University of New Mexico Hospital

Add Photos

Fun Place!

Patient Care Tech (Current Employee) Rio Rancho, NM

Prosfun co workers
    good pace depepnding on the unit you're on (i'm in ICU)
    very helpful staff especially if you're in school
    flexible "wishlist" style month to month scheduling

Conslots of ETOH patinets
    no room for growth unless you go back to school to move up
    not the greatest pay...

Beware of the U.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsGiving back to the community and learning more about disease processes.

ConsBeing a male RN, conservative and not LBGT.
    Healthcare to undocumented illegal immigrants is provided and not to be questioned.
     Increased insurance rates by 30%.
    APD beat patients into a pulp.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your nurses.

RN on a Subacute Care Floor

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsExtensive classes and training; good support from RN coworkers; good MD/RN/Tech relationships and communication.

ConsOnerous requirements regarding classes and meetings - The amount of time I am expected to be at work on my days off sometimes feels overwhelming.

It's difficult to get appointments for healthcare with UNM insurance. There are extended weight times for PCP appointments and especially specialized care.

There seems to be a lot of burn out and judgement coming from healthcare providers when dealing with their patients.

No RN raises for four years? Not right.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore emphasis on work/life balance, please! We need time to neutralize after repeated busy days with high-acuity patients and very needy patients. Burnout seems almost inevitable the longer you stay here.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience/Great first job

ProsUniversity environment with lots of learning opportunities. The teaching environment allows you to ask questions without feeling uneducated. Health insurance is free to the employee but you have to pay for spouse/family. Great co-workers.

ConsParking lot is far away and you have to take a bus. Some managers/directors show favoritism toward certain employees. Difficult to take time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't promise what you cannot deliver. Don't just send negative emails, send some positive ones too.

Good place to learn technology

IT Manager (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsStability, reasonable benifits lots of complex systems to learn.

ConsStagnant wages high stress, large number of employees

Decent salary. Confusing structure

Non-clinical Support (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsMy direct supervisor is a wonderful person. There is a lot of interpersonal support.

ConsToo much drama. The hoops you have to jump through to make any effective change make you feel very defeated. The message received is "we've always done it this way and you are not going to change anything for the better."

Advice to Senior ManagementOnboarding started out successfully, but went downhill quickly. There are absolutely no incentives to do better; performance appraisals mean nothing.

like family

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

Prosgreat coworkers; good teamwork; dedicated to the health and welfare of the patients; worked in two different departments there; learned many things and software programs. Still the best hospital system in the city. Only Level 1 Trauma Center for the entire state of New Mexico!

Conssometimes too top heavy in administration; pay freezes in bad economy; still has bad reputation with the public; some of the units still show wear and tear from their age.

Advice to Senior Managementget out among the employees more and not in a suit. Get a feel for the pulse of the organization.

Environmental Services

ProsGood benefits and people, made many friends

ConsDictatorial, unethical Director who will do anything to make a person he doesn't like look bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen are you going to wake up?

Intimidating and dangerous for medical practitioners

Advanced Practice Provider (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsYou will see a wide variety of cases in Primary Care. They are often interesting and if you enjoy internal medicine, this is a good place to get started. They have a consult line open 24 hours a day. Most of the specialists are excellent and take call with enthusiasm and professionalism. Sure, a few specialists are dreadful but most Primary Care practitioners like the PALS system.

ConsThese are numerous. The biggest problem at UNM clinics is the practice of prescribing narcotics and benzos without proper medical management. Management intimidates and bullies practitioners (new NPs and PAs) into writing prescriptions in dangerous situations. Practitioners are forbidden to exercise judgment and perform evaluations prior to making medical decisions to prescribe narcotics and benzos. Bottom line : If you want to keep working there, you must write a prescription for anything demanded by any new patient who walks in the door. Sometimes, NPs and PAs are told to write prescriptions without ever seeing the patient despite insisting the patient come to clinic.

The other problem is their health insurance for NPs and PAs. Doctors have great insurance that permits them to see anyone in Albuquerque which improves the time (immediate) to see a Primary or specialist. However, NPs and PAs are subjected to the same indigent health care plan as the unemployed (called UNM Care). If you are a PA or NP, you may only get care from UNM Hospitals which means 6 to 9 months waiting time for a specialist.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou ask NPs and PAs to practice the same high quality medicine that MDs and DOs practice. You offer them inferior medical benefits and subject them to riskier cases and practices that place their medical licenses in jeopardy.

Steady under-employment; no raises; no future advancement

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsSteady employment; job security; low stress workplace. Job satisfaction is largely based on supervisor. I have three supervisors: 2 good, one "out-to-lunch"!

ConsNo chance for advancement in my department; No merit or any raises in more than 3 years; when advancing salary is restricted by "15% rule".

Advice to Senior ManagementStart actually caring about your employees. We're not expendables, but valuable "human resources". Hospital has about $200 million in cash reserves (reported by ABQ newspaper), but won't give employees a cost-of-living raise.

Worked for University of New Mexico Hospital? Contribute to the Community!