University of Nevada, Reno Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.8

University of Nevada, Reno President Marc Johnson
Marc Johnson

Pros
  • Laid-back environment, Reno is not a bad place to live, close to Tahoe, close to the Sierra (in 6 reviews)

• laid-back environment, flexible with schedules (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget cuts have caused more and more work with the loss of positions (in 5 reviews)

• Graduate students are overworked and under appreciated (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

College of Business Career Services

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome boss and coworkers! Tuition reimbursements are the best thing that ever happened it cut my tuition costs in half for my graduate degree! The environment and culture are amazing. When completing a task you know that your work is appreciated! I left my previous job to apply for this one and it was the best decision I ever made!

Cons

Red tape between the different university departments to get things done but that is expected with any university. When you need to reserve facilities for various events fighting with the different departments on which events take priority is a headache!

Also, when creating marketing materials and needing to submit them to integrated marketing can day weeks which becomes a stressful situation when you are trying to get something printed by a specific deadline.

Great benefits, great environment

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Reno, NV

Pros

Great easy going culture, great benefits like health, tuition reduction, I am paying 800 bucks a semester for an MBA while working here.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, makes changes slow. Need to kinda ride the wave...

Less layers, empowerment of the employees to take decisions.

Student worker

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno

Pros

Working on campus was great because i could go to class during my lunch, or i could work two days a week and one half day. Everyone is really understanding when it comes to the time in the semester when you have to finish projects and do other community based events.

Cons

They only let you work 20 Hrs a week during each semester, so if you're looking to pay rent and stuff like that it may be very difficult.

They have it locked down pretty well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed my time as a TA at UNR. Reasonable workload in the humanities and decent students.

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

health insurance, summers off, long winter break, good students, mentorship available

Cons

Sometimes you may feel overworked—but get over it.

Undergraduate Research Assistant

Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great academic environment. Fostered a great deal of intellectual stimulus. Worked as a student conducting research.

Cons

Hours are restricted as a students as to not interfere with classes. Both a pro and con. Work needed to get done but sometimes I couldn't do it because of the limit.

Friendly environment

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno full-time

Pros

People are respectful and polite. Although there were some budget cuts a few years ago, it is getting better and growing fast right now. Reno is a nice city for students who are looking for an apartment to rent.

Cons

As a researcher, it is not easy to publish in a high impact factor journal unless your advisor gets a huge grant.

Needs more advertisement, it is not very well known out of the state.

Good retirement, pleasant environment, terrible compensation and health benefits.

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Lots of time off
    -Excellent Retirement if you're non-classified.
    -Laid-back work environment compared to private industry,

Cons

-Zero upward mobility and no advancement opportunities.
    -Lots of politics dominated by the lowest common denominator. Since it's a government job, common sense doesn't reign supreme.
    -Compensation is poor, and non-competitive with private industry or other Universities for that matter.
    -Annual merit raises, which were finally restored this year, are abysmal and borderline insulting.
    -Since many people have left due to poor wages, work is simply redistributed to existing employees without filling the position. Taking time off quickly doesn't become an option due to the increased workload, especially if you're in a critical role like network security.

Raise the compensation level to make it at least somewhat competitive. Skilled workers are leaving by the droves for greener pastures.

Great educational benefits.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno full-time for more than a year

Pros

Classified grants-in-aid for tuition reimbursement. 10 hours a month for vacation and sick time.

Cons

SOOOO much politics, no room to grow. People are stuck in their own ways, no innovation.

Stop micromanaging.

great people, low pay

Current Employee - Visiting Lecturer
    Current Employee - Visiting Lecturer

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here are wonderful--very supportive and friendly. The campus is beautiful, as well.

Cons

It is a public university, and very dependent on state politics and the state's economy for money. When I arrived, there was mandatory furlough and a base pay cut across the board. Some of the pay cut has since been restored, but it is slow going. The insurance coverage is not good, either, as it requires a huge amount of out-of-pocket expenses--that, combined with the low salary is not a good option for people with families.

Lots of good intentions, lots of politics at play

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are a lot of great people to work with. Campus has been getting larger and there are many wonderful buildings. The University is trying to generate a feeling of home on campus and I believe it has been succeeding. This is especially true of the Student Union, which offers many events on campus for students and the community to attend.

Cons

There is a lot of bureaucracy, pay for graduate students has gotten better but still isn't great, and if you only get an LOA position to teach you will make less than a bagger at Target.

Streamline departments and go digital with forms. Focus on academics not administration! It is a University. Treat your Graduate Students well. They play an integral role on campus.

Worked for University of Nevada, Reno? Contribute to the Community!