University of Nevada, Reno Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
78 reviews filtered by

1. Graduate student. Awesome experience.

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno

Pros

University atmosphere. good work life balance. Affordable living and close to many outdoor activities.

Cons

none to mention. not really

2. Considerable Option for Students

Former Employee - Student Worker III in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Student Worker III in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible scheduling, able to determine own hours -- perfect opportunity for students.
    Received research credit while working for pay.
    Gained a lot of work skills and knowledge pertaining to my degree.

Cons

Graduate students are overworked for little pay. There was a limit to the number of paid hours per week, and in research, those hours are often exceeded.

3. Many dead end jobs

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career life balance is better than previous jobs I had.

Cons

The only way to get salary increases is to change departments or go into management, , as a result we have large numbers of managers, directors, supervisors and very few people who actually do the work, it is absurd how many supervisors or managers only have one or two employees under them. Because there are many dead end jobs and we've had many years with no merit or salary increase, in fact we had salary cuts, the turn over is high, I've had 5 managers....moral in general is very low.

5. Horrible administration, depressed/anxious colleagues

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The students - though very mixed in abilities and levels - were primarily excellent in effort, interest, and commitment. Really enjoyable students who worked hard. The 100% retirement match was great (and somewhat compensated for the mediocre salary for younger/newer people).

Cons

Depression and anxiety amongst high percentage of staff, faculty and students was high. So much wrong with this work environment: overworked colleagues; backward administration who often acted without leadership, ethics or legality (this school fired the most tenure professors in the United States one year after the recession hit); some colleagues were average and decent, but most were malicious, spiteful, jealous and incestuous (not to mention bad at their research), in turn they regularly made problems for the department, keeping the department from growing and moving forward, etc. Numerous were beyond retirement age with no retirement in sight. A handful of tenured faculty were reported to the Dean's office and Equal Opportunity/Title IX for abuses over the years to staff and faculty, but nothing ever happened. I eventually quit since working there was in fact hurting my career and health, as did other colleagues throughout the Humanities. The health benefits were great when I started but by the end they were abysmal and expensive (went from $20 co-pays to $175/$200 doctor appointments because of revisions to out-of-pocket and deductible requirements. If you have a family, get some other insurance!)

Next time they have the chance to hire the best qualified candidate for President, go with it. UNR missed a great opportunity by not hiring the most recent female candidate who was in fact the most qualified and the university favorite out of the three candidates. There is no real leadership at that school; they are aiming to become a business selling a bad product to the highest bidder.

6. Research Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Autonomy is good and workload is very manageable.

Cons

Pay is low and the work can be difficult depending on you manager.

7. Graduate assistant

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It gives tution waivers and health insurance. Work experience is invaluable .

Cons

Work timings might be difficult to manage

8. Classroom Assistant at Child and Family Research Center

Former Employee - Student Classroom Assistant in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Student Classroom Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best job I've ever had. Very understanding and accommodating administration. Always felt like a family but they certainly maintained professionalism and achieved high standards set forth by University and State accreditation system. A very reputable reference. Time off was super attainable. Flexible schedule based on changing class schedule.

Cons

Minimum wage as starting employee. Employer never took initiative to implement semesterly raises, as negotiated in interview. I worked there for 5 years and only had two 25 cent raises the whole time. Had I negotiated, I'm certain that would have been different. Admin was very approachable.

Pay more attention to student worker's benefits because we are already the most overlooked assets to the CFRC

9. Poor academic leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lovely campus with wonderful grounds.

Cons

Both the university leadership and academic leadership suffer from poor management skills. Most of all, however, they lack in honesty and integrity. They would make one decision, then change their mind in a very short period of time, and go another direction. Further, there were a lot of politics both within the university and the universities' dealings within the state. Overall, employees and even the students were abused.

Start over with new management! And find new academic leadership.

10. Great experience

Former Employee - President in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - President in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Real world experience that is hard to find at any other avenue especially as a college student

Cons

There are a lot of unnecessary rules and regulations that come along with working at any public institution.

11. Working on part time campus as a student on Nightingale Concert Hall

Current Employee - Assistant Technician
    Current Employee - Assistant Technician

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours that allowed me to schedule work around important tasks that involved school; Friendly management and coworkers; Management and experienced coworkers were always forgivable for mistakes and were more than willing to teach. Lovely culture and an always well behaved audience;

Cons

Not really a con; but as a student, I really wasn't expecting any compensation and benefits, hence the rating. As for career opportunities, I can't really inform from the experience I had as my occupation was limited to a part time, non-long term position.

University of Nevada, Reno Photos