University of New England

3.1

CEO

Very positive

I have been working at University of New England

Pros

great climate (political ) excellent benefits; flexiblity;

Cons

Weather; roads, lack of an effective budget

Please look at the entire campus from the ground up.

Promises, Promises, Promises

I have been working at University of New England full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part you get a pretty flexible work schedule. The benefits used to be stellar but are still better than most places. The campuses are very well taken care of and beautiful in the summer. Regular cost of living raise.

Cons

If you can get an interview (4-6 months) and you make it to the final round you will almost certainly hear something along the lines of "room for advancement" or "ability to grow". This is pretty much a bold faced lie. Most of the upper management is just out to lunch or looking out for their own interests, when it comes to the people who grind it out everyday they couldn't seem to care less. There is no way to advance, promotions are reserved for those who brown-nose constantly. Be prepared that the job you get is the job you will have until you leave.

There is no point in offering advice because the management is going to do whatever the heck it wants.

Mixed

I have been working at University of New England

Pros

Great benefits, nice work environment, great co-workers

Cons

Salary doesn't keep up with current salaries at other institutions. Heavy turnover in upper management. Expectation that everyone wants to work 60 hours per week.

Stop thinking everyone wants to work 60 hours per week. When a new person is hired, or someone is promoted, make the expectations clear and provide training.

Admissions Counselor

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Portland, ME

I have been working at University of New England full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Medical Benefits
    Sick time and vacation time

Cons

Little to no raises for opportunities for advancement

THE best place to work in Southern Maine!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME

I have been working at University of New England full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive leadership. Dynamic and useful academic programs for students. Encourages and promotes learning opportunities for faculty and staff. Not always focused on "just sit down and work"- annual fall assembly with President Ripich, various expos, health and wellness initiatives such as an annual 1-2 mile Fun Run/Walk. Family environment. Management acknowledges hard work. Encourages team unity. BEAUTIFUL campus on the ocean (and Portland has several historic buildings).

Cons

Having to work in the summer when the ocean looks so beautiful from our offices. :)

Keep up the hard work! We are here to support you!

Great benefits, competitive salaries with other private institutions, friendly work environment.

Current Employee - Faculty Member in Biddeford, ME
    Current Employee - Faculty Member in Biddeford, ME

I have been working at University of New England full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The University of New England Biddeford Campus is located on the coast of southern Maine. I love coming to work to take in the scenic ocean views. I have been an employee for 7 years and enjoy the friendly atmosphere and welcoming. I also appreciate our comprehensive and competitive benefit's package. The University is very progressive and fast paced which allows its employees an opportunity to be creative within their professional role. Their new athletic center - Alfond Forum is spectacular. Great to have our own ice!

Cons

The parking situation on both campuses is a huge annoyance but something we deal with.

I believe that the senior management should communicate more frequently to the employees on the progress that they are making and changes that may occur.

Working in research at an academic setting

Former Contractor - Senior Research Assistant in Biddeford, ME
    Former Contractor - Senior Research Assistant in Biddeford, ME

I worked at University of New England as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The campus was beautiful and working with the students in the laboratory was very rewarding. Also, some of my colleagues were great.

Cons

Maine salaries are quite low compared to other places I have worked.

A great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME

I have been working at University of New England (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are excellent. The culture is swinging more to a corporate feel.

Cons

Classroom technology is antiquated. Systems in general have been neglected.

Lose Sungard. Move ITS back in-house. Upgrade Systems.

Admin Assistant positions, held in low regard, the culture does not develop or promote these individuals, mostly women

Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Biddeford, ME
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Biddeford, ME

I worked at University of New England full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Campuses are lovely, vibrant places. Students are great. Benefits with TIAA-CREF and health are good. The pool and exercise rooms are wonderful and staff is encouraged to make use of them.

Cons

Salaries are lower than most private colleges in NE. Many employees have reached upper management positions and have been remained in them for 25-30 years. They typically receive no management training or development. Their administrative power over the secretarial and assistant folks (majority of women) is unchecked, thus a very detrimental sense of entitlement pervades. Through the work culture runs a hearty strain of paranoia that allows a sort of bullying towards this employee class (those under a Level 9). There is often infighting between the lower levels because there is no forum to discuss problems without being fired, no ombudsmen with whom to file a grievance, no apparent process to move on within the various job tracks.

Check in with lower-level staff to determine their development needs and goals. Treat them with respect instead of condescension

Hostile work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME

I worked at University of New England full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, by the waterfront, few of the newer buildings were lovely to work in. Accessible parking. Campus used Google docs, which was a nice perk.

Cons

I found UNE to be a hostile work environment, often observing coworkers being outrightly abused by supervisors. This created a domino effect where coworkers treated each other just as poorly.

Take employees' complaints and concerns seriously. Not all people in management positions should stay there.