University of Nevada, Reno

Updated October 21, 2014
4.0

University of Nevada, Reno President Marc Johnson
Marc Johnson

Pros
  • Laid-back environment, Reno is not a bad place to live, close to Tahoe, close to the Sierra (in 6 reviews)

• Working on campus was great because i could go to class during my lunch, or i could work two days a week and one half day (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget cuts have caused more and more work with the loss of positions (in 5 reviews)

• Graduate students are overworked and under appreciated (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Undergraduate Research Assistant

Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great academic environment. Fostered a great deal of intellectual stimulus. Worked as a student conducting research.

Cons

Hours are restricted as a students as to not interfere with classes. Both a pro and con. Work needed to get done but sometimes I couldn't do it because of the limit.

Friendly environment

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno full-time

Pros

People are respectful and polite. Although there were some budget cuts a few years ago, it is getting better and growing fast right now. Reno is a nice city for students who are looking for an apartment to rent.

Cons

As a researcher, it is not easy to publish in a high impact factor journal unless your advisor gets a huge grant.

Needs more advertisement, it is not very well known out of the state.

Good retirement, pleasant environment, terrible compensation and health benefits.

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Lots of time off
    -Excellent Retirement if you're non-classified.
    -Laid-back work environment compared to private industry,

Cons

-Zero upward mobility and no advancement opportunities.
    -Lots of politics dominated by the lowest common denominator. Since it's a government job, common sense doesn't reign supreme.
    -Compensation is poor, and non-competitive with private industry or other Universities for that matter.
    -Annual merit raises, which were finally restored this year, are abysmal and borderline insulting.
    -Since many people have left due to poor wages, work is simply redistributed to existing employees without filling the position. Taking time off quickly doesn't become an option due to the increased workload, especially if you're in a critical role like network security.

Raise the compensation level to make it at least somewhat competitive. Skilled workers are leaving by the droves for greener pastures.

Great educational benefits.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Classified grants-in-aid for tuition reimbursement. 10 hours a month for vacation and sick time.

Cons

SOOOO much politics, no room to grow. People are stuck in their own ways, no innovation.

Stop micromanaging.

great people, low pay

Current Employee - Visiting Lecturer
    Current Employee - Visiting Lecturer

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are wonderful--very supportive and friendly. The campus is beautiful, as well.

Cons

It is a public university, and very dependent on state politics and the state's economy for money. When I arrived, there was mandatory furlough and a base pay cut across the board. Some of the pay cut has since been restored, but it is slow going. The insurance coverage is not good, either, as it requires a huge amount of out-of-pocket expenses--that, combined with the low salary is not a good option for people with families.

Lots of good intentions, lots of politics at play

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great people to work with. Campus has been getting larger and there are many wonderful buildings. The University is trying to generate a feeling of home on campus and I believe it has been succeeding. This is especially true of the Student Union, which offers many events on campus for students and the community to attend.

Cons

There is a lot of bureaucracy, pay for graduate students has gotten better but still isn't great, and if you only get an LOA position to teach you will make less than a bagger at Target.

Streamline departments and go digital with forms. Focus on academics not administration! It is a University. Treat your Graduate Students well. They play an integral role on campus.

Great environment and coworkers. A bit granular in scope.

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno

Pros

There are always opportunities to work with new technology or meet new people. The university atmosphere is great as UNR is really expanding.

Cons

The IT department is pretty granular in scope. What would normally be classified as systems or networking is divided into multiple groups.

Supportive work environment; good work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The university is a large employer so experiences will differ depending on department/office, but the team I worked for was exceptionally supportive on both professional and personal levels. They encouraged career growth and satisfaction, as well as a healthy work/life balance. The pay is reasonable for the Reno/Sparks area and the benefits are good.

Cons

Because the university is an entity of a state government, there is bureaucracy and red tape involved that can slow some processes (e.g., promotions, workflow processes). Also, due to budgetary issues, salaries have been impacted the last few years through furloughs and salary freezes, which has been unfortunate though understandable.

An extremely caring, positive place to work.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff I work with are passionate about what they do. As a graduate assistant, I make a good salary, but with less hours. It makes me feel appreciated to know that my school takes care of me while I am trying to earn my education. I know that I will give back to UNR because of my experience working here. My hours are flexible depending on my school schedule and parenting schedule.

Cons

I have not found any drawbacks so far. My experience has been very positive with this position.

Continue to provide employment opportunities for students. This job has given me the ability to work and continue to provide for my family while doing so.

Graduate Research Assistant, ME

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno

Pros

NONE. Go to a different university.

Cons

1) OSHA is non-existent
    2) Labor laws are not followed
    3) Pay is terrible
    4) University only covers 75% of the credit cost for students with an assistantship. Does not cover differential tuition and added fees.
    5) Lack of students wanting to get their advanced degrees has created a culture where professors hold students from graduating.

Bottom line: If you are an American, don'g get an advanced degree or go to a different school. If you are foreign, just find a different school.

University of Nevada, Reno Photos