University of Newcastle (UK)

www.ncl.ac.uk

University of Newcastle (UK) Reviews

Updated December 29, 2014
Updated December 29, 2014
3.9

Sir Liam Donaldson

the resource environment is very friendly

Current Employee - PhD Researcher in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PhD Researcher in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Newcastle (UK) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

personal growth is very fast, promotion is very big, and newcastle is very suitable for living

Cons

the training is comparatively less.

we need more training and academic guide from the academic faculty

Ok...

Current Employee - Human Resources in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Newcastle (UK) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty forward looking and relaxed. Good prospects going forward with investments made for foreign students.

Cons

Some of the employees are true bean counters and some of the most inefficient and petty people I have ever met.

Flatten the management structure more

power system (smart grid) researcher

Current Employee - Power Systems Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Power Systems Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Newcastle (UK) full-time

Pros

nice place, lots of smart people, good research environment, good device, experienced staff, nice lab. I am very enjoy study and work there. big project

Canny workplace

Former Employee - Graduate Ambassador in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Graduate Ambassador in Newcastle, England (UK)

I worked at University of Newcastle (UK) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good teams and leadership, with opportunities for progression and good staff development opportunities with regular reviews. Friendly atmosphere. Decent benefits and opportunities to travel, reasonable holiday allowance and good flexitime arrangements.

Cons

Temporary year-long contracts for some roles, whilst ideal in many ways, made development of ideas difficult in some areas. One team settles in and finds their feet, then develops a few new ideas about how to improve procedures, but moves on fairly quickly so ideas can sometimes end up only half introduced.

comprehensive

I have been working at University of Newcastle (UK)

Pros

I like talking to friends regarding car engines, families, house projects and future plans.

Cons

Great morale and excellent people.

Mostly ok

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Newcastle (UK) part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Convenient, pretty good colleagues, interesting work. I imagine it's fairly similar to most other universities in that respect. They are fond of having representatives communicate with them from our group of part time workers.

Good values; sustainability, etc.

Cons

Disappointing response when I complained about a male colleague harassing me.
    The pay isn't great either, but it's better than most jobs.

friendly people, freedom to work on own project, but invisible line manager (group has no vision)

Current Employee - Research Associate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Newcastle (UK) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am given freedom to work on my own projects, colleagues are friendly, and there is cross-departmental collaboration going on.

I have been encouraged to apply for my own funding, but I am not convinced that this is what I want. The personal career advise service was helpful, though.

Cons

- People are squeezed into noisy open plan offices and expected to perform optimally. This is not only at my own department, but at multiple departments across the university.
    - IT facilitates are insufficient: The university e-mail account is only 2Gb. IT problems usually take months to be fixed.
    - My post-doc salary is low (£28k) and there is no opportunity to earn extra money in my department.
    - Some of the buildings (not all) are old and dusty, make sure you see your work environment before you take up a job

Professor, your phd is over, stop doing your own projects, networking trips, and personal development courses. Instead, start to learn to be an effective leader. You are invisible as a leader. Maybe you could turn up at our monthly group meeting and actually meet your staff for the PDR instead of waiving it off as a bureaucratic necessity which can be dealt with over e-mail.

Excellent company to work for!

Current Employee - Accounts Clerk in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Accounts Clerk in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Pros

Working for the Uni is the best decision I ever made. The training opportunites are second to none, great ways to progress. working conditions are fantastic and staff are very polite and helpful

Cons

If you want to progress you have to go for it, hard work pays off in the end

Easy going and varied work

Current Employee - Jobs On Campus in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Jobs On Campus in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Newcastle (UK) part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked as a student temp worker while studying there, varied roles included cleaning, bar work, catering and office work. This allowed me to develop a wide range of skills. You meet many interesting people and the managers at the different roles are all welcoming and happy to offer help/guidance. It is temping work and so it is easy to choose when and for how long you would like to work (for example the holidays, on evenings, wednesday afternoons etc).

Cons

It can be difficult joining a team in the middle of a project only for a couple of days as it doesn't give you enough of a chance to get to know people.

Interesting and varied work with the opportunity to meet loads of people.

Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Newcastle (UK) part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to meet a wide range of very interesting people ranging all ages. The university has a very strong ethos when it comes to student experience and environmental practice.

Cons

A single payment method instead of constantly having to fill in financial details.

University of Newcastle (UK) Photos