University of Nevada, Reno
www.unr.edu Reno, NV

University of Nevada, Reno Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014
University of Nevada, Reno – Reno – “Lab”

University of Nevada, Reno President Marc Johnson

Marc Johnson

Friendly environment

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsPeople are respectful and polite. Although there were some budget cuts a few years ago, it is getting better and growing fast right now. Reno is a nice city for students who are looking for an apartment to rent.

ConsAs a researcher, it is not easy to publish in a high impact factor journal unless your advisor gets a huge grant.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds more advertisement, it is not very well known out of the state.

Good retirement, pleasant environment, terrible compensation and health benefits.

Pros-Lots of time off
    -Excellent Retirement if you're non-classified.
    -Laid-back work environment compared to private industry,

Cons-Zero upward mobility and no advancement opportunities.
    -Lots of politics dominated by the lowest common denominator. Since it's a government job, common sense doesn't reign supreme.
    -Compensation is poor, and non-competitive with private industry or other Universities for that matter.
    -Annual merit raises, which were finally restored this year, are abysmal and borderline insulting.
    -Since many people have left due to poor wages, work is simply redistributed to existing employees without filling the position. Taking time off quickly doesn't become an option due to the increased workload, especially if you're in a critical role like network security.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the compensation level to make it at least somewhat competitive. Skilled workers are leaving by the droves for greener pastures.

Great educational benefits.

Graphic Designer (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsClassified grants-in-aid for tuition reimbursement. 10 hours a month for vacation and sick time.

ConsSOOOO much politics, no room to grow. People are stuck in their own ways, no innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of good intentions, lots of politics at play

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsThere are a lot of great people to work with. Campus has been getting larger and there are many wonderful buildings. The University is trying to generate a feeling of home on campus and I believe it has been succeeding. This is especially true of the Student Union, which offers many events on campus for students and the community to attend.

ConsThere is a lot of bureaucracy, pay for graduate students has gotten better but still isn't great, and if you only get an LOA position to teach you will make less than a bagger at Target.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline departments and go digital with forms. Focus on academics not administration! It is a University. Treat your Graduate Students well. They play an integral role on campus.

great people, low pay

Visiting Lecturer (Current Employee)

ProsThe people here are wonderful--very supportive and friendly. The campus is beautiful, as well.

ConsIt is a public university, and very dependent on state politics and the state's economy for money. When I arrived, there was mandatory furlough and a base pay cut across the board. Some of the pay cut has since been restored, but it is slow going. The insurance coverage is not good, either, as it requires a huge amount of out-of-pocket expenses--that, combined with the low salary is not a good option for people with families.

Great environment and coworkers. A bit granular in scope.

ProsThere are always opportunities to work with new technology or meet new people. The university atmosphere is great as UNR is really expanding.

ConsThe IT department is pretty granular in scope. What would normally be classified as systems or networking is divided into multiple groups.

Supportive work environment; good work/life balance

Reno, NV

ProsThe university is a large employer so experiences will differ depending on department/office, but the team I worked for was exceptionally supportive on both professional and personal levels. They encouraged career growth and satisfaction, as well as a healthy work/life balance. The pay is reasonable for the Reno/Sparks area and the benefits are good.

ConsBecause the university is an entity of a state government, there is bureaucracy and red tape involved that can slow some processes (e.g., promotions, workflow processes). Also, due to budgetary issues, salaries have been impacted the last few years through furloughs and salary freezes, which has been unfortunate though understandable.

An extremely caring, positive place to work.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsThe staff I work with are passionate about what they do. As a graduate assistant, I make a good salary, but with less hours. It makes me feel appreciated to know that my school takes care of me while I am trying to earn my education. I know that I will give back to UNR because of my experience working here. My hours are flexible depending on my school schedule and parenting schedule.

ConsI have not found any drawbacks so far. My experience has been very positive with this position.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide employment opportunities for students. This job has given me the ability to work and continue to provide for my family while doing so.

Archivist Student Government

Archivist (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsI was able to set my own hours. Throughly enjoyed the job. There were many good people there and it was a good place to work

ConsWas a stipend position. Need to change to an hourly position. Student position. Also, never checked the GPA, as such it lead to a misunderstanding

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear as to the fact that it is a cumulative GPA from all schools not just UNR. Don't just talk to the people when something goes wrong, be more proactive in rewarding those who do a good job.

Graduate Research Assistant, ME

ProsNONE. Go to a different university.

Cons1) OSHA is non-existent
    2) Labor laws are not followed
    3) Pay is terrible
    4) University only covers 75% of the credit cost for students with an assistantship. Does not cover differential tuition and added fees.
    5) Lack of students wanting to get their advanced degrees has created a culture where professors hold students from graduating.

Bottom line: If you are an American, don'g get an advanced degree or go to a different school. If you are foreign, just find a different school.

Worked for University of Nevada, Reno? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Nevada, Reno reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Nevada, Reno CEO Marc Johnson. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by University of Nevada, Reno employees.