cons

There are a lot of unnecessary rules and regulations that come along with working at any public institution.

Great flexible job for any student

Former Employee - Joe Crowley Student Union Building Operations in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Joe Crowley Student Union Building Operations in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, free printing, resume builder overall great casual working environment for a university student. They hire based off of personality, so if you're a fun outgoing person this is the job for you, and you will find yourself surrounded by other outgoing people.

Cons

Not many hours, hard to get hired without knowing someone, also very small raises over years, not a job you want to work if you're expecting to make good money. Also, there is less than .005% chance of you ever being hired on after you graduate college. Basically, it's most definitely temporary.

I would say that the upper management does a great job with students. However, there is much room to raise pay for employees, especially in all areas OTHER than faculty supervisors. They need raises too, but they tend to receive all the favorable treatment in the office.

Great place to work and great people... just avoid the politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

nice campus, great people, positive and forward looking atmosphere, it's like a really big family... sure there are some cooks (who doesn't have a crazy relative or two), but for the most part, people have good relationships.

Cons

there is a lot of bureaucracy and politics. unless you are in one of those positions, you can mostly keep your head down and stay off the radar, avoiding the aggravation.

all I can really say is that while I understand there has to be "politics" to an extent, keep in mind this is an institution of higher education. the politics should serve the institution, not the other way around. many times, I rules and decisions that seemed to serve only the politics, and encumbered or hurt the institution and it's ability to serve its purpose, to educate.

Great place to work that greatly adjusts to your school schedule.

Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great schedule! Good pay, fun coworkers, challenging and rewarding opportunities. Beautiful campus and great community. Reno is a great place to live.

Cons

Not enough hours to go around. Really, there aren't much cons since they do do everything in their power to have the schedule revolve around school work and tests and whatnot.

Keep doing what you're doing

College of Business Career Services

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome boss and coworkers! Tuition reimbursements are the best thing that ever happened it cut my tuition costs in half for my graduate degree! The environment and culture are amazing. When completing a task you know that your work is appreciated! I left my previous job to apply for this one and it was the best decision I ever made!

Cons

Red tape between the different university departments to get things done but that is expected with any university. When you need to reserve facilities for various events fighting with the different departments on which events take priority is a headache!

Also, when creating marketing materials and needing to submit them to integrated marketing can day weeks which becomes a stressful situation when you are trying to get something printed by a specific deadline.

Great benefits, great environment

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Reno, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great easy going culture, great benefits like health, tuition reduction, I am paying 800 bucks a semester for an MBA while working here.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, makes changes slow. Need to kinda ride the wave...

Less layers, empowerment of the employees to take decisions.

University of Nevada, Reno Photos