University of Nevada, Reno
www.unr.edu Reno, NV

University of Nevada, Reno Reviews in Reno, NV

Updated Jul 3, 2014
University of Nevada, Reno – Reno – “Lab”

University of Nevada, Reno President Marc Johnson

Marc Johnson

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Friendly environment

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsPeople are respectful and polite. Although there were some budget cuts a few years ago, it is getting better and growing fast right now. Reno is a nice city for students who are looking for an apartment to rent.

ConsAs a researcher, it is not easy to publish in a high impact factor journal unless your advisor gets a huge grant.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds more advertisement, it is not very well known out of the state.

Great educational benefits.

Graphic Designer (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsClassified grants-in-aid for tuition reimbursement. 10 hours a month for vacation and sick time.

ConsSOOOO much politics, no room to grow. People are stuck in their own ways, no innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging.

Lots of good intentions, lots of politics at play

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsThere are a lot of great people to work with. Campus has been getting larger and there are many wonderful buildings. The University is trying to generate a feeling of home on campus and I believe it has been succeeding. This is especially true of the Student Union, which offers many events on campus for students and the community to attend.

ConsThere is a lot of bureaucracy, pay for graduate students has gotten better but still isn't great, and if you only get an LOA position to teach you will make less than a bagger at Target.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline departments and go digital with forms. Focus on academics not administration! It is a University. Treat your Graduate Students well. They play an integral role on campus.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supportive work environment; good work/life balance

Reno, NV

ProsThe university is a large employer so experiences will differ depending on department/office, but the team I worked for was exceptionally supportive on both professional and personal levels. They encouraged career growth and satisfaction, as well as a healthy work/life balance. The pay is reasonable for the Reno/Sparks area and the benefits are good.

ConsBecause the university is an entity of a state government, there is bureaucracy and red tape involved that can slow some processes (e.g., promotions, workflow processes). Also, due to budgetary issues, salaries have been impacted the last few years through furloughs and salary freezes, which has been unfortunate though understandable.

An extremely caring, positive place to work.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsThe staff I work with are passionate about what they do. As a graduate assistant, I make a good salary, but with less hours. It makes me feel appreciated to know that my school takes care of me while I am trying to earn my education. I know that I will give back to UNR because of my experience working here. My hours are flexible depending on my school schedule and parenting schedule.

ConsI have not found any drawbacks so far. My experience has been very positive with this position.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide employment opportunities for students. This job has given me the ability to work and continue to provide for my family while doing so.

Archivist Student Government

Archivist (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsI was able to set my own hours. Throughly enjoyed the job. There were many good people there and it was a good place to work

ConsWas a stipend position. Need to change to an hourly position. Student position. Also, never checked the GPA, as such it lead to a misunderstanding

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear as to the fact that it is a cumulative GPA from all schools not just UNR. Don't just talk to the people when something goes wrong, be more proactive in rewarding those who do a good job.

Excellent College Job

Technology Services (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsYou create your own schedule so you rarely have to worry about conflicts with school or anything really. There is high potential for promotion within the company.

ConsMust be a University of Nevada, Reno student, but it's an incredible school so this really shouldn't be a con.

Good workplace

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsGood work and play balance

ConsLess benefits and work hours are not flexible

Worked as a laboratory assistant for one year.

Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsLearned a lot of skills, great work life balance and great people, very helpful, friendly and willing to teach you techniques and bestow trust in you abilities. Great facilities on campus and great University Spirit. Very central location with cheap living expenses.

ConsNone loved working here, learned a lot and had a great overall experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a good job.

Heavy load, low paid!

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsReno is a nice city to live. Although it is small, but it almost has any vital requirement for a person who lives there. The world's biggest little city is a proper title for Reno. UNR campus is also one of the best spots in the city. The campus is big and there are a lot of activities going on.

ConsThe tuition fees are high and they keep increasing.

Worked for University of Nevada, Reno? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Nevada, Reno reviews and ratings in Reno, NV — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Nevada, Reno CEO Marc Johnson. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by University of Nevada, Reno employees.