University of North Carolina

Updated July 31, 2014

3.7

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt
Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees (in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

96 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great school, would attend again!

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great University, Currently a great department, Great town and metropolitan area. Most professors and groups support healthy work-life balance.

Cons

High student fees make compensation less than it seems. Take $2000 off your yearly stipend to find out what you will really be making. Because of the recent scandals at UNC, things tend to get swept under the rug.

Compensation needs to be more, but they are slowly increasing the graduate stipend in my department.

An experience that has left me with new skills but also knowledgeable about the things I DON'T want for my next position

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Little supervision in the sense that I didn't someone breathing down my neck all the time, but always able to find someone if I needed to ask questions or get feedback. Collaboration between programs and research centers was invaluable. Great benefits as an EPA employee (almost 5 weeks vacation!).

Cons

Academia. Other centers may be different than the one I worked for, but I will never work in academia again. Too much thinking and not enough actually making a difference in people's lives.
    With academia also comes the rigid hierarchy. Unlike public agencies on the county or state level, a master's degree is not respected when working with MDs and PhDs.
    Because you are a state employee working at UNC, your opportunities for raises are small. Some flexibility if there is extra money in a grant but otherwise, we've seen very small raises the last few years.

Decent place for graduate work

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, tuition award. Campus is nice to looks at, there is good public transportation in Chapel Hill. My immediate coworkers and supervisor are nice people.

Cons

institutional culture is disconnected from reality. Undergraduates are prideful tools. Institutional culture is poisoned by focus on athletics to the exclusion of improving the university. That and having a blank check.

Less emphasis on NCAA athletics, more emphasis on literally anything else.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frank Porter Graham Student Union

Current Employee - Events Management  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Events Management in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment and great people.

Cons

Over hiring and turbulence in management

There is a lot going on with full time staff such as many of them doing double duty. Fill vacant positions.

a good neplace to do research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

I am in the Biochemistry and Biophysics department. The lab layout is open space lab which promote member interaction between labs and resource sharing.

Cons

Parking is very limited. Most of the employees park outside of the campus and take bus to come into the campus.

Benefit is ok. Working culture is pretty good. People are friendly and willing to help. A good place to start a career.

Good University

Current Employee - Clinical Instructor  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Instructor in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Respectful employer
    Flexible schedule
    Pleasant university atmosphere

Cons

Low pay
    Slow advancement schedule
    Parking is impossible

Fantastic experience as a graduate student

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time for more than a year

Pros

The folks at HSRC are great. I learned a lot about bicycle and pedestrian safety. People here are passionate about the center's mission and share that passion with others. They gave me a lot of opportunities to write articles, go to seminars, and do independent research. They respected my suggestions and published my work pretty quickly, which was gratifying. Pay was decent and hours were flexible. One of my supervisors still keeps in touch and gives great advice. Other students and staff were friendly and we often socialized outside of work.

Cons

Growth opportunities could be better. Would have stayed on if I could, but it's very funding-dependent. It's mostly desk work which can become a little dull at times.

Keep up the great work.

A typical graduate student experience

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Just like other PhD student salary, at least in the bio area. You can live ok with the stipend in chapel hill area.
    The TIBBS often send out "Jobs, Postdocs, and Other Opportunities" emails to students and post-docs.

Cons

Benefit sucks, insurance package is not good. Not just the RA/TA insurance, my staff friends/coworkers told me their previous jobs provide much better benefit and insurance package.

One of the most well equipped universities to complete a postdoc

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

State of the art facilities, plenty of grant money, exciting research. Great people to work with and a great reputation, especially locally.

Cons

You are a postdoc. Bottom of the Ponzi scheme that is academia. Long work hours with minimal compensation. However, it is the system that is broken, not the institution.

More support for postdocs looking for the next step.

Quality university with an abundance of resources

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

From a scientific research standpoint, there are many quality researchers and opportunities for collaboration. The facilities are high quality. Basically anything you need you can find somewhere on campus.

Cons

Transportation can be quite an issue. At peak times, the small roads in and out are extremely congested. Parking is horrendous compared to my former university. They are working on expanding garages, but it will still be an issue.

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!