University of New England
www.une.edu Biddeford, ME 500 to 999 Employees

University of New England Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good place to go to college, bad place to work

I have been working at University of New England

ProsMy direct supervisor is wonderful, the pay is better than at USM (the local competition), the facilities are new or well maintained.

ConsConstant turnover, senior staff and HR don't know how to effectively communicate, the IT department has been outsourced to a company that doesn't handle the job well (we joke that IT at UNE is Do it Yourself).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a better handle on HR and IT and please work on the turnover issue. Its embarassing and hurts morale. There was one VP who didn't even last three months!

Admin Assistant positions, held in low regard, the culture does not develop or promote these individuals, mostly women

Staff Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at University of New England full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCampuses are lovely, vibrant places. Students are great. Benefits with TIAA-CREF and health are good. The pool and exercise rooms are wonderful and staff is encouraged to make use of them.

ConsSalaries are lower than most private colleges in NE. Many employees have reached upper management positions and have been remained in them for 25-30 years. They typically receive no management training or development. Their administrative power over the secretarial and assistant folks (majority of women) is unchecked, thus a very detrimental sense of entitlement pervades. Through the work culture runs a hearty strain of paranoia that allows a sort of bullying towards this employee class (those under a Level 9). There is often infighting between the lower levels because there is no forum to discuss problems without being fired, no ombudsmen with whom to file a grievance, no apparent process to move on within the various job tracks.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with lower-level staff to determine their development needs and goals. Treat them with respect instead of condescension

Hostile work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of New England full-time for more than a year

ProsBeautiful campus, by the waterfront, few of the newer buildings were lovely to work in. Accessible parking. Campus used Google docs, which was a nice perk.

ConsI found UNE to be a hostile work environment, often observing coworkers being outrightly abused by supervisors. This created a domino effect where coworkers treated each other just as poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake employees' complaints and concerns seriously. Not all people in management positions should stay there.

great people, horrible pay

Adjunct (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of New England

Prosmy department chair is kind and generous, easy to work with.

Consworking as an adjunct is no way to live. unless you want to live in Biddeford (no thanks), you need to commute 30+ minutes to work.
the adjunct pay is terrible. but that's a university issue- not my departments.

Worked for University of New England? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of New England reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by University of New England employees.